Do ab workouts do much when it comes to getting a "6-pack"

ChrisG2

Awards
I've read that for your pack to show it's all about losing the fat that covers it up. That being said, my main question is should I even bother with ab workouts to get a 6-pack or just not do them and spend my time elsewhere? I understand ab workouts help build a stronger core which is essential in sports ect, but is it essential for a 6-pack?

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
If you do lots of deads, squats and whatnot that should be enough. Maybe throw in 4 sets of leg raises twice a week or something. But I don't think it's worth it to do 40 sets of abs a week lol.

Peppers

Peppers

Banned
Awards
If you do lots of deads, squats and whatnot that should be enough. Maybe throw in 4 sets of leg raises twice a week or something. But I don't think it's worth it to do 40 sets of abs a week lol.
Thank You lol

ODoyle99

Awards
^Exactly what I came in here to say. Overhead pressing will also develop them.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agreed. I hardly do any abs and when I did, I didn't have them as I have them now without doing one set lol.

All depends on core workouts and if you super sets here and there your good. As stated above once or twice per week on leg raises won't hurt either

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've read that for your pack to show it's all about losing the fat that covers it up. That being said, my main question is should I even bother with ab workouts to get a 6-pack or just not do them and spend my time elsewhere? I understand ab workouts help build a stronger core which is essential in sports ect, but is it essential for a 6-pack?
Yes, if you want to "see a -pack" you need to be a) lean enough to see them, and b) have the muscular development there to see. Doing "Ab workouts" are not going to get you a 6-pack, no, but they can help you DEVELOP your abdominal muscles.

~Rosie~

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
2 cents:
I think the compound exercises can certainly "strengthen" the mid section from a support point sure, but more statically IMO. Actual extension and flexion of the ab muscles, would most likely work just like any other muscle developing work. ie: To make the muscle larger.
Of course trimming the fat is a key to show the abs. Also, one can trim fat from the arms too, and have a cut up vascular arm, but to make the arm larger and more showy, it is pretty much key to use some flexion and extension work, instead of just isometrics so to speak.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
2 cents:
I think the compound exercises can certainly "strengthen" the mid section from a support point sure, but more statically IMO. Actual extension and flexion of the ab muscles, would most likely work just like any other muscle developing work. ie: To make the muscle larger.
Of course trimming the fat is a key to show the abs. Also, one can trim fat from the arms too, and have a cut up vascular arm, but to make the arm larger and more showy, it is pretty much key to use some flexion and extension work, instead of just isometrics so to speak.
BAM!

Tagger

Tagger

Awards
2 cents:
Oh **** yah.

Awesome explanation!