getting big not strong

bananaClip

bananaClip

Awards
  • Established
ive been consistently getting stronger in the gym... i can either push more weights or more reps. but i am not putting on mass!

i weigh roughly the same... i look a tad more define and fuller muscles compare to 6 months ago. but im not putting on mass!

im not trying to look like jay cutler neither do i want to(i wouldnt be able to even if i did) but still my point being im not getting big. so how do i fix that?

does the way i train matter? i warm up with light weights high reps then i do my normal heavy low reps

does the way i eat matter? i barely eat fast food but i do have a standard american diet. which is a lot of protein but even more carbs with a sprinkle of greens

help me get some mass on me!!

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
What is your training routine like?? What rep-range are you working in?? Diet??

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
How long have you been lifting all together? Have you changed up your routine much within those 6 months? Your diet does need to be more than a sprinkle of greens, and the carb sources should be considered as well. Sounds like you have been recomping well and now want a little size added which isnt a bad thing. Just make sure the weight you desire is what you want. Nothing worse then sitting down one day and wonder WTF is that on my lap lol

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i weigh roughly the same... i look a tad more define and fuller muscles compare to 6 months ago. but im not putting on mass!
You are but you probably burn some fat and replace it with lean tissue, so your weight kinda hovers around the same level. Putting size on naturally, without a large calorie surplus, can be a slow process. Maybe #5-#7 pounds a year of actual "lean mass", I know doesn't sound like much, but try and eat 7 pounds of steak. It is a great deal of beef.

my point being im not getting big. so how do i fix that?
As was first mentioned, eat more good quality food for one, and as another poster said, what does your routine look like exactly?
Are you using a good deal of compound lifts to add as much overall mass to the large body parts?

Goals?
What are you trying to attain first and foremost?
When trainees are in the beginning stages, it is easy to add strength, since a few systems (mainly the CNS) is involved in recruiting more receptors and unused fibers to move the resistance (load). As you get on in training, that changes and you also have to gain more mass to elicit more strength and thus more mass etc., but you do have to eat enough, especially if one is inclined to be thinner, or carry less fat to begin with.
A caveat is, if one is trying to stay trim and ripped and have a tight six pack, but also gain big mass in places, it can be kinda tough to do both.
It is most likely another reason why the word bulking came into play for lifters back in the 60's maybe. It is just another, kinder way of saying, gaining some fat/adipose tissue along with lean mass tissue.

bananaClip

bananaClip

Awards
  • Established
i appreciate all the replies.

i have been lifting weights for almost 3 years altho ive never consistently lifted over a 10 month span...
i do 90% compound lifts and 10% iso like cable flys.
for example yesterday i did, inclined bench press, bench press, dumbbell shoulder press, pull ups and dips. all 6-9 reps minus the dips.

i dont count calories(i have before just not anymore) but i estimate i eat roughly around 1800-2500 i know thats way below for trying to add mass.
i currently weigh 153-158 pounds. im not big on what the scale says i just want to be bigger and stronger and have defined muscle definition. i bench exactly 165 if the barbell is 45 pounds. i dont know what my 1RM is, it cant be much higher than 165. and i do want to push over 200

my ultimate goal is to be ripped with muscle! ripped as in able to clearly see all the lines and the cuts that separate the muscles. also be strong. not one of those able to bench 250 but got a arm thats round like a pipe

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Lots of people suggesting food, which you'll need. I'll suggest sleep. If you're beating the snot out of yourself, you'll need the rest.

rhino67jg

rhino67jg

Awards
For me.. After power lifting for years & getting stronger.. I've been lifting lighter weights with very short rest periods. Exhausting the muscles I'm training. I've noticed I've been increasing muscle size by training this way. I still have my heavy days here & there, but I like what I see.

R

RoyalT81

Awards
If you goal is to build mass then in my opinion you are training wrong. Great start! You should have a good strength base before you start training for size. Getting stronger (weight lifting) Getting bigger (body building) there will be arguments on both sides, and yes they should go hand and hand if your a body builder. But what you want is hypertrophy! Learn it study it and grow.
Don't spend all day in the gym, the more you train the more you need to eat to replace and have extra to grow. Just like above, sleep, eat and eat till you can't and then eat some more! Learn the difference in training for strength and training for hypertrophy, enlarging the muscle fibers! Hope that helps

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
1. ensure you are gettting enough calories
2. ensure you are getting enough sleep
3 ensure your workouts are for hypertrophy (growth). There are more ways to grow than lifting heavy.

Check out Ben Pakulski's 'Mi40', 'mi40x' or 'hypertrophy max'. They will change your life.

B

Balaclava

Awards
You can definitely change your programming to favor mass over strength. I've personally had good results from strength type workouts modified for more mass gains - like Wendlers 531 BBB template, or Tactical Barbell's Mass template. Both focus on heavy compound lifts and use periodization - but they're tweaked to give you far more mass (in addition to strength) than typical strength focused programs. I've had more success with these (when eating enough!) than with more traditional hypertrophy workouts.

R

RAND0M1ZER

Awards
Perhaps you need to add some more volume to your workouts. Either more sets or more reps per set. I've found that while I can increase in strength only doing a few sets with low rep ranges, I need to really work to exhaustion in order to put on more size.

kkiniaus

kkiniaus

Awards
agreed you dont have to lift heavy to get big...love some of ben Pakulskis stuff too...and Tom Plats

kkiniaus

kkiniaus

Awards
yes increase your macros! im assuming your a guy?...Thats almost as low as I eat as a girl!

kkiniaus

kkiniaus

Awards
yes! rest and other recovery such as foam rolling or stretching...the more flexible the more nutrients can be absorbed!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
For me.. After power lifting for years & getting stronger.. I've been lifting lighter weights with very short rest periods. Exhausting the muscles I'm training. I've noticed I've been increasing muscle size by training this way. I still have my heavy days here & there, but I like what I see.
I also used to powerlift and now just train with lighter weight and a lot of volume. I've gained much more size working with light, slow controlled movements and a ton of volume. I'm hardly using barbells anymore either except for deadlifts and squats due to shoulder issues, but my delts are larger now than ever just by using cables, light dumbells and machines for all rotator cuff movements.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Need to get in some heavy work too. Train a main lift heavy once a week is a nice way IMO. Don't overdo it, and don't go higher than 90% in my experience

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've personally had good results from strength type workouts modified for more mass gains - like Wendlers 531 BBB template, or Tactical Barbell's Mass template. Both focus on heavy compound lifts and use periodization - but they're tweaked to give you far more mass (in addition to strength)
I used to do 5/3/1 Periodization Method assistance and found it to be the best for mass, better than BBB. 5/3/1 with Periodization Method assistance work is basically 5/3/1 with a crapload of volume added in after your main lift. BBB is more limited, it adds volume but strictly using the big lifts still. Periodization Method allows for use of any assistance exercise you want, dumbbells, dips, whatever your pleasure. I think it was something like 4 extra sets of 10 reps, after your big lifts. I was pretty thick on this routine.

Bottom line is, if you track your lifts, log everything on your phone / app / paper, whatever, and constantly increase your lifts and your cals, you should grow. If you're always eating the same and you don't adjust your cals as you grow, then you will plateau. When gaining, you need to eat to take into account newly acquired size gains and eat for new goals.