Push/Pull Twice-a-Week Routine Advice

ragagga

Awards
Hi everyone! I'm 2 months into lifting and nutrition and I want to start this workout routine... What do you think about?

HEIGHT: 6'
WEIGHT: 189 lbs
GOAL: Hypertrophy and mass gain (Put on some weight to 200 lbs)

MONDAY // PUSH
Barbell Bench Press 4x8
Dumbbell Incline Bench Press 4x8
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 4x10
Triceps Cable Pushdown 3x12
Seated Leg Press 4x8
Standing Calf Raise 4x8

TUESDAY // PULL
Cable Seated Row 4x8
Lat Pulldown 4x8
Seated Rear Delt Row 4x10
Dumbbell Curl 3x12
Seated Leg Curl 4x8

WEDNESDAY // REST

THURSDAY // PUSH
Barbell Bench Press 4x8
Dips 4x8
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 4x10
Triceps Cable Pushdown 3x12
Leg Extension 4x8
Standing Calf Raise 4x8

FRIDAY // PULL
Pull-ups 4x8
Cable Seated Row 4x8
Dumbbell Shrug 4x10
Dumbbell Curl 3x12
Lying Leg Curl 4x8

SATURDAY // REST

SUNDAY // REST

Every criticism is appreciated! Thank you very much in advance!!!

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
I'd replace leg press with squats and maybe switch to a push pull legs split

ragagga

Awards
I'd replace leg press with squats and maybe switch to a push pull legs split
Hi! Thanks for the reply... I will put in deadlifts and squat in a next future because I had a low back injury and I don't want to force it. Do you think that doing legs in push-pull days is counter-productive? Is it better to do a specific leg day? In this way I will train 6/week is it not too much volume?

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
I've always liked having a separate leg day not necessarily better its really just a matter of preference

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
Ultimately you gotta experiment what works with you in terms of recovery. Some like more frequency some like less. So just experiment and go with it.

I personally like doing it this way and I've had good success with my clients in this routine but it all alters by person based on recovery rate:.

Pull
Legs (Hypertrophy) - 6-10 Rep range
Push
Off
Legs (Power)
Full Upper (Power) - 1-5 rep range
Rest

On the rest days I'll sometimes to do active recovery and core. Few ab exercises and walk a bit and foam roll. When I'm cutting as I am now I'll do cardio a couple of days and refeed on the Power legs day. But again its all about you man there's no cookie cutter program

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've always liked having a separate leg day not necessarily better its really just a matter of preference
If you're looking for mass and strength you won't get there without a dedicated leg program in you split.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I run through 5-6 routines, but the one thing that they all have in common is 2 leg days a week.

PILL

Awards
Pull
Legs (Hypertrophy) - 6-10 Rep range
Push
Off
Legs (Power)
Full Upper (Power) - 1-5 rep range
Rest
I'm a big fan of this style of training. I do power first part of the week and use the second half to do two upperbody hypertrophy days and a lowerbody dick around day to just try new things like olympic lifting, plyo, or just hit something I feel I've missed that week.

Training strength and hypertrophy every week feels great too. Moving really heavy weight every week is a real confidence booster and it pushes the weights I lift on hypertrophy days up much quicker than training hypertrophy alone.

Hi! Thanks for the reply... I will put in deadlifts and squat in a next future because I had a low back injury and I don't want to force it. Do you think that doing legs in push-pull days is counter-productive? Is it better to do a specific leg day? In this way I will train 6/week is it not too much volume?
Have you considered doing these lower body lifts and just using bodyweight or really light weights? Also, if your lower back is excessively strained by these exercises it sounds like some other muscles in your core are either weak or just not firing correctly. Core activation exercises before lifting can help with that, but don't go hurting yourself just because someone on the internet, like me, suggested you try something....

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i see common noob and bodybuilding mistakes. waaaaay to much volume and way too many exercises. its like you found a massive list of all the exercises you wanted to do and threw them all into a plan.

if you are new to lifting than you are far better off doing a proven program. you could try PHAT or 5/3/1 with the BBB accessory work. and eat a lot.