Votes: 122 69.3%
  • No

Votes: 54 30.7%

• Total voters
natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I was in the gym tonight and noticed that hardly anyone uses a logbook to keep track of their workout. In fact, I don't think I saw a single person with a logbook. I've noticed this before. How is one to gauge his or her progress? Guess? I don't understand it. I believe having a logbook is a very important part of training. It tells you when you've hit a plateau on a particular exercise meaning it's time to move on. Exact weights you've used on previous workouts. How many reps were done, and if those reps were rest paused or straight sets or whatever. I also like throwing in notes on how I felt or how long the workout was. I mean the list goes on and on. I feel that when I use a logbook, that I must beat my previous best on a particular exercise or else I have failed. It gives you something to shoot for. A purpose if you will. I'd just like to know how everyone else thought about it.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Tell us how your routine goes! Keep it logged...

punta

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I dont, but I plan on trying one they seem like a good investment.

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have used a log for the past two years now. On each page there is a section for cardio, strength training, and diet/notes. There is also a weekly wrap-up to record gains, losses, thoughts, and week ending weight. I have found this to be a very effective method of measuring progress and a motivational tool. After all, we all want to continue getting better, and this lets you know where you are slowing down, slipping, etc. I use the diet section to record my supplement routine for the day. This way I can gauge what supplements I am getting the best results with. I doubt I could be as effective without my log and really couldn't imagine working out without one.

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have used a log for the past two years now. On each page there is a section for cardio, strength training, and diet/notes. There is also a weekly wrap-up to record gains, losses, thoughts, and week ending weight. I have found this to be a very effective method of measuring progress and a motivational tool. After all, we all want to continue getting better, and this lets you know where you are slowing down, slipping, etc. I use the diet section to record my supplement routine for the day. This way I can gauge what supplements I am getting the best results with. I doubt I could be as effective without my log and really couldn't imagine working out without one.
Where did you get yours? Ive always just used a cheap spiral pocket notebook, but like the idae of a structured book, especially with an area for diet. Thanks.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Personally I used a plain green hardbacked lined notebook. These are very durable. I got mine from the military, but I'm pretty sure you can get them from Staples or Kinkos or one of those kinds of stores. This way I can structure it the way I want to, not by someone elses standards.

ProBuck

Awards
I did for the first three years but I stopped about 8 months ago.

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
A plain spiral works good for me. It's about half size or so.

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
log it on your computer and print it off,
(after your workouts)

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Where did you get yours? Ive always just used a cheap spiral pocket notebook, but like the idae of a structured book, especially with an area for diet. Thanks.
Look in any bookstore. I picked mine up in Barnes and Noble, but I saw a few in Borders as well. Some are very detailed, offering a separate page for dietary information. The one I have covers a full year, two days a page with a weekly wrap up. I have also seen some logs online that you can just print, but it was easier to use this book. I think I paid like $15 or so for it. Hope this helps.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
used to do it, now I don't. I wanna be on top of things, so I like the idea of journaling, laying out weeks, routines, changes, etc. Keeping notes, logs-sort of. I don't wanna log every damn rep anymore, however, and weight, etc. It's too much work and I found it to take some fun out of it. I suppose I may change my mind again some time. Especially if I am doing a specific cycle and so on, and I want to track very specific goals. Dammit, now I'm feeling guilty for being a slacker!

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I use Excel and make my own cutsom logbooks, been doing this for years now :) I started to when in high school football, they made us. After that I didn't for a bit, and it was a stupid thing to do. You can "remember" things all you want, but written records don't lie and will show you progress over time, I can't believe alot of people at my gym don't either.

