Am i overtraining?

T

thugxcry01

Awards
Hi i am 19 years old training naturally for 8 months now. Just wanted to ask if i am overtraining my ass in the gym heres my training regimen

Mon chest
Flat barbell bench press 4-5 sets last set the heaviest 1rep max
Incline dumbbell press fairly heavy 4 sets 8 reps
Weighted dips 3 sets with 30lbs dumbbell 8 reps
Decline hammer strength machine with heavy 6-8 reps 4 sets
Low pec cable presses 3 sets heavy 6-8reps
Push ups 4 sets to failure
Low pec cable flies 4 sets

Tuesday 30 mins cardio and abs

Wednesday legs abs
Squats 5 sets 6-8 heavy
Stiff legged deads 5 sets
Leg press 5 sets
Calf raises 5 sets
Abs

Thurs cardio abs

Friday delts and arms
Barbell shoulder press 5 sets 6-8 reps
Dumbbell press 4 sets
Side laterals 4 sets
Reverse laterals 4 sets
Front raises 4 sets
Reverse flies 4 sets
Dumbbell tricep extensions 5 sets
Close grip bench presses or weighted dips depending on how i feel 4-5 heaviest sets 6-8 reps
Skull crushers 4 sets
Rope pressdowns 4 sets
Kickbacks 4 sets
Dumbbell curls 4 sets
Db hammer curls 4 sets
Preacher curls beyond the limits until i cant do any rep my partner will assist until i almost puke 2 sets usually 20-25 unforgettable reps

Sat back
Pull ups to failure 5 sets
Wide grip lat pulls 4 sets
Underhand close grip lat pulls 4 sets
Neutral grip lat pulls 4 sets
Barbell bent over rows 5 sets
Single arm dumbbell rows 4 sets
Shrugs 5 sets
Dumbbell shrugs 4 sets
Upright rows 5 sets
All sets heavy reps usually fall from 6 to 8 reps..

Sunday off

Nutrition

Breakfast 7am coffee with bread and a scoop of whey

Post workout meal half roasted chicken a cup of rice

Scoop of whey and a banana - snack

Dinner chicken breasts 2 scoops of whey, and complex carbs like banana or sweet potatoes 150g

Thanks in advance

T

thugxcry01

Awards
Oh and i am an endomorph he type of nigga that looks at food and gain 4 lbs of fat.

T

TooNatty

Awards
Sat back
Pull ups to failure 5 sets
Wide grip lat pulls 4 sets
Underhand close grip lat pulls 4 sets
Neutral grip lat pulls 4 sets
Barbell bent over rows 5 sets
Single arm dumbbell rows 4 sets
Shrugs 5 sets
Dumbbell shrugs 4 sets

Upright rows 5 sets
All sets heavy reps usually fall from 6 to 8 reps..
Im not sure how shrugs fall into back. Unless your traps are lagging you can probably leave that for delt days. But, it doesn`t look like your over training.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So much arms and so little legs. Take away some arm work and add some leg work. IMO way too much arm work. You could get gains with half the sets. And is that all u eat?

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not to mention working your back the day after arms. Your limiting your row strength because you just worked them the day before.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hmmm, why don't you do something more mainstream or proven (like a 5x5 or something) that caps on the 5-7 compound lifts almost exclusively?
Some of your work seems rather redundant on one bodypart for one day and then another day, (Wed.) you overload your entire system with all the huge bending moves!?!?

IMO, there are much better ways to efficiently work and divide the entire body both muscularly and systemically and make gains better.

T

thugxcry01

Awards
Man replies in this forum are so damn fast. Others would have take like 2weeks

Anyways yes that is all i eat for now i always change my diet every month so that every day when i wake up i just prepare my foods and eat them through out the day.

About the 5x5 tried it and got a lil bit strong and a little muscle gains but this kind of high volume high intensity training i saw a major difference so i stick with it and not planning to do something else, but every vet in my gym saying i am overtraining. But when i do the typical bro split 4 sets of 12 the gains are slow as hell man. But not with this method...

