Cardio Poll

Wafflestomped

Wafflestomped

Awards
Trying to see what people use in order to get from 10-11% down to 7% bf. Assuming nutrition is spot on, what are you go-to's for helping to get the last bit of fat off?

When do you typically incorporate cardio in your routine? Before/after weights, separate days, fasted?

What's your favorite type of cardio?

LISS/MISS/HIIT?

Any supplements you incorporate to aid the cardio session/ fat loss?

max d

Awards
  • Established
I got down to 9% this summer and didn't do cardio until I got to 10% eating 2000 cals. I refused to eat any less so I added to days of HIIT using weights and at the end of my lower body day did a couple 40 yard sprints. Also added an ECA stack. That got me to 9 but realized that I was losing my physique/life balance and stopped dieting. Hope you get to that 7%! Will take a lot of dedication.

Ps
I'm a natty and have personally stayed away from the fasted morning cardio some of the bros live by. Did that for a summer and lost too much muscle. There's also a T-Nation article out there I think that knocks it too.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
I got down to 9% this summer and didn't do cardio until I got to 10% eating 2000 cals. I refused to eat any less so I added to days of HIIT using weights and at the end of my lower body day did a couple 40 yard sprints. Also added an ECA stack. That got me to 9 but realized that I was losing my physique/life balance and stopped dieting. Hope you get to that 7%! Will take a lot of dedication. Ps I'm a natty and have personally stayed away from the fasted morning cardio some of the bros live by. Did that for a summer and lost too much muscle. There's also a T-Nation article out there I think that knocks it too.
I agree with the fasted cardio being very muscle wasting unless your on anabolics!

professorDD87

Awards
Run in between lifts if possible maybe add a fat burner (i recommend pulsing it) HIIT deff the way to go

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
Before I went to Vegas recently I did a different style of cardio which worked for me very well. I did the elliptical for 20 minutes I would Go at about 50to 60 rpm it for two minutes to warm up then full blast as fast as you can go for 30 seconds which should be a 90 to 100+ rpm Then back down to a 60 to 70 range until my heart rate would come back down to about 125 soon as it got to 125 another 30 seconds blast. Did that every other day for three weeks before I went to Vegas and I really saw a massive improvement in that time. Back and fourth for 20 min. In and out quick, short and sweat

max d

Awards
  • Established
Before I went to Vegas recently I did a different style of cardio which worked for me very well. I did the elliptical for 20 minutes I would Go at about 50to 60 rpm it for two minutes to warm up then full blast as fast as you can go for 30 seconds which should be a 90 to 100+ rpm Then back down to a 60 to 70 range until my heart rate would come back down to about 125 soon as it got to 125 another 30 seconds blast. Did that every other day for three weeks before I went to Vegas and I really saw a massive improvement in that time. Back and fourth for 20 min. In and out quick, short and sweat
So you did HIIT?

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
Is it?... I don't know. A guy told me to up it for 30 and down it for 30 but the down wasnt long enough for I just stayed down for as long as I needed...

If that's hiit then I guess that's what I did but it worked well for me.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cardio after workout and fasted.

I make sure I'm loaded with bcaa to avoid muscle loss.

Always worked for me. But I would do HIIT 3-4x per week with no more than 15min. If it gets easy just raise the intensity.

loftylongone

loftylongone

Awards
I do shoulders/arms circuit for my cardio, can give you an example, but mine are all seated as am awaiting my prosthesis. I go for 25-30kg I finish off with some dips after circuit just for fun. Hope this helps..

ForumRunner_20140810_091134.png

EWolfe08

EWolfe08

Awards
I maintain 9-10% Year round. My last competition (which was last month) I was 4.5% (hydrostatic test)...Haven't been tested since then but currently i'm probably around 6-7% (I did a lot of cheat meals!)

During contest prep my diet was extremely clean, yes CLEAN. I did 30 minutes of fasted cardio 6 days per week, Intervals on the stairs. Then, later in the day, I would do 20 minutes walking include treadmill post workout. I did this PRETTY regularly for about 10 weeks, obviously some days I didn't have time to do fasted so I would make up for it post workout, etc.

To maintain, I do 20 minutes interval stairs post workout, 6 days per week. usually on the 7th day (sunday) I'll do a track workout (more HIIT style then anything). While not in prep my diet is not nearly as strict, I reduce my stims (thermogenics) and I increase my food, and do maybe one cheat meal per week, sometimes two.

Two supplements I feel help a lot when in a caloric deficit and trying to drop body fat...A good thermogenic my favorite is eFlow Nutrition ENCINERATE, gives great energy and focus, no crash, and really decreases my appetite which is the highlight for me. I also like a good BCAA, I use a variety including: Purple Wrath, and Metabolic Nutrition's.

Bchesney

Bchesney

Awards
do a quick 5-10 minutes met-con at the end of a training day!

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just walk around the neighborhood on off training days for around 30-45 minutes (beats the treadmill!), and I try to remain a little more active on a daily basis. The biggest difference you can make in terms of calorie burn is to be moving for little things more during the day than seated. When I talk on the phone I pace, I get up to speak to someone in the office vs email, take the stairs, etc. I'm able to maintain 7% body fat like nothing by incorporating those little habits.

jaces

jaces

Awards
Id rather go for low intensity cardio , HIT works glycolytic fibers , so your going to burn carbs as fuel(glycolisis) were low intensity you are going to use oxidative fibers that work threw oxidative phosphirilation , in other words you body is going to favour fat as n fuel

jaces

jaces

Awards
Id rather go for low intensity cardio , HIT works glycolytic fibers , so your going to burn carbs as fuel(glycolisis) were low intensity you are going to use oxidative fibers that work threw oxidative phosphirilation , in other words you body is going to favour fat as n fuel