Switching my Workout up need help

Monsta65

Monsta65

Awards
Currently I am working out 5 times a week. I go chest and back, shoulders biceps and triceps and Legs and lower back then start over again. Since I go 5 times a week I start my week of different ever week instead of it being chest and back on monday it will be legs and lower back on and on tuesday ill be doing chest and back if this makes since. I am hoping someone that knows how to do a great lifting with drop sets and everything could help me out with a whole new lifting way because I have been doing this way for a while and I feel its time for a change. Im 325 lbs and looking for cutting weightlifting and trying to go for the tone look while losing weight. Im putting my lifts down and reps.

Chest and Back
Bench- Warmup, 4 x 15 or 12 or 10, or 2 x 15 and 2 x 12 or 2 x 12 and 2 x 10s- Mix up reps every lifting session
Incline- 3 x 15 or 3 x 12 or 4 x 10
Pullovers- 3 x 15 or 3 x 12 or 4 x 10
Pullups- Work up to 50 reps
Dumbbell rows- 3 x 15 or 3 x 12 or 4 x 10
Deadlifts- 10,6,4 Heavy Weight

Shoulders, Biceps and Triceps
Clean and Press- Warmup, 3x10
Lateral Raises- 3 x 15 or 3 x 12 or 4 x 10
Heavy Upright Rows- 10,6,4
Heavy Push Press- 6,4,2
Ez Bar Curls- 3 x 15 or 3 x 12 or 4 x 10
Seated Dumbbell Curls- 3 x 15 or 3 x 12 or 4 x 10
Close Grip Bench- 3 x 15 or 3 x 12 or 4 x 10
Tricep Extentions- 3 x 15 or 3 x 12 or 4 x 10

Legs and Lower Back

Squat-Warmup, 4 x 15 or 12 or 10, or 2 x 15 and 2 x 12 or 2 x 12 and 2 x 10s
Lunges- 3 x 15 or 3 x 12 or 4 x 10
Leg Curls- 3 x 15 or 3 x 12 or 4 x 10
Calf Raisers- 5 sets 15 each leg
Straight Leg Deadlifts- 10,6,4
Good Mornings-10,6,4

I really hope that someone that knows a lot about lifting can help me out so that I can work more for the getting cut stage then bulk stage can help me out and to put drop sets in and super sets in the workout because I really want to start working those in. Thanks

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How long have you been doing this workout? You are 325 now? How much weight are you trying to lose? What does your diet look like?

That is an enormous work load. I would be shocked if you are doing that 5 times/week and seeing improvements. Not criticizing at all - if it is working then great, but you are definitely doing a ton of work and most people that I've come across would be exhausted doing all that 5X/week.

The splits I've used are as follows:

4 day split -
Day 1 - Legs
Day 2 - Chest and Biceps
Day 3 - off
Day 4 - Back
Day 5 - Shoulders and Triceps
Days 6 & 7 off

Or my current split -

Day 1 - Legs
Day 2 - off
Day 3 - Chest, lateral head of the deltoids, and triceps
day 4 - off
Day 5 - Back, rear delts, and biceps
Days 6 & 7 - Off

I don't ever stick to the day counts - if I want to take an extra day off somewhere, I do it. If I go 8 days or 9 days between body parts, I am OK with it.

I have played with volume, but don't do anywhere near what you do. I do about 1-3 exercises per body part and about 2 sets per exercise. I do 1 exercise for biceps, triceps, hamstrings, rear and side delts and lower back. I do 3 exercises for upper back, chest and quads.

Monsta65

Monsta65

Awards
I have been doing this workout for about 2 months and before that I was on another one for a month and a half. I am currently 325 started out at 344 but sometimes times are tough and now I eat what I can do with the finances with eating and since I have kids they come first. But hope to soon be able to buy the stuff again for my diet plan or I should say they way Imma start eating.

I actually do, do that 5 times a week when I can I miss very rarely. I actually have been seeing improvements when I started this workout I could barely get 315 for my 10 reps and now I can get them for my set of 15 n 345 for my set of 10 on the bench. On squats I went from 365 for 10 to 455 for 10. So I know its working but I feel like its time for a change and was hoping that I could take the advice from a person who knows what they are doing so that I dont mess up my gains if that makes sense.

