How to Schedule Cardio and Squats?

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It's probably a basic question, but how do you schedule your leg days around cardio? I do cardio at 5:00 AM and lift weights at 5:00 PM. So if it isnt a good idea to do my cardio within, say 12 hours, of legs, I lose the morning of and the day following a leg workout. Or is it "OK" to do cardio the morning after. I don't want to burn up any gains I can make on legs through excessive cardio, but also want to keep my cardio up. All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
It's probably a basic question, but how do you schedule your leg days around cardio? I do cardio at 5:00 AM and lift weights at 5:00 PM. So if it isnt a good idea to do my cardio within, say 12 hours, of legs, I lose the morning of and the day following a leg workout. Or is it "OK" to do cardio the morning after. I don't want to burn up any gains I can make on legs through excessive cardio, but also want to keep my cardio up. All help is appreciated. Thanks.
Do your cardio in the morning and the morning after. Your fears are unfounded.

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Do your cardio in the morning and the morning after. Your fears are unfounded.
Sounds good to me. But then, maybe it is only my mind working against me, the days when I've done cardio in the AM and done squats in the PM, I seem to be weaker (I hate to say the "w" word). What's your opinion?

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
If you feel weaker just leave the cardio out in the morning on leg day. Just one day off wont hamper any gains that cardio will give you and legs take up a lot of energy to train. Working them the way you are now wont hurt but if your really wanting to hit the weights as hard as you can then drop the cardio for one day.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Sounds good to me. But then, maybe it is only my mind working against me, the days when I've done cardio in the AM and done squats in the PM, I seem to be weaker (I hate to say the "w" word). What's your opinion?
Anyone that knows me knows I'm a huge advocate of low intensity cardio. If you're doing cardio above 65% Max HR or HIIT, then you're burning up muscle glycogen. So yes, that can have an effect on strength. Go low intensity at least just on leg day and even the day after too. That will help.

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the replies! I'm doing the low intensity cardio already, so I think I'll stick with it and see how things go. At least there were no commnets about age :) , I'm really excited to see that number over to the left roll over in a few days...

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
I find it helps to do 15-20 minutes of cardio before working legs....it helps to warm them up and get blood flowing. I've had a history of knee problems from years of playing hockey, so I do Cardio and hamstrings first.....then I squat.

Gumbo