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established
I used to, but now I do everything instinctively I guess. But I still keep in my mind how many sets I do and which exercises I have done. The weights I'm moving around don't really bother me much because I'm not a powerlifter.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I should, but I find I can remember what I used and how many reps, so I know when I'm at a platue or not

The Reporter

Awards
Dave Draper has a nice one called Iron and Steel Training Journal. $12.00 at davedraper.com and he autographs it for you too.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I generally find keeping a log is a pain in the ass. I know pretty well what my PRs are for the different ME moves I do, though sometimes the weight I'm moving won't seem to go up in assistance exercises and it'd be nice to have a record there... I'm making great gains lately so it's not as much of an issue as if I were plateaued.

for

Awards
using a logbook gives me goals each and every time i step into the gym

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i use one ... if i didn't i'd never remember what i did for an exercise the last time i did it 3 weeks ago

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I use one as well. I have too much crap to rember anyways.

fightercowboy

fightercowboy

Awards
  • Established
Anyone got a website for a free program for the computer?

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
Anyone got a website for a free program for the computer?
you should just make one yourself using excel or a spreadsheet. I'm sure that u will be much happier with one customized to your needs.

And considering that i sometimes forget my friends' (no joke!!) names, i definately need a logboob,

jverch

Board Supporter
Awards
I use a tiny sprial bound notebook every workout. Lets me know progress of weight/reps for each exercise and I also make small notes for any odd pains (be it joints or other stuff) as well as mental state & energy state so I can judge similar workout conditions.
I use a totally seperate notebook for my diet.
I only see about 25% of the people at the gym using a notebook of some sort during working out...and that's a generous number.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I use Excel and make my own cutsom logbooks, been doing this for years now :) I started to when in high school football, they made us. After that I didn't for a bit, and it was a stupid thing to do. You can "remember" things all you want, but written records don't lie and will show you progress over time, I can't believe alot of people at my gym don't either.
Im with Jweave, design my own in excel, good to look back and see your progress.

50joe

Awards
  • Established
I think it's a must if you're serious, and want to see where you have been, etc.

I go the excel route, but bring a pen and notebook to write down anything that i change during a workout, or if i decide to up my max during one.

At my University gym, i hardly see anyone w/ a notebook/log. Maybe one or two regulars.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Logbooks, imo, are for the beginner and intermediate trainee. When you get to an advanced level, you start do develop a pretty intuitive grasp of your progress, your current work capacity and your strength levels. If ALL you care about is size and you're doing some sort of slow rep TUT stuff where strength gains are very slow coming and small in nature, you might want to keep a log of weight gain, bodyfat and your exercise results, since weight gain, fat gain and strength gain will be somewhat disparate with a routine like that. For a routine that focuses equal attention to strength and size however, there isn't really a need for a workout logbook, except to look back on and laugh (I kept a logbook for a while a few years back, kind of funny to see my 365x5 squat pr from back then :D )

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Logbooks, imo, are for the beginner and intermediate trainee. When you get to an advanced level, you start do develop a pretty intuitive grasp of your progress, your current work capacity and your strength levels. If ALL you care about is size and you're doing some sort of slow rep TUT stuff where strength gains are very slow coming and small in nature, you might want to keep a log of weight gain, bodyfat and your exercise results, since weight gain, fat gain and strength gain will be somewhat disparate with a routine like that. For a routine that focuses equal attention to strength and size however, there isn't really a need for a workout logbook, except to look back on and laugh (I kept a logbook for a while a few years back, kind of funny to see my 365x5 squat pr from back then :D )
I'd have to disagree there, i think for the vast majority a note book is an essential tool, progress is key. But to each his own. ;)

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
And with certain training programs a logbook is a must.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Not keeping a log is only cheating yourself. There's no way someone is going to remember each rep of each set from last weeks workout as well as the past few weeks. If your a PL then that's a different story but a bodybuilder no way man. Maybe if your doing the same workout day in and day out you can but your probably not making progress.

