Frustrated

Amsterdamned

Amsterdamned

Awards
If it's not one thing it's the other.

This month marks one year of consistent weight training.

Besides minor tweaks here and there I have been relatively injury free with the exception of a little bit of inflammation in my elbow from over use (too much curling) iced and took a break and all seems well.

My split was your typical. Legs one day then Chest/Tri Back/Bi Shoulders/Traps with abs and cardio.

I recently switched to one muscle group per day. Legs / Chest / Back / Shoulders / Rest / Arms / Rest.

My issues now is my right shoulder started giving out on seated dumbbell shoulder press. I used to put up 50's but now I can't manage 35's on the 6th or 7th rep my shoulder gives out. I also have trouble picking the weight up when they rest on my legs. I need an assist.

Why has my shoulder gone to ****?

NO real pain. Just weakness and it gives out.

I do admit that my chest and everything is sore from killing chest and back on tues and wed.

So today I left the gym early, pretty bummed. Didn't want to aggravate anything. I started some lateral raises with 15's and my right shoulder struggles to pick up the weight so I called it a day.

Any Idea whats going on?

I'm one year in the game and don't have a lot of guidance.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The first thing I notice is that you give your arms rest in front of and afterwards and force your big muscle groups to work back to back. I'd either get rid of a dedicated arm day or put back or shoulders day in there and move your arm day or put a rest day in between legs/chest and back/shoulders. Also, I have no idea what you are actually doing for a workout as you just named body areas (not parts), so it is difficult to say if this routine is good or what you may have done to aggravate your shoulder.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The first thing I notice is that you give your arms rest in front of and afterwards and force your big muscle groups to work back to back. I'd either get rid of a dedicated arm day or put back or shoulders day in there and move your arm day or put a rest day in between legs/chest and back/shoulders. Also, I have no idea what you are actually doing for a workout as you just named body areas (not parts), so it is difficult to say if this routine is good or what you may have done to aggravate your shoulder.
Over use is your issue. 3 days in a row of shoulder girdle intensive exercises is what is most likely causing your problem.

sinkheadhxc

Awards
I'd lower the volume immensely. Being that you normally only do 50's on SP and are having shoulder problems is not a good sign.

Your routine is the outline of a typical bodybuilding routine but I would guess you're doing way too much for your level.

Stick to 3-5 sets per movement, and 3-4 movements per day, focusing on compounds.

Your main goal may not be solely strength as much as it is mass and/or aesthetics, but gaining it at the beginning will make putting on mass much easier down the road, not to mention prevent injuries.

As mentioned before, definitely reorganize your days as well. Maybe: 3 leg movements- one bi, 3 chest-1 tri, 3 back-1 bi, 3 shoulder-1 tri. This way u hit different parts of your arms everyday and separate the assaults on your shoulders and get 3 days rest throughout the week to recover.

In other words achieve as much as possible by doing as little as possible and you'll see gains and prevent injuries.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Gives out like feeling paralyzed? Could be radial nerve impingement, which I see from time to time.

Amsterdamned

Amsterdamned

Awards
This week:
Monday: LEGS / squats on smith machine 4x8 180lbs seated leg press 4x8 180-270 lbs. leg curls 4x10 110-130lbs leg extension 4x10 110lbs

Tuesday CHEST flat bench smithmachine 4x8 140-160lbs
Incline bench 4x8 110-130 decline bench 4x8 140lbs
Fly machine 4x8- 150-170 lbs

Wednesday BACK lat pulldown 4x8 140lbs -160lbs reverse lat pulldown 4x8 100-120lbs seated row 4x8 160lbs lawnmower pull 4x8 50-55lbs

Thursday SHOULDERS seated shoulder press 4x8 35 lbs shoulder giving out feel sore cant lift 35lbs off of my leg. I can press it with an assist but i have no strength in my shoulder. I went home and posted this thread.

Going to take some time off start a new routine with your guys help.

Im 5'6" 155lbs.

Amsterdamned

Amsterdamned

Awards
Gives out like feeling paralyzed? Could be radial nerve impingement, which I see from time to time.
I dont have enough strength to lift 35lbs dumbbell from my leg to overhead press.

If I manage to get the weight up, by the 6-7 rep my shoulder gave out and the weight fell rapidly to my leg. (Still gripping the dumbbell)

Today the affected shoulder feels more sore. Taking some aleve

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Any pain at all? What are you lifting in the healthy arm?

Amsterdamned

Amsterdamned

Awards
Any pain at all? What are you lifting in the healthy arm?
Not really just a little sore and discomfort burns a little bit when i hold the phone type sort mail etc.

Left arm i can front raise 25lbs 4x8

right arm something is def up 15 lbs doesnt feel right.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Not really just a little sore and discomfort burns a little bit when i hold the phone type sort mail etc.

Left arm i can front raise 25lbs 4x8

right arm something is def up 15 lbs doesnt feel right.
Exactly where is the burn?

I think this is either bursitis or nerve impingement. Does it hurt to press on the area?

Amsterdamned

Amsterdamned

Awards
It does not hurt if I press or massage the area. The other side feels the same just sore from working chest and back the days before.

The major symptom is the loss of strength. And giving out on me. I cant lower the weight slowly it falls to my leg.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Must be nerve impingement of the auxiliary nerve. Usually happens due to inhibition of the subscapularis, which is the internal rotator part of the rotator cuff.

Stretch lats, teres major, pecs and long head of triceps.

Train subscapularis with internal rotations. That should solve your problem mate.

joebatters78

Awards
Definitely sounds like shoulder impingement a problem in the rotator cuff. It would be wise to look this up and research it as it is a very common problem almost every lifter will run into including myself. When you do this research you will find myriad exercises and stretches that will help you immensely. Rest would also be wise as well as those anti inflammatory medications you mentioned I would take a good five days off from major lifting and start those shoulder therapy exercises. However if the pain continues after that do yourself a favor and see your doctor before you do yourself serious damage that would leave you unable to lift at all. Hope this helps Good Luck.

Amsterdamned

Amsterdamned

Awards
I cant thank you guys enough. Taking some time off. Going to research as much as I can and start shoulder therapy exercise.

One last question, how was this caused? Bad form? Overuse? And how can it be prevented?

Thanks so much!

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
I cant thank you guys enough. Taking some time off. Going to research as much as I can and start shoulder therapy exercise.

One last question, how was this caused? Bad form? Overuse? And how can it be prevented?

Thanks so much!
Probably from poor posture.