Deload week?

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
Its been 3months since my last deload.. Usually i just take 1 week off training but now I'm cutting so i'd prefer to still burn some kcals trough my workouts..
I never been doing an active deload week.. Should I just reduce by 50% weights and sets?

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Thats pretty close to how I do mine. If I feel good I'll go up to 65-70%, but no higher. Do that and eat SUPER clean for a week and u'll feel like a million bucks

SLW2

SLW2

Awards
How often do people take a week off? Or do you just do a deload and then keep going?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Few diff ways to skin the car. How Wrivest mentioned, working below %70 of 1RM of your primary lift, is one way. You can also keep the intensity up (%80-90 of 1RM) but greatly reduce the volume.

As for my assistance work, I'll either turn the volume or intensity down just a tad. I just won't go balls to the wall. It really doesn't change all that much. You can still be building muscle or burning cals.

As for when to deload, you should deload before you say "Damn, I really need to deload" You're not going to get any weaker. In fact, you'll most likely come back stronged.

Depending on your programming, you could deload every 4-6 weeks.

The only fully weeks OFF from the gym I'll take, is vacation time.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It used to be, before "deloads" there was just, taking a break ie: week off from any weight training. Easier to gauge after a routine cycle say and you hit some new gains/PR's.
I think deload came more about for the PL or strength athlete that needed to wave intensity and or get away from lots of heavy attempts and kicking the CNS hard all the time.
It is more a preference for the masses of how you want to take it easier for a spell.
I like to train, so I don't take a week off much (maybe on vacations etc) but I do wave the intensity thru routine cycles perhaps monthly or so.

As for when to deload, you should deload before you say "Damn, I really need to deload" You're not going to get any weaker. In fact, you'll most likely come back stronged.
^ This is probably the best advice. It may take a little practice for the less advanced trainee to know his limits and body before getting here, but this is a good summation IMO and will admit I push past when I should have backed off for that fear of losing ground.

dieseljay74

dieseljay74

Awards
I agree deloading is beneficial. Just gotta hate that "deflated" feeling the whole week...lol

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree deloading is beneficial. Just gotta hate that "deflated" feeling the whole week...lol
Why are you deflated? You can still hit higher rep/lower intensity for hypertrophy purposes. Just tailer back your compound movements to get the CNS a break.

dieseljay74

dieseljay74

Awards
Why are you deflated? You can still hit higher rep/lower intensity for hypertrophy purposes. Just tailer back your compound movements to get the CNS a break.
Just a figure of speech...

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just a figure of speech...
Yes I realize that. I assume you meant not as pumped as if you would be working out. That's why I asked why you would feel that (unless of course you take a full week off)

dieseljay74

dieseljay74

Awards
Yes I realize that. I assume you meant not as pumped as if you would be working out. That's why I asked why you would feel that (unless of course you take a full week off)
No I take a full week off...hen e the deflation.

Going forward, I will deload with lite weights and high reps most likely

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Time off isn't all that bad either. I don't like taking a whole week, but 4-5 days then I few light weight days to get back in the swing. Then it's a few days at 80+ % before maxing out.

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
How long do you guys take a week of deloading/off?
i usually do it every 3 months

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just for another opinion, my deloads are just large decreases in volume. My intensity (% of 1rm) stays similar.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
^I like that. The last 10 weeks, I've deloaded every third week. I just hit around 70-80% for a few singles.

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
Its been 3months since my last deload.. Usually i just take 1 week off training but now I'm cutting so i'd prefer to still burn some kcals trough my workouts.. I never been doing an active deload week.. Should I just reduce by 50% weights and sets?
Most of the deloads in the literature and books, (wilson, verkhoshansky), reduce volume and not intensity. If you finish working at 80% intensity for most sets, then your deload would remain the same but cutting overall volume in half

wolfpack893

wolfpack893

Awards
  • Established
i enjoyed taking a deload week every 4th week of 5/3/1 but i feel like my body was good to go until 7-8 weeks and then I'd actually really need a deload

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just for another opinion, my deloads are just large decreases in volume. My intensity (% of 1rm) stays similar.
I split between this and actually taking a full week off- dependent on what the routine I am coming out of was. Volume taxes me much more than % of 1RM and I usually need a full break if it is a volume heavy routine.