5/3/1

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.46%

5/3/1

Ok guys I'm starting 5/3/1 again. It's been over a year since I've done this program. I've had really good luck with it in the past. I've always done it with a crew, our gym closed at the beginning of the year. I couldn't afford the gym everyone else started going to, so now I work out solo. We used to do a lot of accessory work with 5/3/1, but I'm not for sure if that was the way we were supposed to work the program. I don't want to over do it and take away from the effectiveness. So how much accessory work do you guys do with 5/3/1? And also do you think it would be counter productive to throw in an arm day on the 5th day, since the program is technically set up for 4 work days?

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.27%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Arm days are ridiculous IMO

Day 1
    5/3/1 DL
    Romanian deadlift
    Front squat

Day 2
    5/3/1 Bench
    Row variant
    Bi/Tri

Day 3
    5/3/1 Squat
    Good mornings
    Lunges

Day 4
    5/3/1 OHP
    Row variant
    Bi/Tri

Vary your volume and intensity on assistance work. You could also add in a supplemental movement following your main lift (Deadlift sets then block pulls, Squats then pause squats, bench then close grip)
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.46%

Ok, thanks. So basically two movemenst in addition to the main movement. Arm days may be rediculous, but i can't think of anything else to do on the fifth day. Also my bench is lagging and I figure the extra tri work might help. And besides, I've been doing curls since I was 14, why stop now.lol
    •   

4. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.27%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Rocktown View Post
    Ok, thanks. So basically two movemenst in addition to the main movement. Arm days may be rediculous, but i can't think of anything else to do on the fifth day. Also my bench is lagging and I figure the extra tri work might help. And besides, I've been doing curls since I was 14, why stop now.lol
    More doesn't mean better and a fifth day isn't necessary. Your bench is most likely lagging due to technique, lack of progression, or you're not eating. A fifth day just for triceps just feels like a waste to me. If you feel a specific area of your bench is weak, then utilize a supplemental movement like I mentioned to address that weakness. Do your 5/3/1 sets and then do 2-3 sets of some heavy close grip bench press's. Obviously you want to do an arm day, and you should do what makes you happy, but just keep in mind that more doesn't always equal better. Varying the volume or intensity of your assistance work, and choosing the right work, may be more beneficial.

2-3 movements in addition to the main movement.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.46%

Thanks for the advice. My bench IS most likely lagging due to technique. Over the past 6 years every other lift has increases exponentially. My bench literally stalls for a year at a time. Any ways. "Arm day " was just an idea to occupy a fifth day without working any of the large muscle groups that had already been taxed from the four days of 5/3/1. Maybe I'll just give up on having a fifth day for a while. 'Cause I'm sure not going in for a cardio day. Thanks again.
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.01%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Arm days are ridiculous IMO

Day 1
    5/3/1 DL
    Romanian deadlift
    Front squat

Day 2
    5/3/1 Bench
    Row variant
    Bi/Tri

Day 3
    5/3/1 Squat
    Good mornings
    Lunges

Day 4
    5/3/1 OHP
    Row variant
    Bi/Tri

Vary your volume and intensity on assistance work. You could also add in a supplemental movement following your main lift (Deadlift sets then block pulls, Squats then pause squats, bench then close grip)
    Quoted for agreement.

OP, read up on boring but big.
    Black Lion Research Representative
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.46%

Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    Quoted for agreement.OP, read up on boring but big.
    I'm doing boring but big. I used the black iron beast calculator. So are you saying I just follow that exactly and only do the two movements per gym day it lays out?
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.27%

You need to buy the book, man
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.46%

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    You need to buy the book, man
    That's what the website suggested too, but i figured they were just trying g to sell stuff.... I wonder if I can get it in "books on tape" format? Lol
  10. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.27%

Quote Originally Posted by Rocktown View Post
    That's what the website suggested too, but i figured they were just trying g to sell stuff.... I wonder if I can get it in "books on tape" format? Lol
    lol it's not a scam. it's a quick easy read. it's the best $20 you can spend because it answers all your questions. search online for a PDF or jimwendler.com
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.61%
    Achievements Posting Pro

The great thing about the book, if have a question, just read the book.

Get the second edition. The beyond book is full of variations and advanced versions and accessory templates. Great if you can prove a reason to need something beyond the basic and can pinpoint exact weaknesses.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.21%

"beyond 5/3/1" can be found online in pdf format very, very easily for free. get it, read it, follow it. between fixing my form and following 5/3/1 bbb as best i could i got my bench back up to my all time 1rm of 275 (at a 198 body weight) and since cutting while still following the program, i hit 250 @167lbs last sunday which is stronger than i've ever been.

bottom line you dont need a 5th day, and especially an "all arms" day
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.6%

Listen to Sean he knows what's he is talking about