T

thugxcry01

Awards
Not to mention working your back the day after arms. Your limiting your row strength because you just worked them the day before.
I noticed that too, my forearms hurts when doing back, so should i decrease my volume? Like just go for a weights where i cam go like 12 reps?

T

thugxcry01

Awards
So much arms and so little legs. Take away some arm work and add some leg work. IMO way too much arm work. You could get gains with half the sets. And is that all u eat?
5 sets of squats not enough man? I couldnt barely walk after the stiff legs deads heavy 6-8 reps, and yeah man all i eat

T

thugxcry01

Awards
Sat back Pull ups to failure 5 sets Wide grip lat pulls 4 sets Underhand close grip lat pulls 4 sets Neutral grip lat pulls 4 sets Barbell bent over rows 5 sets Single arm dumbbell rows 4 sets Shrugs 5 sets Dumbbell shrugs 4 sets Upright rows 5 sets All sets heavy reps usually fall from 6 to 8 reps.. Im not sure how shrugs fall into back. Unless your traps are lagging you can probably leave that for delt days. But, it doesn`t look like your over training.
Thanks man. Yeah i want a pencil like traps, and isnt trapezius part of back?

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Man replies in this forum are so damn fast. Others would have take like 2weeks

Anyways yes that is all i eat for now i always change my diet every month so that every day when i wake up i just prepare my foods and eat them through out the day.

About the 5x5 tried it and got a lil bit strong and a little muscle gains but this kind of high volume high intensity training i saw a major difference so i stick with it and not planning to do something else, but every vet in my gym saying i am overtraining. But when i do the typical bro split 4 sets of 12 the gains are slow as hell man. But not with this method...
So you ask if you are over training and then flat out let us know you aren't going to change anything when a very knowledgeable vet on here gives advice. With that attitude, why are you even asking?

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Okay, well just to shed a little light and IMO, it is not necessarily OTing with your routine as much as it looks like less efficient programming and routine set up.
One day of just chest, is to me less efficient, (how do you know all that volume just for chest, is really working to the optimum for you?) when one could train a few other exercises, ie: shoulders, arms, abs, calves and thus get more bang for one's buck.
The reason I mentioned a proven program, is because the thinking or set ups and programming and even intensity layout/ramping can be laid out for less experienced lifters. Then as one progresses and learns their boundaries, recovery abilities etc. etc., it becomes easier to keep making gains and keep from actual OTing.
Personally, I think actuall OTing happens more, (not saying it doesn't happen with smaller muscle stuff) with the really large exercises that are systemic like heavy deads, squats and the big bending work along with using loads that really start to tax the CNS PNS etc.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Mon chest: total sets
chest 28
triceps 21
shoulders 12

Wednesday legs abs
quads 10
hammies 15
calfs 5

Friday delts and arms
shoulders 25
biceps 10
triceps 17
chest 4

Sat back
lats 26
traps 14
low back 5
shoulders 5

compiled list:
quads 10
hammies 15
lats 16
traps 14
pecs 32
shoulders 37
biceps 10
triceps 38
calfs 5

i hope you see the massive imbalance. and looking again i did not include the bicep work on any back work, so they are getting far more work than it appears. i also listed from larger muscles to smaller muscles. the larger stuff should be the bulk of your work yet it seems number get bigger as you go down.

the list of exercises looks like you are throwing every exercises you have heard of at yourself. you dont need that much stuff. if you want to do your own workout start with start out with a 2 day plan and do only 2 movements each day. this will tell you a lot about what is important to you. as this will be the core to everything. what you have is as important as what you leave out.

once you have that, add in stuff that needs extra work like lagging body parts on the same day and/or other days. but dont throw the kitchen sink at yourself. try to find no more than 4 things that will improve the the 2 day plan. anything to make those work better. like you lean forward on squats a lot, then do front squats and more ab work. if you want more then do snatch grip deads and quad work. thats it. keep it simple.

this way also forces you to think of movements and not just body parts. the body works as a whole and not just parts. if you want to be a body builder, thats great. but build a body first before you worry about majoring in the minors.

