Squat with no rack

Stretchio

Awards
Right the gym I'm using has barbells and a smith machine but no rack.... I know tw@ts.

Unfortunately I am on an oil rig so definitely no option to find another gym.

So the question is what I should do for the month I'm on the rig? Hack squats, clean and press into back squat, clean into front squat, leg press?

Sorry if this has been asked before, i'm sure it has but crap at searching.

Thanks in advance brahs

CNPComicNerd

Awards
Does it have dumbbells? You can certainly clean into front squats/lunges and press into back squats(especially if you can have a partner load it even more when its on your back). But if you have dumbbells too then you can heavy goblet squat, lungs, bulgarian split squat, etc.

You're not ever going to be able to truly test your strength on either front or back squat without a rack so focusing on accessory lifts and such will be your best bet which is why I talked about lunges and split squats. You'll probably also want to add in good mornings and maybe add in medium weight speed squats or jump squats. That way you don't go heavy but you get the benefit.

Stretchio

Awards
cheers pal, good advice - they have dumbbells but max 25kg and I can squat holding two of them 30+.

What about the hack squat with barbell?

Im trying to do the strong lifts 5x5 but without using the smiths machine its pretty difficult!

CNPComicNerd

Awards
I've never hack squatted before so i can't give advice on that, sorry. Yeah if the db's are only 25kg then thats not great but they'll work for split squats and lunges.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
learn how to do steinborns. you can also power clean and then do front squats.

Stretchio

Awards
I looked at steinborns. I really didn't like the look of them safety wise....

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
If you can find a heavy enough dumbbell or kettle-bell I have always liked wide-stance goblet squats. I can get a great ROM quite comfortably and really feel the stretch everywhere. As the weight is up front this is also a pretty good abdominal strengthener with good form.

Stretchio

Awards
25kg is heaviest DB unfortunately. Very safety conscious on these rigs!

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
I looked at steinborns. I really didn't like the look of them safety wise....
its safe enough to be a competitive lift in the USAWA. like any lift, just do it properly and you will be fine.

your other options are single leg squats, split squats, pistols, and/or step ups.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Since you will be focusing on deadlifts also, is there any reason you can't just use the smith machine for squats? I know you can probably pack on some more weight and it won't be quite as good from a stabilizer perspective, but it seems every option available has some limitation. You could also do front squats.

What about a leg press or leg extension machine? Are these available? It sounds like you could do hack squats on a machine so those may be a good option too.

It isn't ideal, and the other options could be good, but given that you are lacking in heavy weights on the dumbbells/kettle bells that are available to you, I am guessing you may be better off going heavier on a machine and accepting what it is. I mean, you could also throw 95 pounds on a barbell and do squats without a rack if you're willing to go with weights that are lighter than what you need....

Stretchio

Awards
cheers hit4me - thats basically what I've decided to do - use the smith machine for squats with leg press, hack squats, goblet squats and front squats mixed in. As the smith squats get heavier I will probably have to just do them alone.

Annoying that they have spent money on 3.. yes 3 smith machines when they could have just got a few racks! I've enquired about it and apparently its a health and safety issue of being on a rig that could move during exercise!

ThaGerGuy3000

Awards
Some oldschool strongman used to lift up one side of the barbell step under it , go down to a low squat, get the barbell in position did a squat and set the barbell down. That was one rep of whatever you call that. Obvious restriktion would be whatever is used to hold the plates.

Sorry I got no names but I only read about it some time ago anf never tried because it wouldnt work at my gym.

You could always leg press using a barbell and people to hold it on your feet as you lie on your back, I thimk Zercher did that.

Other than that, high reps with lower weight aka dumbells aren't the worst thing in the world.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Some oldschool strongman used to lift up one side of the barbell step under it , go down to a low squat, get the barbell in position did a squat and set the barbell down. That was one rep of whatever you call that. Obvious restriktion would be whatever is used to hold the plates.

Sorry I got no names but I only read about it some time ago anf never tried because it wouldnt work at my gym.

You could always leg press using a barbell and people to hold it on your feet as you lie on your back, I thimk Zercher did that.

Other than that, high reps with lower weight aka dumbells aren't the worst thing in the world.
It's called a steinborn squat