Thanks for answering my question and by what Im reading you are telling me to take it easier? correct. The one thing I dont want to do is exhaust my body I just want to get in great shape by also getting cut.

CT3

CT3

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure how to tell you to train to lose the weight you're wanting to lose. Definitely need to get the diet in check. Don't starve yourself, but need to be eating as clean as possible. I don't think that you're doing crazy high volume. I probably do more on most days. I'm on a 5 day split:
Mon-chest and tris
Tues-legs
Wed-back and bis (rowing movements and pull-ups for back)
Thurs-shoulders and bench press
Fri-legs and back (front squats, deads,cleans,shrugs)
Sat&Sun-maybe some light cardio

Monsta65

Monsta65

Awards
Thanks for the write back CT3. To be honest with you Im looking for things that work for other guys too so that I dont get stalled on my lifts and presses. I know my diet is the main thing that I need to work out. I guess what im looking for is what are the best lifts to keep building my muscle. Im trying to find new lifts and how to do drop sets and super sets properly. Im looking for something new to be honest if anybody has any suggestions im all ears or where to get new workouts from.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am not necessarily saying to take it easier - just....maybe more precise. With all that volume, your intensity must be relatively low - but obviously that is just an assumption on my end. Are you training to failure on any of your sets?

The idea is to stimulate muscle growth, not kill the muscle. This requires the proper mix of training intensity, volume and frequency. The more volume you use, the less intensity you will have and the less frequent you will be able to do it. The higher the intensity, the less volume you will be able to use and the less frequent you will be able to do it. Finding a mix of volume and intensity that allows the full process is the key.

Train - Recover - Grow - Train Again

If you do Train - Almost Recover - Train Again, then you never get to the grow part and you are wasting effort.

You should do less, with more intensity in my opinion.

Monsta65

Monsta65

Awards
I am not necessarily saying to take it easier - just....maybe more precise. With all that volume, your intensity must be relatively low - but obviously that is just an assumption on my end. Are you training to failure on any of your sets?

The idea is to stimulate muscle growth, not kill the muscle. This requires the proper mix of training intensity, volume and frequency. The more volume you use, the less intensity you will have and the less frequent you will be able to do it. The higher the intensity, the less volume you will be able to use and the less frequent you will be able to do it. Finding a mix of volume and intensity that allows the full process is the key.

Train - Recover - Grow - Train Again

If you do Train - Almost Recover - Train Again, then you never get to the grow part and you are wasting effort.

You should do less, with more intensity in my opinion.
I am actually training to failure on all my lifts to be honest with you. It gets intense I try not to spend to much time resting so about a 30 sec to a min rest in between sets. And you hit something key I am actually trying to find a way to get my muscles bigger and dont want to do anything negative to them that is why I figured it was time to get professional help on my situation so that I can start training my muscles the right way.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
lets keep this simple. do a proven program. there is a reason why they are proven. try 5/3/1 with the north of vag template.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ok, I apologize, I misread your "or" and "and" usage - I thought you were doing 8-10 sets of most of those exercises.

I like the keep it simple suggestion above. Your workout seems much more reasonable now that I am reading it right. I prefer to go lower volume than that even - I'm more of a Mike Mentzer advocate and I think 1 set per exercise can be very effective.

If you are going to failure on every set, then volume has to be kept lighter or you will burn out. A few months ago I was doing 1 set per exercise and about 1-3 exercises per bodypart. I was pushing those sets beyond failure and even when I was only workout out for 15-20 minutes and doing 4-6 sets for an entire workout, those sets were so intense I really couldn't have done much more without dropping the intensity a little. I am now doing 2 sets of each exercise and I realize my intensity has dropped even there, but I still go to failure. I just have to use fewer drop sets, forced reps, etc.

The thing for me was, once I stopped seeing progress, I was doing so little volume I know that I could add more. When you have higher volume and results stop, you don't always know if you should add or subtract...

Monsta65

Monsta65

Awards
Thanks guys for your response and if you guys have any more suggestions im all ears