does that make sense?

eericksen

eericksen

Awards
I'm not a big fan of how you have your workouts setup up, but no I don't believe your overtraining. It's a very debatable subject, but I think people are diagnosing it more often than its actually taking place. I personally fell into the overtraining hype and switched back to the 6 days on 1 day off schedule with an added 2nd chest day. I have actually improved more than when I thought I was doing too much.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Mon chest: total sets
chest 28
triceps 21
shoulders 12

Wednesday legs abs
quads 10
hammies 15
calfs 5

Friday delts and arms
shoulders 25
biceps 10
triceps 17
chest 4

Sat back
lats 26
traps 14
low back 5
shoulders 5

compiled list:
quads 10
hammies 15
lats 16
traps 14
pecs 32
shoulders 37
biceps 10
triceps 38
calfs 5

i hope you see the massive imbalance. and looking again i did not include the bicep work on any back work, so they are getting far more work than it appears. i also listed from larger muscles to smaller muscles. the larger stuff should be the bulk of your work yet it seems number get bigger as you go down.

the list of exercises looks like you are throwing every exercises you have heard of at yourself. you dont need that much stuff. if you want to do your own workout start with start out with a 2 day plan and do only 2 movements each day. this will tell you a lot about what is important to you. as this will be the core to everything. what you have is as important as what you leave out.

once you have that, add in stuff that needs extra work like lagging body parts on the same day and/or other days. but dont throw the kitchen sink at yourself. try to find no more than 4 things that will improve the the 2 day plan. anything to make those work better. like you lean forward on squats a lot, then do front squats and more ab work. if you want more then do snatch grip deads and quad work. thats it. keep it simple.

this way also forces you to think of movements and not just body parts. the body works as a whole and not just parts. if you want to be a body builder, thats great. but build a body first before you worry about majoring in the minors.

does that make sense?
slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

T

thugxcry01

Awards
Mon chest: total sets chest 28 triceps 21 shoulders 12 Wednesday legs abs quads 10 hammies 15 calfs 5 Friday delts and arms shoulders 25 biceps 10 triceps 17 chest 4 Sat back lats 26 traps 14 low back 5 shoulders 5 compiled list: quads 10 hammies 15 lats 16 traps 14 pecs 32 shoulders 37 biceps 10 triceps 38 calfs 5 i hope you see the massive imbalance. and looking again i did not include the bicep work on any back work, so they are getting far more work than it appears. i also listed from larger muscles to smaller muscles. the larger stuff should be the bulk of your work yet it seems number get bigger as you go down. the list of exercises looks like you are throwing every exercises you have heard of at yourself. you dont need that much stuff. if you want to do your own workout start with start out with a 2 day plan and do only 2 movements each day. this will tell you a lot about what is important to you. as this will be the core to everything. what you have is as important as what you leave out. once you have that, add in stuff that needs extra work like lagging body parts on the same day and/or other days. but dont throw the kitchen sink at yourself. try to find no more than 4 things that will improve the the 2 day plan. anything to make those work better. like you lean forward on squats a lot, then do front squats and more ab work. if you want more then do snatch grip deads and quad work. thats it. keep it simple. this way also forces you to think of movements and not just body parts. the body works as a whole and not just parts. if you want to be a body builder, thats great. but build a body first before you worry about majoring in the minors. does that make sense?
Man 32 sets for chest? I didnt even realized that lol. Anyways ill change my routine thanks for your input. So just change to 2-3 movements a day ? 6 days a week? Or just stay with alternating days on off on off? Anyways man i always wanted a big chest cuz they were lagging ill post a pic but i do not know how i am using ipad, and pls excuse my grammar as it wasnt my mother tongue.

