Help with muscle imbalance?

lilbill

lilbill

Banned
Awards
My feet come off the ground like i only can squat on my tip toes. Plus if i squat wide i feel like im doing it wrong an i dont arch my back put out my chest how can i fix this

EWolfe08

EWolfe08

Awards
Maybe work on your flexibility. The best thing to do is get a coach trainer/coach who can work with you in person.

asilentj3w

Awards
+1 on flexibility. Get your hips loosened up and you'll be able to go deeper and stay on your heels. Core strength will help keep you from folding up which will put you on your toes. Something I do to learn how to stay on heels is box squats. Go down, sit on the box, pick your feet up off the floor, plant your heels back down, explode up

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Ankles (calf muscles) and hamstrings. Make sure the bar travel is straight down and not with an angle. Also make sure that the bar is perpendicular with the middle of your foot when in bottom position.

Quad weakness is also a problem it it happens during the ascent.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
can we get a video of you squatting? from the front, rear, and side would be awesome!

CNPComicNerd

Awards
Sounds like ankle mobility problems. I'd get a lacrosse ball and roll out the bottom of your foot, roll out the area around your ankle especially the achilles tendon, and do ankle stretches. Supple Leopard is a good book to have for stuff like this.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
lots of guessing and no way to know what will help....... without a vid that is. until then its all just wild guesses.

lilbill

lilbill

Banned
Awards
lots of guessing and no way to know what will help....... without a vid that is. until then its all just wild guesses.
alright ill take one but like i think ita my ankles or something idk man i hate it cause i wanna be da best

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
its not likely your ankles. its likely your hips are weak & tight and have bad form.

an ankle issue would be more something like, you cant hit ass to grass on a narrow stance squat.

lilbill

lilbill

Banned
Awards
its not likely your ankles. its likely your hips are weak & tight and have bad form. an ankle issue would be more something like, you cant hit ass to grass on a narrow stance squat.
im 6'3 or so so should i have a wider form than modt people? Like my training partner tells me im doing it wrong an i dont think i actually am. Like i have a long torso an plus long ass legs an big shoulders an squats are supposed to be shoulder length apart correct?

Ive been working on my ankles flexibility ever since ive made this thread haha.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
im 6'3 or so so should i have a wider form than modt people? Like my training partner tells me im doing it wrong an i dont think i actually am. Like i have a long torso an plus long ass legs an big shoulders an squats are supposed to be shoulder length apart correct? Ive been working on my ankles flexibility ever since ive made this thread haha.
Squat stance varies person to person. There's no rule that you have to be shoulder width apart. Find what is comfortable for you. Bump it out.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Squat stance varies person to person. There's no rule that you have to be shoulder width apart. Find what is comfortable for you. Bump it out.
what he said. i have competed in powerlifting using a super wide, suited like stance and as narrow as an olympic lifter squats. no surprise i found something in the middle that works much better for me. its not just mobility of my hips that decided that but the actual structure. i remember watching a video years ago with dr stuart mcgill where he talked about how to find the right width. it was a lot of trial and error but i did it anyways.

1 day without a warm up a grabbed a box that put my below parallel and squated at all kinds of widths. i then warmed up a bit without the box and some weight on the bar. repeated the steps with 50% on the bar. i recorded all the squats, about 20 in all, and found when my heels were 1.5 shoulders width my form was spot on when not warmed up and when warmed up with weight and the notes of each squat i stated it felt the smoothest and least restrictive. from then on that how was how wide i squatted. try it and see what works for your mobility and bone structure.