Big disparity between Deadlift and Squat

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Started to get a bit frustrated with the disparity between my squat and deadlift, I've looked into a few things but can't seem to come up with a complete answer other than form.

My squat sits at about 335 while my deadlift is at 515, this is a pretty drastic difference. Is there any logical reason for this other than maybe form or some muscular imbalances?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm no expert on this, but flexibility, muscular imbalances, and psychology may all be at play. I think squatting requires much more balance and flexibility than most anything else, so if you don't have those two things, you are going to have problems.

Psychology is also different. Powering a bar off the floor from a position where you are over the bar is a lot different than having a bar on your shoulders and having to lower it and then come back up from a psychological standpoint. You aren't going to get "caught" under a deadlift. You just drop it. While you could do this with a squat, it is a bit more dangerous and you obviously know it.

What does your leg/squat workout look like? Also, what does your split look like - i.e.- when do you train legs and back in relation to each other?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So many variables involved like mentioned before. Maybe it's something as simple as a technical error in your squat.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I had this exact same issue in the past. My deadlift was at 455 and squat stuck around 300.

I knew exactly why it was happening for me. I couldn't keep a neutral spine in my squat. I was hyperextending too much. I also had some muscle imbalances and needed to strengthen my hams & core more. I started to hit the GHR machine all the time and work hard on opening my hips, but then I ended up getting surgery for my shoulder and messed all that up, along with a back injury about a year after the surgery. Starting over now...

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Usually I kick of my week with Deadlifts on Monday and do Legs on either Wednesday or Thursday depending on if they feel good after my deadlift day.

My normal leg day consists of
5-10 min bike
A little foam roll and stretching
Some bodyweight squats with PVC Pipe

Then I start with the bar work up do 135x10x2 then work up to my working sets or max and get the reps in on the way down after my working sets or max.

Then I ususally do another movement either Barbell Lunges, SLDL, or Box Step ups with barbell on back. Then depending on which I choose of those 3 either go to Leg Press or Leg Extension and leg curls.

I can leg press 810x8, Barbell lunge 225x2 ea side and my hammys are strong can work up to 315+ SLDL and the 515 deadlift.

I think one main issue is I don't really brace my core I know your supposed to expand your abs and push them out, but I can't fully grasp that and also I feel my breathing is awful. Have the time I forget to breath until half way out of the hole, and this certainty doesn't help.

I'm trying to work on some technical things I think the weight distribution on my feet was a little bit off, but is it something that because of maybe my height and torso and leg length I just have better leverages to pull rather then to squat.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I apologize for how my post is all scrunched up. For some reason the forum is not allowing me to insert line breaks via using the "enter" key.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm trying to work on some technical things I think the weight distribution on my feet was a little bit off, but is it something that because of maybe my height and torso and leg length I just have better leverages to pull rather then to squat.
We're about the same height, so that makes sense. With my height (and desk job aka tight hips), I just find it very difficult to maintain a neutral spine, I keep hyperextending.

nicholai51

Awards
body type

seldom is a great squatter great at deadlifts too. I believe there has only been one person to set world records in both lifts. To squat you need a long torso and short arms and legs. To be a great deadlifter you need long arms and legs and a short torso. It is all a matter of leverages. Having said that you may have worked your deadlift much harder than your squat. There was a time in my youth when my squat and bench were about equal.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Started to get a bit frustrated with the disparity between my squat and deadlift, I've looked into a few things but can't seem to come up with a complete answer other than form. My squat sits at about 335 while my deadlift is at 515, this is a pretty drastic difference. Is there any logical reason for this other than maybe form or some muscular imbalances?
I've was in that exact spot not too long ago, but making up ground. My suggestion is to keep nailing reps. You need to find where you're strongest.

Pause squats can aid you there. Kelly Starret's BASL has a lot of info that will help you on proper movement patterning.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i have the same issue. but i no longer see it as an issue. i am just built much better for deads than squats. someone else mentioned that earlier and i have that deadlifters body they described.

i did change my workout to fit how i would deal with a weak link. i did more volume for what i wasnt good at. i even squat now to warm up for my deads. i do front squats after deads too some weeks. ive been deadlifting with lowered hips too while doing this and both my squats and deads are going up with my squats at a much faster pace. not sure that will work for you though.