Close grip incline vs cg flat

  1. Close grip incline vs cg flat


    Which would be better for triceps?


  2. Gosh, I hope you can live long enough to try both instead of sitting at a desk fretting about it.



    ...busting balls man . But seriously, go try both. Seems to me results would vary from one lifter to the next, especially depending on shoulder mobility and bench technique.

  3. I would say flat because generally people can press more from flat than they can from an incline position.
    •   
       


  4. Close grip 3 board. Overload the movement, still get a similar ROM to your comp bench, and protect your shoulders from excessive internal rotation.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

  5. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Close grip 3 board. Overload the movement, still get a similar ROM to your comp bench, and protect your shoulders from excessive internal rotation.
    Funny you mentioned that, what type of pain/injury do you get from excessive internal rotation? I have a nagging shoulder pain on my right side. Feels better now but I still cnt bench for now

  6. I also asked because close grip bench was my favorite for awhile. My thumbs touch when I did this movement

  7. Quote Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

    Funny you mentioned that, what type of pain/injury do you get from excessive internal rotation? I have a nagging shoulder pain on my right side. Feels better now but I still cnt bench for now
    Usually for me it happens at the AC joint, at the end of your collarbone. Which was just recently bothering me from...(drum roll)...heavy close grip incline to the chest. CG Incline is more for pecs and delts, and even for that, I'll use a two or three board usually.

    Edit: thumbs touching is far too close. My close grip is a thumb away from the smooth. It should be pinkie finger where your pointer finger is on your regular bench grip.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

  8. Quote Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post
    close grip bench was my favorite for awhile. My thumbs touch
    Owwwwww? My index finger is on the border between knurling and smooth when I cgbp, which is just enough to put my hands on either side of my chest when the bar touches.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
    Owwwwww? My index finger is on the border between knurling and smooth when I cgbp, which is just enough to put my hands on either side of my chest when the bar touches.
    Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Usually for me it happens at the AC joint, at the end of your collarbone. Which was just recently bothering me from...(drum roll)...heavy close grip incline to the chest. CG Incline is more for pecs and delts, and even for that, I'll use a two or three board usually.

    Edit: thumbs touching is far too close. My close grip is a thumb away from the smooth. It should be pinkie finger where your pointer finger is on your regular bench grip.
    I might have worded that wrong. Here's a pic of how I normally setup my spacing when I do my CG bench on flat bench. Name:  c9594237-8c88-4f2d-8428-dda295e56fd6_2.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  26.5 KB

    My shoulder hasn't gotten better and I'm under physical therapy. Doing mostly internal rotation exercise, stretching & just avoiding any bench work for the next two weeks. I haven't done bb bench for at least two months and im stuck using light DB work. Man I missed benching...

  10. Quote Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

    I might have worded that wrong. Here's a pic of how I normally setup my spacing when I do my CG bench on flat bench. <img src="http://anabolicminds.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10 5493"/>

    My shoulder hasn't gotten better and I'm under physical therapy. Doing mostly internal rotation exercise, stretching & just avoiding any bench work for the next two weeks. I haven't done bb bench for at least two months and im stuck using light DB work. Man I missed benching...
    That's what I thought you meant, and it's still.too close.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

  11. CG for me is about a finger inside of the outer ring, which is about a hand inside of my normal grip width.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  12. I'll obviously have to try it out because everyone is different but could anyone give me their opinion on what's better on the shoulders. Pause close grip incline bench or pause wide grip incline bench? For wide I'm talking about pointer finger on the ring. I'm guessing close might be better?

  13. Quote Originally Posted by SoupNaziNazi View Post
    I'll obviously have to try it out because everyone is different but could anyone give me their opinion on what's better on the shoulders. Pause close grip incline bench or pause wide grip incline bench? For wide I'm talking about pointer finger on the ring. I'm guessing close might be better?
    The further out the grip, the more stress on the shoulder joint.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable

  14. I normally place my index finger about four finger widths away from the smooth inner part of the bar.
    FINAFLEX PRODUCT EDUCATOR
    Visist our website at www.FINAFLEX.com

    ​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-02-2008, 10:16 PM
  2. Pain during Close Grip Benches
    By JasonLift in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-10-2008, 06:12 AM
  3. Verticle Grip Deadlifts vs. Traditional Barbell
    By Highlanda01602 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-30-2007, 09:02 PM
  4. Close grip underhand pull downs
    By spatch in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2006, 06:32 AM
  5. Close-grip Bench
    By Inzah Dude in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-05-2003, 02:52 AM
Log in
Log in