NEED HELP TO BREAK PLATEAU

tomcat

Awards
I'm a short guy who has always faced overweight problems. I've lost a lot of weight and cannot currently break my plateau to achieve my goal. I went from 265 to 170 in a year in a half, got comfortable and gained 20 more pounds over the years. I was looking for some help in my training or maybe some supps that could aid in my progression. I can when I'm focused keep a clean diet going. I just need that quick boost to see some type of results so i can get more motivated. Any help is appreciated.

STATS:
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 196 lbs.
Waist: 34"
Body Fat: ?? Don't really know how to measure it without a machine.
History: I've been lifting weights since Jr. High. I feel I'm pretty strong.
Goal: To have my six pack I once had back.

antiacus

Awards
Maybe a fast?

I now that's not a popular answer on a bodybuilding forum but i'll bet with a two week juice fast you would smash that plateau. Also, clean out your system, give your liver & entire endocrine system for that matter a nice rest, and be primed to make some serious strength & muscle gains at the end of it.

So many peoples digestive tracts are in need of a break and there are a million benefits to such a fast.

Just an idea...

Mystere3

Awards
What are your calories and macros?

tomcat

Awards
Maybe a fast?

I now that's not a popular answer on a bodybuilding forum but i'll bet with a two week juice fast you would smash that plateau. Also, clean out your system, give your liver & entire endocrine system for that matter a nice rest, and be primed to make some serious strength & muscle gains at the end of it.

So many peoples digestive tracts are in need of a break and there are a million benefits to such a fast.

Just an idea...

A juice fast? What kind of juice? Is it just drinking juice no eating? I've fasted before eating only veggies and fruits for 30 days. lost about 17 pounds, but lost so much strength. I no longer had the energy to go to the gym and really have a good workout. I had to get all my protien from beans and nuts. Plus once I started eating regular foods I had gained most of that weight back. How else could I help my liver and endocrine system? If I do fast how long should it be?

Thanks for the info and suggestion.

tomcat

Awards
What are your calories and macros?
Calories average 1700-2500
I don't really get too into counting my macros. I have no intention to try to become a bodybuilder. I have 2 teenage boys and I want to be able to keep up with them and not allow them to follow the same mistakes I made when I gained alot of weight. Should I really be counting my macros that carefully if all I want to do is be fit?

Mystere3

Awards
1700 is too low. 2500 is about where you should be weighing 200 lb. you should at least have an idea where your macros are. Use iifym and calculate what your BMR and TDEE are.

antiacus

Awards
Calories average 1700-2500
I don't really get too into counting my macros. I have no intention to try to become a bodybuilder. I have 2 teenage boys and I want to be able to keep up with them and not allow them to follow the same mistakes I made when I gained alot of weight. Should I really be counting my macros that carefully if all I want to do is be fit?
The other method is to count portions. Plan your diet, determine how many meals you want to eat and apportion each meal. e.g. 5 meals, a portion of carbs (bread, rice, potato, sweet potato), vegetables, protein. Each portion being about the size of a deck of cards. Most people have to give themselves 1-2 cheat meals per week, some don't need more than 1-2 per month.

But like others have said, figure out your bmr, tdee, decide on meal frequency and do some simple planning.

One last thing. A lot of people have hormonal issues. You cannot burn fat if your body is fighting to store it. Your yoyo diet could have your body sending store fat signals. Stress can do the same thing. Poor gut health can be an issue. Poor nutrition is another common issue e.g. people being malnourished despite eating 2x the calories they need because of the quality of their food. This triggers a vicious cycle because despite eating too much you feel hungry and have lots of cravings because you're lacking in essential vitamins & minerals. I would start with the above suggestions, do some planning, give it 3 weeks, if weight isn't coming off you should probably have a blood panel done and see if you have any hormonal issues.

tomcat

Awards
1700 is too low. 2500 is about where you should be weighing 200 lb. you should at least have an idea where your macros are. Use iifym and calculate what your BMR and TDEE are.
Yeah, I know I don't always hit the mark but I sometimes have to to shove food down my mouth to get em in and then I feel stuffed all day and I feel fatter than what I was. Is that an app or something? iiym?

tomcat

Awards
The other method is to count portions. Plan your diet, determine how many meals you want to eat and apportion each meal. e.g. 5 meals, a portion of carbs (bread, rice, potato, sweet potato), vegetables, protein. Each portion being about the size of a deck of cards. Most people have to give themselves 1-2 cheat meals per week, some don't need more than 1-2 per month.

But like others have said, figure out your bmr, tdee, decide on meal frequency and do some simple planning.

One last thing. A lot of people have hormonal issues. You cannot burn fat if your body is fighting to store it. Your yoyo diet could have your body sending store fat signals. Stress can do the same thing. Poor gut health can be an issue. Poor nutrition is another common issue e.g. people being malnourished despite eating 2x the calories they need because of the quality of their food. This triggers a vicious cycle because despite eating too much you feel hungry and have lots of cravings because you're lacking in essential vitamins & minerals. I would start with the above suggestions, do some planning, give it 3 weeks, if weight isn't coming off you should probably have a blood panel done and see if you have any hormonal issues.
Thanks, I eat almost flawlessly during the week. It's when I'm off with the family and we go and do things like watch movies and eat out is where I screw up. My kids and wife can eat anything all day and not gain an ounce. I know they should eat healthy too it just takes time to prepare meals that appeal to kids that taste good and breaking old bad habits. Going out to the movies and not eating popcorn is like a recovering crackhead selling dope.

antiacus

Awards
Thanks, I eat almost flawlessly during the week. It's when I'm off with the family and we go and do things like watch movies and eat out is where I screw up. My kids and wife can eat anything all day and not gain an ounce. I know they should eat healthy too it just takes time to prepare meals that appeal to kids that taste good and breaking old bad habits. Going out to the movies and not eating popcorn is like a recovering crackhead selling dope.
I make my own with coconut oil, sea salt, and nutritional yeast and sneak it in my wife's purse :) The oil the theater uses is literally poison. It's terrible.

tomcat

Awards
I make my own with coconut oil, sea salt, and nutritional yeast and sneak it in my wife's purse :) The oil the theater uses is literally poison. It's terrible.

Nutritional yeast?

tomcat

Awards
What do you guys think about Herbalife for a meal replacement sometimes? I've been on those lately but I don't take them like they say to. I know the best nutrition comes from food. I only use to supp sometimes when time is short.