T

thugxcry01

Awards
I'm not a big fan of how you have your workouts setup up, but no I don't believe your overtraining. It's a very debatable subject, but I think people are diagnosing it more often than its actually taking place. I personally fell into the overtraining hype and switched back to the 6 days on 1 day off schedule with an added 2nd chest day. I have actually improved more than when I thought I was doing too much.
6 days a week? How do you do that? Did you gain lot of muscle? And is it okay to increase my protein to 20g more daily? Some said it would go straight to the toilet as my body doesnt need that much protein, said some non lifting dietician

T

thugxcry01

Awards
Here's my recent pic i posted these so you guys can give me some weak points or lagging body parts like chest, flat as dogs poop i stepped this morning though.

Attachments

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i also listed from larger muscles to smaller muscles. the larger stuff should be the bulk of your work yet it seems number get bigger as you go down.

Good post and take home stuff^^^
Quality, always trumps quantity.

You have a good pleasing build and structure. If you want to add thickness and some bulk to it, then thew above stuff, will help you add to your goals.
Don't get so hooked on over developing one bodypart like you chest. It looks fine and in balance with your other parts. Keep everything growing at a natural even keel.

T

thugxcry01

Awards
Good post and take home stuff^^^ Quality, always trumps quantity. You have a good pleasing build and structure. If you want to add thickness and some bulk to it, then thew above stuff, will help you add to your goals. Don't get so hooked on over developing one bodypart like you chest. It looks fine and in balance with your other parts. Keep everything growing at a natural even keel.
Alright man thanks a lot. But isnt my arms lot bigger for my chest? I want chest that has a line under, at the lower pec part.like arnold schwarzenegger's. So ill decrease my exercises which do you think i should remove? Thanks man

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Alright man thanks a lot. But isnt my arms lot bigger for my chest? I want chest that has a line under, at the lower pec part.like arnold schwarzenegger's. So ill decrease my exercises which do you think i should remove? Thanks man
Well, from my experience, it is better to do 15-20 sets of chest spread out thru an entire week of training, than doing the entire 20+ sets in one day, then not training the chest again for a week. Frequency and moderate volume to me, is a bit better than tons of volume in one day then waiting a week.
I mean most old BB routines had you training most of the body 2x and the smaller muscles 3x per week.
As far as your arms in comparison to your chest!? They look good to me. Remember too, chest sweep and development can be in way genetic and depending on shoulder and clavicle length.
And, at 19 you may still fill out more too, so don't get too worried about all the little stuff and just have fun getting yourself into shape and working out. You look good and have some good potential there to be quite well built. Plus, it will stick with you for a lifetime that way and you won't get discouraged and start routine jumping.

eericksen

eericksen

Awards
6 days a week? How do you do that? Did you gain lot of muscle? And is it okay to increase my protein to 20g more daily? Some said it would go straight to the toilet as my body doesnt need that much protein, said some non lifting dietician
I used to do five, but since I wanted to being up a lagging body part I added a 2nd chest day. Sun-chest(Hypertrophy) mon-back, tues-shoulders, wed-chest(strength), thurs-legs and Friday-arms. I definitely have made the most progress with this and doing it in a linear Periodization style. As far as the 20 grams of protein go I'm not sure you will see much of a difference either way. How much are you taking in currently? Everybody's body is different when it comes to what macro ratio works best and what the maintenance level of cals are. You have to find that out yourself or have a nutritionist work with you. There is no cookie cutter program that works for everyone.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Here's the deal on the protein question, it depends. Some people need a higher protein intake where others don't. The "necessary" amount is .8g/lb. Personally, I like to eat 1g/lb when bulking and 1.2g/lb when cutting and I am not sent to the bathroom. For 2 weeks, I decided to eat 300g protein a day. That was too much. You have to experiment with it and find what works for you. There really is no such thing as "too much protein". Yes, over consumption will create a "puffy" or "soft" feel, but protein is a very important macro in your intake. Figure out your macros on IIFYM, try it for 2-4 weeks, and go from there.

On the training stuff, these guys have given you some very good info. I really think the whole concept of "over-training" is taken too far. Going to the gym for 60-90 minutes 6 days a week is not over training, imo. However, I can't lift 6 days. I just feel too sore and fatigued, but I also work industrial construction. I take Thurs and Sat off and do legs Monday and Friday. Find what works for you. Everyone is different.