I talk to people all the time and they say yeah I remember then you can see their making some bullshit up when you question them. I guess that's why they make no progress and i do. I can see right there on paper I'm stronger now then I was 3 weeks ago. Which in return will lead to new muscle growth.

wirednut

Awards
Not keeping a log is only cheating yourself.
Being a bit of a nerd and a workout at home person, I've set up a spreadsheet and carry my laptop down to the basement. You're absolutely right, there is no way that'd I would remember anything w/o recording it. Once it was setup, all I have to change is the weight/rep count. It totals per exercise and total day rep count and lift weight. I keep notes of how i feel or any variance that takes place. It really lets me look at my history and where my lift should start for a new day. The numbers are taking a beating due to the SD cycle I'm on.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
When you're not trying to remember sets/reps/tempo/other bullshit, when all you're trying to remember is how much weight you could put up for 1 rep, it's pretty easy :D

wirednut

Awards
I'm not there Ex, still trying to build a framework. I don't know if I'll get to a point that I'm only looking at 1 RM. But hey, I'm going to keep at it. :)

Erekose

Erekose

Awards
I have been training for 15 years and used logs for about a month in total.
While I like the logging, it slows me down and breaks my concentration.

I suppose for some it might help them focus on the task at hand, but not for me.

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
I couldnt' train without a log book. I actually don't use a book but instead my pocket pc with an excel spreadsheet. That way I can view it on my computer also. I get kinda pumped up knowing, for example, that I'm at 315x8 on the squat while I was at 225x10 not so long ago...and knowing exactly what my goal is next workout (315x9) gets me riled up to make that improvement.

But i train alone and at home...I can understand why, at a gym, someone may not want to carry around a notebook or a $500 pocket computer.

davisville64

Awards
Define "logbook"

No, I dont bring a notebook to the gym. I do, however, keep a record of some lifts and all my meauserments on my computer at home.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
dry erase & protrack software. pretty friendly.

captain chet

Awards
i make up weekly workouts on an excell spread sheet and print them out. i mark down what i lifted the week before so i know to bump this weeks workout up.

Boss_K

Awards
  • Established
if you train balls to the wall every time theres no need for a logbook. even if you are weaker, you are still training balls to the wall.....so who needs one?

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I just bring my computer to the gym yea it can be a PIA trying to find an outlet carrying the key board, monitor etc but it REALLY has helped me.

CROWLER

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
if you train balls to the wall every time theres no need for a logbook. even if you are weaker, you are still training balls to the wall.....so who needs one?
If you are getting weaker you are doing something wrong. As long as you are getting stronger constantly you don't need a logbook.

Bobby Nevada

Awards
I like what Doggcrapp says. Something about going to war against the f*cking logbook! If you don't beat your previous weight, than you have to beat the previous reps by at least 2 or the logbook won the war. You than have to find another exercise for that bp and kill your log until it finally beats you again.

I thought that sounded like some bad ass sh*t. :head:

joshingyou

Awards
I've been using two for years. One for exercise, other for diet, notes, supplements, weight etc. Even if I eat **** or whatever, I keep track.

davisville64

Awards
I just started using one today. You can buy it on ebay in 20 years when im MR. O :study:

dmacdbest

Awards
I used to log everything the first few years into it.. weights, supplements, food, sleep, etc. But, for the last 7 years, I just write results on my daily calendar following my workout & keep track that way. I no longer track my food intake, but have a good grasp on what does & does not work for me as far as intake.

joshingyou

Awards
I really can't imaging training without a diet log and workout log. The whole point of doing what we're doing is to achieve results. Since changes are often slow and hardly noticeble we need to be able to measure and review where we are.

If you're adding "chemicals" you'll put yourself in serious harm if you can't track what's going where and what its doing to you.

I believe if you're serious about your body and training, you'll take the time to log.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i make up weekly workouts on an excell spread sheet and print them out. i mark down what i lifted the week before so i know to bump this weeks workout up.
Same here..Can't live without it. If i'm not making progress, then it's time to change it up..

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I don't use one because it seems like everytime I use one, i don't enjoy myself at the gym because I feel like its a straight routine and I can't vary it up much. Guess I'm a free weight lifting thinker? :lol:

kjkriston

kjkriston

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
bump to barnes and noble....got mine there...it has a spot for measurements, goals, how you felt that day, cardio, warm ups...pretty much everything...i think mine was 15$...GREAT INVESTMENT

carib102

carib102

Awards
Bringing common sense to one Beelzebub at a time.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

While I use one and find it invaluble for guaging my progress I rarely see anyone else at my gym using one. OTOH most of the people at my gym look exactly the same now as they did last year. Think there might be a connection?