Lower Lat Tie In and overall BACK help

  1. New Member
    Kingmars's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    45
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    72.77%

    Lower Lat Tie In and overall BACK help


    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  83.1 KB

    Just competed in my first physique competition, and now it's time to improve upon my initial showing. I'd like some help targeting my lower lat tie ins and my mid back. All constructive criticism welcome as long as you over a some tips to remedy my shortcomings. Thanks in advance guys!

  2. New Member
    kjetil1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Age
    27
    Posts
    147
    Rep Power
    833
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    44.95%

    Rows with a wide grip solved this issue for me!
  3. Senior Member
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    115628
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    48.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Do you do a steady diet of...

    deadlifting (types)
    Hypers
    Bent rowing
    Shrugging
    High Pulls perhaps
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    Kingmars's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    45
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    72.77%

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    Do you do a steady diet of... deadlifting (types) Hypers Bent rowing Shrugging High Pulls perhaps
    Yeah...all those. I never really feel a pump in my lats or my rhomboids.. My traps yeah, but my lats and mid back never seem to respond no matter how much weight I'm moving.
  5. Senior Member
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    115628
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    48.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Hmmm, hard to say!? Maybe some of it has to do with cals or the restriction thereof or maybe carbs?
    They (the back) is a large slabby group. Not like say arms or delts etc. It is easy to pump a smaller muscle up that has shorter insertion points etc. See what I mean?
    Also, perhaps changing the execution of said exercises and or the weight loads, volume, frequency used too!? But I am sure you are not new to that either!?
    Not that a pump is the be all end all to gains, but I see what you're saying.
    Still, for your level of vascularity, your back is not very bad IMHO. Although I have never judged a show, so take that for what it is worth.
  6. New Member
    Kingmars's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    45
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    72.77%

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    Hmmm, hard to say!? Maybe some of it has to do with cals or the restriction thereof or maybe carbs? They (the back) is a large slabby group. Not like say arms or delts etc. It is easy to pump a smaller muscle up that has shorter insertion points etc. See what I mean? Also, perhaps changing the execution of said exercises and or the weight loads, volume, frequency used too!? But I am sure you are not new to that either!? Not that a pump is the be all end all to gains, but I see what you're saying. Still, for your level of vascularity, your back is not very bad IMHO. Although I have never judged a show, so take that for what it is worth.
    Thanks, Paul! I'm just looking to probably get wider and thicker, but I definitely know I want more of a gradual taper, rather than a huge drop off between my upper and lower lats. I'd just really like to put some meet on my rhomboids along with those aforementioned lower lats.
  7. New Member
    kjetil1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Age
    27
    Posts
    147
    Rep Power
    833
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    44.95%

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingmars View Post
    Yeah...all those. I never really feel a pump in my lats or my rhomboids.. My traps yeah, but my lats and mid back never seem to respond no matter how much weight I'm moving.
    Sounds like your scapula doesn't lock properly with the serratus anterior. This will inhibit the lats.
  8. New Member
    Kingmars's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    45
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    72.77%

    Quote Originally Posted by kjetil1234 View Post
    Sounds like your scapula doesn't lock properly with the serratus anterior. This will inhibit the lats.
    Any cues or tips you can offer to fix this, my man?
  9. New Member
    kjetil1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Age
    27
    Posts
    147
    Rep Power
    833
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    44.95%

    Lower Lat Tie In and overall BACK help


    Well, kind of hard without being with you. Basically you need to make sure the scapula locks down posteriorly as you pull down, in or whatever. You do NOT want the scapula to wing out, excessively retract or protract(rare), anteriorly rotate, etc

    If the scapular is elevated (dysfunctional stabilization), the trapz will be targeted(which you have confirmed, so that's a quite positive indication of dysfunctional scapular articulation). Also shoulder and neck pain etc may be experienced.

    My first tip is to work your serratus a lot. Push ups or scapular push ups with a band are king. Keep to weights where you're able to lock (properly stabilize) the scapula according to the exercise. Most of the time, it should lock in the posterior position.

    Hope this helps.
  10. Senior Member
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    115628
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    48.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingmars View Post
    I'd just really like to put some meet on my rhomboids along with those aforementioned lower lats.
    2 cents...
    I think of some oly lifters backs like Rigert comes to mind or even Bob Peoples. A really thick (especially lower back) for a little guy.

