My shins are begging for your help

professorDD87

Awards
I'm not sure if its shin splints or pumps but I can't run jog hardly walk for two days after doing cardio feels like a bruise or pump but its the inner shin near the bottom near a vein I stretch run heal to toe try sprinting running shoes different surfaces nothing seems to help.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Reebok makes a compression sock that could help..friend of mine swears by them.

professorDD87

Awards
this has been off and on for a couple months now

professorDD87

Awards
might have to check then out my feet do have big arches

Wolfy3d2000

Wolfy3d2000

Awards
  • Established
I've also read the shin splints can be a sign of weak calves. I'd let them heal a good while, then maybe add a little more calf work I to your leg day.

professorDD87

Awards
My calves are some of the most muscular I've ever seen in person 16" and really cut lol

professorDD87

Awards
Thats why Im so lost on what to do been thinking of maybe going to Dr but I hate going lol been looking into shin pumps but only been seeing examples of it happening while people are "on" and I havent been taking any supps at all for a while

professorDD87

Awards
Does anyone have expience with tibialis anterior tendonitis just found it and it sound pretty close especially where the pain is originating

jerseyswol

Awards
It's definitely shin splints. Run on a softer surface and try not to strike so hard with your foot (lower impact). The high impact on a hard surface is what leads to shin splints

professorDD87

Awards
It happens on treadmill but does take a little bit longer is there anyway to strenthen so it wont happen anymore? Also I'm normally only out of commision for 2 days then can run again for a lil befor the pain comes back

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Is the pain sharp and localized or more dull and diffuse across the shin?
Is the pain in one leg or both?
Does the leg(s) hurt at rest or only when you put weight on them?
Can you lessen the pain by warming up?

A couple of questions that might help pin down the nature of the injury: pumps vs tendonitis vs stress reaction/fracture

professorDD87

Awards
i would have to say dull but pretty localized and throbs after regaurdless of preasure but if preasure is applied it gets worse both legs and the only thing I know of that relieves the pain are nsaids or maybe vix lol

professorDD87

Awards
Pain is pretty similar to bruise or being kicked in the nuts lol

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Could be shin splints (irritation in the Tib anterior) or possibly the start of a stress reaction (if it hurts as much and in the manner you say).
I agree w/ the trigger point and band work.
Stay away from NSAIDS if you can

professorDD87

Awards
So quick update been doing the trigger point and anterior exercises and gave mu shins another break while doing them I ran today along with other exercises and it hurt more today than ot has in a long time the pain seems to have moved a little higher and more towards the inner calf but I also took preworkout today I maybe got 150yards in befor it hurt so bad I couldnt hardly walk

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
So quick update been doing the trigger point and anterior exercises and gave mu shins another break while doing them I ran today along with other exercises and it hurt more today than ot has in a long time the pain seems to have moved a little higher and more towards the inner calf but I also took preworkout today I maybe got 150yards in befor it hurt so bad I couldnt hardly walk
Not what you want to hear, but this sounds like something you might need to get checked out by a doc-you may have a stress fracture brewing

professorDD87

Awards
that is pretty lame just weird that the pain subsides so quickly pretty much feels fine now but when it was hurting felt like i had very little strength in my foot area oh and i do jump squats and it dont hurt if i do them before it has started hurting

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Work triggerpoints in tibialis posterior. Also a common culprit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408170094.206641.jpg

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
that is pretty lame just weird that the pain subsides so quickly pretty much feels fine now but when it was hurting felt like i had very little strength in my foot area oh and i do jump squats and it dont hurt if i do them before it has started hurting
The fact that it subsides so quick is odd-doesn't quite line up with "not being able to walk".
Makes me think that trigger point work may be of more help, but if it truly is that debilitating, getting it checked out makes a great deal of sense.

professorDD87

Awards
the walking it mostly an issue directly after running but within a couple hours i'm fine for the most part but I'm gonna try that spot and take some time off from running and if that dont do it i guess ill have to go to the dreaded dr

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
medial tibial stress syndrome

easy fix, get some custom orthotics and re-evaluate running technique. Increase stride frequency to reduce stress over longer distances. Work 4 way t bands in the meantime