Bench Press / Smith Press

1. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Bench Press / Smith Press

What do you guys think using the smith machine for chest actually adds to your numbers?

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.97%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Peppers View Post
    What do you guys think using the smith machine for chest actually adds to your numbers?
    Are you comparing numbers between smith press bench and barbell bench press, or are you asking will training on it provide carryover to increase your numbers in barbell bench press? Sorry, just trying to understand the question better.

If it's the first: The two are not comparable.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  3. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.17%

We'll I use the smith to do decline presses because I workout solo, no spotter.

My decline press max on the smith is about 100lbs over my barbell flat bench.

Didn't know if it's really from using the smith, because it's decline vs flat, or a combo of both.
    I don't really have a sticking point using the smith on decline.

Flat bench max is roughly 350
    Decline smith is 455

I'd like to get my bench up over that 400 mark naturally.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.29%

pressing in the Smith is much more easier, so you can handle a lot more pounds
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

Some Smith's, have a counter weight balance in them, so the real weight on the bar, minus the counter weight.

The thing you have to watch is, it is a dedicated straight bar par path and not a "natural essy path" of your shoulders.
  6. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.17%

I always assumed 30-45lbs in difference from free weight vs smith. However the 100lb gap just threw me off a bit.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.57%

I always assumed 30-45lbs in difference from free weight vs smith. However the 100lb gap just threw me off a bit.
    Keep in mind, that's 100 pounds decline over flat bench - you can probably decline a little more than your flat bench, especially since the ROM is much less.
  8. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.17%

Quote Originally Posted by HIT4ME View Post
    Keep in mind, that's 100 pounds decline over flat bench - you can probably decline a little more than your flat bench, especially since the ROM is much less.
    True, makes sense.

When you guys are strength training to up your numbers on the bench, do you guys use added volume or just switch excercises or what? I'm stuck around that number. Seem like no matter how I go at it.

My other lifts are gradually increasing steady though.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.57%

True, makes sense.

When you guys are strength training to up your numbers on the bench, do you guys use added volume or just switch excercises or what? I'm stuck around that number. Seem like no matter how I go at it.

Well, you bench press quite a bit more than I do, so I may not be "qualified", but in my experience there is always a point at which the gains become harder. Sometimes less volume is the answer, but it depends on a lot of factors.

Personally, I haven't really benched at all up until this week (been back at training for 18 months after about a decade off). I focus more on dumbbell flyes, dumbbell presses, dips. I am focusing on compound exercises more now, so I've added the bench in and dropped a bunch of other stuff.

Sometimes, you push so hard trying to increase your weights that you start to go too heavy. I have a lot of times that I've been in the 6-8 rep range with a weight, hit 8 or 9 reps and increased the weight by 5 or 10 pounds the following week only to get stuck at that weight for a LONG time. Sometimes you are just pushing too hard and you need to back off the weight and focus on the movement and the muscle a little more. Pre-exhaust techniques also help with this - do your flyes before the bench so that you HAVE to drop the weight. You know you've already fried yourself, so your ego won't be as hurt by the lighter weights.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.65%

True, makes sense.

How often are you training on the bench?
    What does a typical week look like for you (even if you just post up the chest exercises you are doing in a given week)?
    The journey of balancing a healthy lifestyle as a father & a husband. - LiftingDad.com
  11. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.17%

Quote Originally Posted by Lifting_Dad View Post
    How often are you training on the bench? What does a typical week look like for you (even if you just post up the chest exercises you are doing in a given week)?
    Chest / Back / off / Legs / Shoulders / Repeat
    Arms usually get 1-2 burnout sets at the end of sessions a few days a week, but that's it for arms, no arm day.

Chest Example
    Flat Bench ( maybe DB also )
    Incline DB or BB
    Decline Smith
    Dips
    Flys or Pullovers

Switch up every session between DB & BB.
    DB sets bewteen 3-4 sets for 8-12 reps.
    BB sets between 4-5 sets for 6-10 reps.
    Usually DB sets on last 2 are drop sets.
    Decline Smith would peak at 405 or so for reps 4-8 then drop to 315 for reps 15-20, 225 for 15-30 depending on what I start the session with.

I used to train for 20-25 sets, but recently have been focusing more on intensity and drop sets for about 16 sets.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.65%

Chest / Back / off / Legs / Shoulders / Repeat
    Arms usually get 1-2 burnout sets at the end of sessions a few days a week, but that's it for arms, no arm day.

Chest Example
    Flat Bench ( maybe DB also )
    Incline DB or BB
    Decline Smith
    Dips
    Flys or Pullovers

Switch up every session between DB & BB.
    DB sets bewteen 3-4 sets for 8-12 reps.
    BB sets between 4-5 sets for 6-10 reps.
    Usually DB sets on last 2 are drop sets.
    Decline Smith would peak at 405 or so for reps 4-8 then drop to 315 for reps 15-20, 225 for 15-30 depending on what I start the session with.

I used to train for 20-25 sets, but recently have been focusing more on intensity and drop sets for about 16 sets.
    What is your overall goal?
    Are you a bodybuilder, Powerlifter, or a weightlifter?

If you are a weightlifter this approach is fine. As a Powerlifter or bodybuilder I'd focus on more frequency with more intensity.
    Hit major body parts twice per week.
    One day aim for 80%+ of 1RM
    The other day aim for 60-75% 1RM.
    The lighter days will depend on how heavy you go on the heavier days.
    So if you went for 90% on heavy I'd go for 75% on the lighter day.
    The journey of balancing a healthy lifestyle as a father & a husband. - LiftingDad.com
  13. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.17%

Quote Originally Posted by Lifting_Dad View Post
    What is your overall goal? Are you a bodybuilder, Powerlifter, or a weightlifter? If you are a weightlifter this approach is fine. As a Powerlifter or bodybuilder I'd focus on more frequency with more intensity. Hit major body parts twice per week. One day aim for 80%+ of 1RM The other day aim for 60-75% 1RM. The lighter days will depend on how heavy you go on the heavier days. So if you went for 90% on heavy I'd go for 75% on the lighter day.
    Weight lifter..
    However, it may be time to take the approach of a powerlifter if my goal is to increase my numbers as I stated.

I've always liked the 4 day split for myself personally, it's what I found best for strength and size over the years and it's easy to maintain consistency. However, my gains have slowed in this area recently.

I'd thank you guys, but I can't, so Thanks!
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.65%

Weight lifter..
    However, it may be time to take the approach of a powerlifter if my goal is to increase my numbers as I stated.

I've always liked the 4 day split for myself personally, it's what I found best for strength and size over the years and it's easy to maintain consistency. However, my gains have slowed in this area recently.

I'd thank you guys, but I can't, so Thanks!
    I'd definitely look into breaking things into a push/pull/chest&arms/legs/back&shoulders or something similar.
    You could do push/pull and have it 4 days per week.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Smith machine for Bench Press?
    By Est1969 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 03-31-2012, 04:40 AM
  2. Bench Press - Smith Machine vs. Standard
    By big daddy in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-04-2009, 04:15 AM
  3. Great lower range bench move... Key Press
    By borobulker in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 12:39 AM
  4. Reverse-Grip Bench Press on Smith Machine for Triceps
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-21-2008, 05:58 AM
  5. Forearm pain when benching or military presses.
    By flytrapcan in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 03:57 PM