    Thickness and meat!?
    How much do you DL or what is your working weights say?
    "Meat" per se, IMHO, comes from some power and some heavy pulling work from the floor.
  11. New Member
    Kingmars's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    45
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    72.77%

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    2 cents... I think of some oly lifters backs like Rigert comes to mind or even Bob Peoples. A really thick (especially lower back) for a little guy. Thickness and meat!? How much do you DL or what is your working weights say? "Meat" per se, IMHO, comes from some power and some heavy pulling work from the floor.
    Yeah sorry for the misspelling. Sometimes when I'm typing too fast I'll do that. But right now I'm DL'ng 405 max working sets 365x5-6. This offseason I'm going to look to increase it though.
  12. Senior Member
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    115628
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    48.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    No prob on spellck haha. I catch myself all the time, no engrish major here for me.
    That is some good working DL weight.
  13. New Member
    CheslinK's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  76 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    208
    Rep Power
    184955
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    61.57%

    Quote Originally Posted by kjetil1234 View Post
    Well, kind of hard without being with you. Basically you need to make sure the scapula locks down posteriorly as you pull down, in or whatever. You do NOT want the scapula to wing out, excessively retract or protract(rare), anteriorly rotate, etc

    If the scapular is elevated (dysfunctional stabilization), the trapz will be targeted(which you have confirmed, so that's a quite positive indication of dysfunctional scapular articulation). Also shoulder and neck pain etc may be experienced.

    My first tip is to work your serratus a lot. Push ups or scapular push ups with a band are king. Keep to weights where you're able to lock (properly stabilize) the scapula according to the exercise. Most of the time, it should lock in the posterior position.

    Hope this helps.
    Great advice!
  14. New Member
    Kingmars's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    45
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    72.77%

    Quote Originally Posted by kjetil1234 View Post
    Well, kind of hard without being with you. Basically you need to make sure the scapula locks down posteriorly as you pull down, in or whatever. You do NOT want the scapula to wing out, excessively retract or protract(rare), anteriorly rotate, etc If the scapular is elevated (dysfunctional stabilization), the trapz will be targeted(which you have confirmed, so that's a quite positive indication of dysfunctional scapular articulation). Also shoulder and neck pain etc may be experienced. My first tip is to work your serratus a lot. Push ups or scapular push ups with a band are king. Keep to weights where you're able to lock (properly stabilize) the scapula according to the exercise. Most of the time, it should lock in the posterior position. Hope this helps.
    Good lookin out! I've tried locking my scap and can totally feel the difference. I'm working on strengthening my serratus to assist.
  15. New Member
    kjetil1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Age
    27
    Posts
    147
    Rep Power
    833
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    44.95%

    Lower Lat Tie In and overall BACK help


    Quote Originally Posted by Kingmars View Post
    Good lookin out! I've tried locking my scap and can totally feel the difference. I'm working on strengthening my serratus to assist.
    Good. The elbows need to be pulled to the chest and slightly backward. Not horizontal, like it would if the scapula is not functioning properly, and don't allow the arms to internally rotate either. Happy to hear it bro!
  16. New Member
    Kingmars's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    45
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    72.77%

    Quote Originally Posted by kjetil1234 View Post
    Good. The elbows need to be pulled to the chest and slightly backward. Not horizontal, like it would if the scapula is not functioning properly, and don't allow the arms to internally rotate either. Happy to hear it bro!
    Sorry, Brotha. What'd you mean by "elbows pulled to the chest and slightly backward. not horizontal"?
  17. New Member
    kjetil1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Age
    27
    Posts
    147
    Rep Power
    833
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    44.95%

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingmars View Post
    Sorry, Brotha. What'd you mean by "elbows pulled to the chest and slightly backward. not horizontal"?
    No problem man. The elbows should be pointing(and moving) down the exact same way as the way you're pulling. Not stick out backward, which it will if the scapula isn't kept stable (and the trapz will be targeted instead).

    Hope this helps bro
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Need my size and strength back. Help with proposed stack!
    By Blue Reflex in forum Supplements
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-10-2013, 06:12 PM
  2. Back width and lower lats flar width
    By John Smeton in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 07:05 AM
  3. Sharp pain in lower abs with squats and DL
    By hypo in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 02:40 AM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-31-2004, 08:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in