Rear delt fly machine

ishpart

ishpart

Awards
When doing these are you supposed to lock out your arms or keep a slight bend to fully target delts?

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I keep my arms slightly bend, and focus on my rear delts during the movement.

When I would lock my arms, I tend to feel my triceps and that takes away my focus for the rear delts.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Slightly bent works best for me

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
At the gym I use to go to the rear delt machine made actually hitting the rear delts hard. Not sure why. Anyway, on that machine I had to really focus on my elbows being as close to being locked out as possible to really work my rear delts rather than parts of my back. Now at this new gym I go to I find a decent elbow bend is a must to fire up those delts. Only difference between the two is the distance from my body the handles where. So I guess it's just like anything else, just gatta go light and figure out the ideal position to hit your target muscle group. Keep in mind locking any joint out under tension throughout a lift is hard on the joints. Best of luck man!

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
At the gym I use to go to the rear delt machine made actually hitting the rear delts hard. Not sure why. Anyway, on that machine I had to really focus on my elbows being as close to being locked out as possible to really work my rear delts rather than parts of my back. Now at this new gym I go to I find a decent elbow bend is a must to fire up those delts. Only difference between the two is the distance from my body the handles where. So I guess it's just like anything else, just gatta go light and figure out the ideal position to hit your target muscle group. Keep in mind locking any joint out under tension throughout a lift is hard on the joints. Best of luck man!
Yeah this is very good advice. It took me a while, different grips, hand positions, elbow angle and even rom and speed but once you figure it all out you definitely know.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
Sometimes I catch myself early on in a set not using perfect form on these. I think the reason why many people don't do these correctly is because we learn to initiate nearly all pull type lifts with our back. That way we can use our back muscle during the full range of motion rather than use our arms and whatever else from the start and only end with a minor back contraction. Rear delt machines require you to use your delts from the very beginning till the very end, you start out using your back then your are probably going to end up using your back to move much of that weight and loose out on some rear delt development.
Sounds like you got it figured out, keep up the work!