Smolov jr ideas?

1. Smolov jr ideas?

Okay so I know the rule is to never mess with a proven program. I'm just interested in trying to make the gains easier to keep afterwards.

So the original is
    Week1:
    M-6x6 70%
    W-7x5 75%
    F-8x4 80%
    S-10x3 85%

Week 2:
    +10-20lbs

Week 3:
    +15-25lbs

So I was thinking of subtracting 5% from each one so it would be;

6x6 65%
    7x5 70%
    8x4 75%
    10x3 80%

And also if the number is like 293 for example rounding down instead of up. And the Deload week I'm thinking of would look like this in the forth week.
    M-4x3 70%
    W-3x2 75%
    F-2x1 80%
    S- test new max

So pretty much reduce the sets and reps but keep the percentages the same. For the actual 3 weeks I was thinking Monday and Wednesday since the weights are lighter doing the the other body parts not used in the bench so they at the very least maintain. And doing maybe 10x10 of Facepulls every workout. Please don't bash this, that's not the point. Just give any advice, opinions, or tweaks that would help make this better. I posted this in the powerlifting section but I realized this isn't really exclusive to powerlifting and strongman.

2. I've ran smolov jr. for my squats..what makes you think lowering the percentages would make gains easier to keep afterwards? Genuinely curious.

Also, I wouldn't go that heavy and frequently during deload week. By that time, you've already beaten yourself into the ground. Fully recover and get yourself a PR. Don't overthink it.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    I've ran smolov jr. for my squats..what makes you think lowering the percentages would make gains easier to keep afterwards? Genuinely curious. Also, I wouldn't go that heavy and frequently during deload week. By that time, you've already beaten yourself into the ground. Fully recover and get yourself a PR. Don't overthink it.
    I figure if the weights are lighter it won't be as taxing on the nervous system and body and more likely to keep the gains? And would 80% for two singles be that bad? I just figured for the Deload less sets and reps would be sufficient? I'm just curious as to other peoples thoughts

4. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    what makes you think lowering the percentages would make gains easier to keep afterwards? Genuinely curious.
    This was probably my first (?) too!?

Can I ask what your main goal is?

Are you looking to get/keep mass gains from it, more than strength/peaking?

5. Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    This was probably my first (?) too!? Can I ask what your main goal is? Are you looking to get/keep mass gains from it, more than strength/peaking?
    It would be for strength gains that I can keep after the program and not so much peaking and then dropping off
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by SoupNaziNazi
    I figure if the weights are lighter it won't be as taxing on the nervous system and body and more likely to keep the gains? And would 80% for two singles be that bad? I just figured for the Deload less sets and reps would be sufficient? I'm just curious as to other peoples thoughts
    I don't see how that would make a difference. I didn't lose any strength after my run. I've heard of people claiming they have, though.

I don't think it would be that bad if it wasn't the day before your testing. If you wanted to go that heavy during deload, I would keep a few days between that and your max. I'm actually a fan of heavi(er) weight, lower rep deloading. But, I wouldn't squat 3 times during deload week or 80% the day before I max.

7. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    I don't see how that would make a difference. I didn't lose any strength after my run. I've heard of people claiming they have, though. I don't think it would be that bad if it wasn't the day before your testing. If you wanted to go that heavy during deload, I would keep a few days between that and your max. I'm actually a fan of heavi(er) weight, lower rep deloading. But, I wouldn't squat 3 times during deload week or 80% the day before I max.
    So like 3 days of nothing before re-testing?

8. Anybody with the word nazi in there name should get advice from no body.

9. Quote Originally Posted by SoupNaziNazi
    So like 3 days of nothing before re-testing?
    That's how I prefer to do it. You could do some banded wall squats or something like that, but your main focus should be to fully recover.

Work on mobility your deload week as well. You'll feel amazing and ready to PR.

10. Quote Originally Posted by cutz View Post
    Anybody with the word nazi in there name should get advice from no body.
    It's from an episode of Seinfeld, calm urself sir.

11. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    That's how I prefer to do it. You could do some banded wall squats or something like that, but your main focus should be to fully recover. Work on mobility your deload week as well. You'll feel amazing and ready to PR.
    Thanks for the advice bro beans it's much appreciated. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot

12. Quote Originally Posted by SoupNaziNazi View Post
    It's from an episode of Seinfeld, calm urself sir.
    I guess it's the punk in me. Soup nazi is some how funny?

13. Quote Originally Posted by SoupNaziNazi View Post
    It would be for strength gains that I can keep after the program and not so much peaking and then dropping off
    Well, a few things come to mind...
    If you are using less intensity/ ie: set up than the program might initially start with, then your gains might be under the projected outcome.
    I assume you know that, so staying closer to your reg medium output levels, should be easier to keep the new highs.
    For example, if a trainee is very advanced, with lots of experience hitting peaks and are close to your natural potential, working hard for every little gain, then it will most likely be much harder to keep or maintain that highest level.
    If however, one has a good bit of wiggle room to move the said lift(s) upwards and are not even at their true full potential, then it could be quite easy to maintain the strength and mass with perhaps less work than what got you there. How hard one works can be relative to one's level of advancement to keep or make higher gains.

So I might then ask what do you feel is your experience or level? And at what BW have you hit your highest max BP?
    Also, what is your stature? Longer armed shorter armed etc. etc.?

14. Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    So I might then ask what do you feel is your experience or level? And at what BW have you hit your highest max BP? Also, what is your stature? Longer armed shorter armed etc. etc.?
    My highest max BP was 385 at 220. I'm about 195 now and around 345 bench due to not being in the gym as much and focusing more on my education but with summer I'm back at it and wanted to try this out. I would say I'm intermediate but I don't think I'm advanced yet. I'm only 5'7 and have medium airing on the side of shorter arms.

15. I like how u put that. So in other words if ur a hard worker in the gym ur more likely to keep said gains and if there's wiggle room the chances are even higher?

16. Quote Originally Posted by cutz View Post
    I guess it's the punk in me. Soup nazi is some how funny?
    Seinfeld man it's a hilarious old school show look into it

17. Quote Originally Posted by SoupNaziNazi View Post
    I like how u put that. So in other words if ur a hard worker in the gym ur more likely to keep said gains and if there's wiggle room the chances are even higher?
    Well, yeah working harder is going to be a point, but more how hard was it for one to get to a high point. If it took me years to get a #600 DL, then I am more near my peak, so it will be harder to hang onto that number.
    If say Coan hits #700 with ease, then he will most likely have to do much less work than me to hold onto his #700.

Depending on how hard it was for you to hit the #385, you may have an easy time holding onto the new found gains, since you have not even been putting a ton of effort in with the class work taking front row.
    That all said you are most likely going to bump up your WC (work capacity too) with just more volume and frequency you are used to. Test drive it and if you find you are hitting a wall, just back down the %'s. You most likely will be fine I would guess.
    And nice BP BTW...! I never got much higher than #355.

18. Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    Well, yeah working harder is going to be a point, but more how hard was it for one to get to a high point. If it took me years to get a #600 DL, then I am more near my peak, so it will be harder to hang onto that number. If say Coan hits #700 with ease, then he will most likely have to do much less work than me to hold onto his #700. Depending on how hard it was for you to hit the #385, you may have an easy time holding onto the new found gains, since you have not even been putting a ton of effort in with the class work taking front row. That all said you are most likely going to bump up your WC (work capacity too) with just more volume and frequency you are used to. Test drive it and if you find you are hitting a wall, just back down the %'s. You most likely will be fine I would guess. And nice BP BTW...! I never got much higher than #355.
    That does make a lot of sense. Again I appreciate the advice. A test run of the original can't hurt to bad since it's only three weeks to see how I react. Thanks again, and thanks! I'm hoping to get back up and past that soon
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Smolov Jr
    By SemiBulimic in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-22-2009, 08:54 PM
  2. Smolov Jr.
    By goldenroll in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 09:28 AM
  3. Starting Smolov Jr. Bench
    By DALLASxBROWN in forum Training Forum