surgically removed muscle?!?!?

M

max d

Awards
  • Established
Does anybody know if muscle can grow back from where it was surgically removed? I had thoracic outlet surgery 2 years ago, the first rib on my right side removed and two scalene muscles released in order to alleviate pressure from an artery/vein in my shoulder area. I did incline bench for 6 months trying to get it back but felt like I wasn't gaining any strength in that movement. Stuck to flat bench and got up to benching 300. So, after a year of bulking up to 195 and cutting down to 175 I still have a whole in my upper inner area of my peck and still can only incline reps of 145.

I just did a bunch of research and came up empty handed. Read about satalite cells reproducing and a bunch of other stuff.

Long story short, will I ever be able grow muscle back in the portion of my chest where I had muscle removed??? If it can any suggestions on certain movements or just stick with the basic hypertrophy 8-12 reps?

M

max d

Awards
  • Established
Randomly found what I was looking for on an unrelated google search: Hypertrophy vs. Hyperplasia

Hypertrophy occurs when a damaged muscle fiber becomes thicker after healing. Conversely, hyperplasia defines the creation of new muscle fibers in response to exercise. Although both options could increase muscle size and strength, it is generally accepted that human muscle fibers perform hypertrophy instead of hyperplasia -- meaning you cannot grow new muscle fibers. Although muscular hypertrophy has been confirmed, investigation into the possibility of hyperplasia within human muscle continues.

Looks like i wont be wasting my time doing incline bench any more...

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I had this problem when I had surgery. I felt like some of my left upper pec was cut when they operated on my shoulder. It was smaller than the opposite side for a while. I did a bunch of extra work on that one side for a very long time, and it seems like things have balanced themselves out now and filled in so that I can't really tell anymore.

Most of that extra work was cable work.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Maybe look into IGF-1 & MGF, I can't say for certain they're effective but they're the only thing that I know of that MAY result in SOME hyperplasia

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
^ Yup, and you could try localized spot injections.

Only other thing is to hope that training that side a little more can help balance it out by filling in a bit more of the other muscle around the area.

M

max d

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice gents! Ill prob try just hitting it more with different lifts and if that doesn't work look into igf or mgf.