Training Routine Help

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.72%

Training Routine Help

Hi all. I'm 16 (almost 17) and have been training for almost 2 years. Almost a year of that time was dedicated to weight loss which brought me to an almost anorexic weight. Since then, I can say I've spent roughly a year using a bodybuilding approach and have made impressive gains. My goal is hypertrophy although I am making decent strength gains in the process. Without getting too in depth and boring you all, my question is this: Should I continue my current advanced routine of 4 day split or 5-6 training days per week, or try a full body plan designed for beginners that supposedly leads to more temporary muscle gain?

Although my experience with actual weightlifting is just over a year, I feel as though I have broken past the "newbie gains" period and should continue training as is. As mentioned before, my focus is on hypertrophy and maximising this would benefit me.

Thanks

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.92%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

There have been a lot of younger guys that ask this question, and the general answer around here seems to be "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If you are making gains, and you enjoy your program, stick with it. Being 17, you are starting at an age that I wish I did! (I'm 33). You will continue to make those gains if you just stay dedicated and focused. Keep it up man!
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.82%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Wrivest View Post
    There have been a lot of younger guys that ask this question, and the general answer around here seems to be "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If you are making gains, and you enjoy your program, stick with it. Being 17, you are starting at an age that I wish I did! (I'm 33). You will continue to make those gains if you just stay dedicated and focused. Keep it up man!
    This right here OP.

The single, VERY BEST, thing you can do to set yourself up for success.

Is make sure your diet is down to a T...
    Orbit Nutrition Representative!
    Follow Tagger On YouTube! - http://goo.gl/lAvXUX
    Tagger's THE1 Log - http://goo.gl/kR1jRm
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.84%

As has been said above, I think that you should focus on milking all you can out of what you are currently doing if it is leading to consistent progress. The real key to all of this is time and progression. If you change your routine too often, you can't accurately monitor your progression. Keep it simple and focus on adding reps/weight every workout if you can.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.72%

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated I'll take your advice and continue with what I'm doing seeing as it's working! As for my nutrition, I don't count my macros although my diet consists of lean meats, sweet and reg potato, fruit and vegies and whey protein post workout. I'm not a fan of dirty bulking and consider a cheat meal eating at a restaurant haha.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.92%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Your metabolism is still way high. So don't sweat clean eating Too Too much. Don't get me wrong, it's important, but at the same time, don't fear calories. If you have a "fatazz" day, just lift SUPER heavy and you will be A-ok mah man!!!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Help with training routine
    By cwpaterson89 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 11:31 AM
  2. Help make me a training routine!
    By Animosity in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 11:53 PM
  3. My new training program (HELP!)
    By SummusMentis in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8