Deads- for hammies AND back? Or for one or the other???

backatit

backatit

Awards
Hey whtsup guys....I have been wondering if deads while using a shoulder width stance would be hitting my back for thickness- or are they mostly targeting hammies- or both? At my peak I was deadlifting 405x8 for 3 sets....and I always attributed that to my backs thickness- I knew it hit hamstrings as well, but I use it primarly for back day.... Is there a way to change your stance so it targets mostly back, or mostly hammies? If so please tell, as I could incorporate it into leg day.....I am aware of SLDL too....thanks

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rack pulls or snatch-grip deads shift the leverage to increase back emphasis.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sumos for hammy and glutes. I cannot have leg day and deads together unless I want to sleep for the next 48 hours, lol.

I do RDL on leg day.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It is most likely going to have to do with your back placement or form a good bit.
If you want to hit hamstrings most, then probably the best hing to do is keep the back quite flat and arched some at bottom and slide the butt back to stretch and train the hams. Like an RDL.
If you want to hit the back more, then some good safer flexion/extension can be had with stone lifting, but most reg deads, SLDL's and all your various rows and shrugs etc. can hit the back quite well.

Alexjet

Awards
I've noticed if I focus on using my lower back more I tend to reduce the distance I shift my butt back while I go down and it reduces the pull on my hamstrings. Also, you can try to reduce the amount you squat your butt down to put more weight in your lower back and using straps if you don't will allow you to fatigue your back more rather than your grip failing first. In all I think as long as it's comfortable and doesn't hurt, keep pulling and you'll be good. And if you wanna target your hammys really good do Dumbell deadlift lol kills my hamstrings

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Paul strikes again with the hammer of knowledge. Stones are probably the #1 back builder you can find.

I consider the deadlift a lower body movement, but try and find a 600lb deadlifter that doesn't have a thick, massive back. You won't.

Edit: all of the advice in this thread is the truth, with the exception being that I would never advise going into lumbar flexion in the deadlift. But since you've pulled 405 for eight, I'll guess you already knew that.

backatit

backatit

Awards
Cool thanks for the advice- I will start incorporating stone lifts- and rack deads to thicken it up- I will also incorporate sumo's for hammies- as well as SLDL thanks gents

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A thing to keep in mind too on say SLDL's, as if you do them pretty slow and deliberate, you can make #135 feel like #335. Dick Conner eluded to this once or twice at The Pitt.
You do not have to go heavy on that type of lift to gain mass. Then you can use the better leverage lifts like the safer BLDL to powerize the mass you gained.