Adipower shoes for powerlifts?

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Alright so my parents got me some adipower Olympic lifting shoes for my birthday. Sadly they did not realize they got me Olympic lifting shoes rather than powerlifting shoes so should I return them? Or do any of you powerlifters train in adipower shoes or any other Olympic shoes? I mean is there a big difference? Will it really hurt my performance?

I've done research but I keep getting different answers. Thanks guys.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Oly shoes are ballin' for squats. I wish someone gave me a pair.
They'll help put pounds on your back squat, front squat, clean, snatch, maybe even push presses.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oly shoes are ballin' for squats. I wish someone gave me a pair. They'll help put pounds on your back squat, front squat, clean, snatch, maybe even push presses.
Thanks man. What about dead lift? Would it be stupid if I used them for that?

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
In competition? Yeah. In the gym? Nope. It actually makes it a slight deficit deadlift, which should improve your power off the ground eventually. Matter of preference, really.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In competition? Yeah. In the gym? Nope. It actually makes it a slight deficit deadlift, which should improve your power off the ground eventually. Matter of preference, really.
You don't want to ever use these shoes for deadlifts. The elevated heel throws the weight forward and completely alters the biomechanics of the movement. If you want to do an deficit deadlift, then stand on a mat while wearing a flat sole.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good info thanks guys. I'm probably going to return them and get actual PL shoes.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
You don't want to ever use these shoes for deadlifts. The elevated heel throws the weight forward and completely alters the biomechanics of the movement. If you want to do an deficit deadlift, then stand on a mat while wearing a flat sole.
Some guys like it - I gather it's a matter of preference in training style. I remember reading (though damned if I could find where) that Paul Carter would go right from squats to deadlifts without changing out of his oly shoes because he just couldn't be bothered. Said it made it a more quad-centric lift.

On the other hand, if you're talking about sumo deadlifts... yeah, sounds like a bad time.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some guys like it - I gather it's a matter of preference in training style. I remember reading (though damned if I could find where) that Paul Carter would go right from squats to deadlifts without changing out of his oly shoes because he just couldn't be bothered. Said it made it a more quad-centric lift. On the other hand, if you're talking about sumo deadlifts... yeah, sounds like a bad time.
Oly shoes will shift the weight towards the toes and push the shoulders ahead of the bar, both of which are two of the biggest things to avoid while pulling. I can't see any advantages of doing a deadlift while in a shoe that's going to throw off the leverage and angle.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've done research but I keep getting different answers. Thanks guys.
Because everyone squats differently. Keep the tags/stickers on them and try them out for a squat session. That's the only way you'll know.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd keep them for Squats and pretty much everything but Deadlifts. Just Deadlift without shoes if it comes down to keeping the Adipowers or buying something for both. :p

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think I have ever deadlifted in anything other than my socks. I'd keep them and thank your parents for the assist!

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i love my adipowers for lifting. i do squats and its variations in them, overhead work, and other stuff too. i competed in a PL meet this weekend and i even saw guys use them for benching. most of the top squatters used them. well the raw guys, none of the equipped guys did.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OP, I'd keep them and grab a pair of low top Chucks for deadlifts.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I bench and squat in an Olympic shoe. Hang on to those suckers! They make hitting depth easier, make leg drive better if you bench flat footed, and can help you squat better if your ankles don't have great mobility.

The only way they won't be awesome for you is if you have a very wide squat stance where you really sit back and spread the floor AND you bench with your feet way under you with the only contact with the floor being the balls of your feet. Otherwise you will get great use out of them.

Keep in mind, Chuck Taylor's are cheap and oly shoes are expensive. You already have the oly shoes now, it would suck to learn you like them better and spend your own $150 on them.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You guys are awesome. I'm going to keep the shoes and get some chucks just for deadz.

I tried to thank some of you guys but it wouldn't let me. But seriously thanks again.

CheslinK

CheslinK

Awards
I use my AdiPowers for my narrow stance squats... I'll try them tonight for benching.

I use my Chucks for deadlifts and wide stance squats.