Bench press form looks tottally off

M

Mystere3

Awards
If you're not powerlifting, you can flare your elbows a bit more. That's about a 1/3 rep fwiw.

J

JD261985

Banned
Awards
If you're having pain from lowering the weight you should either lower the amount of weight you're using and work on form or just stick with standard push-ups for now. Regardless you need to be doing full range of motion. Partials have their place but you shouldn't be doing those all the time

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If I try to lower the weight any lower I get shoulder pain.
Where exactly is it?
Does OH pressing bother them at all?

A few things...
You are on a slight incline there, so it might vary depending on being flat or inclined!?
BP's are hard on some trainees shoulders. The very small cuff muscles (especially for "external rotation") may need a little attention and if you google it, they are a few external rotation exercises, followed by some stretching. Google also "The 7 Minute Rotator Cuff Solution/Horrigan" for some insight.

Your larger movers, ie: pecs, delts and triceps may be a bit stronger than the small cuff muscles, so you may need to strengthen those smaller stabilizers first or at least with less overall weight on your BP's some.

hulkish1

hulkish1

Awards
Those reps are as stated before 1/4 reps at best try making the grip a bit closer slowly lower the weight down til it just brushes your nipple area and power the weight back up keeping tension on the pec the whole time.

the wider the grip the more pressure is applied to the deltoids which can be the source of your pain if you have an ac joint or rotator issue.

pblack hit the nail on the head 7minute rotator cuff is an awesome pdf that will help with shoulder related issues

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Those reps are as stated before 1/4 reps at best try making the grip a bit closer slowly lower the weight down til it just brushes your nipple area and power the weight back up keeping tension on the pec the whole time.

the wider the grip the more pressure is applied to the deltoids which can be the source of your pain if you have an ac joint or rotator issue.

pblack hit the nail on the head 7minute rotator cuff is an awesome pdf that will help with shoulder related issues
Watch the last videos I posted. I went way closer and the pain went away, still not touching my chest, but my arms are atleast parallel to the floor now. Also the reason for the slight incline is because, it is easier for me to have my shoulder blades back on an incline than on the flat bench press. No issues with overhead press, except I can only lower and press the bar from below chin level, not my clavicle.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you're not powerlifting, you can flare your elbows a bit more. That's about a 1/3 rep fwiw.
I wouldn't, if you care about your rotator cuff anyway.

Depending on the amount of flare, obviously.

hulkish1

hulkish1

Awards
still the form is a bit off you need to try to focus on full range of motion. the depth was better but needs more practice. check out the rotator solutions and then practice makes perfect. lower weight to just the bar and practice the grip and form till your comfortable and start back at adding weight.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bend the bar as hard as you can on the descent. That will load up the upper back muscles and external rotators and take pressure off of the delicate parts of the shoulder.

Look up some of Donnie Thompson's or Eric Cressey's shoulder solutions, and work that rotator cuff work suggested earlier.

Perhaps work with boards strapped to your chest so you have an aiming point for depth while still limiting ROM.

Keep in mind that pressing consistently with a barbell will require a TON of maintenance on the shoulder joint.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The fact that your not engaging your chest AT ALL and supporting all of the weight on your shoulder joints for the duration of the lift probably has a shyt ton to do with the shoulder pain.

Try to wrap your lats around the bench. This will disengage the shoulder to a great degree. The video with the closer grip takes pressure away from the shoulder because the triceps are handing the load instead of the shoulders and chest.

Sit up straight. Pull your lats back together. Hold the position and lay back. Re adjust your lats to the pulled back position. Widen grip to shoulder width. Unrack the weight using your lats not your shoulders or triceps. Lower the bar ALL THE WAY DOWN to your nipples and press up. Do not press the weight towards your head. Repeat a million times.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The fact that your not engaging your chest AT ALL and supporting all of the weight on your shoulder joints for the duration of the lift probably has a shyt ton to do with the shoulder pain. Try to wrap your lats around the bench. This will disengage the shoulder to a great degree. The video with the closer grip takes pressure away from the shoulder because the triceps are handing the load instead of the shoulders and chest. Sit up straight. Pull your lats back together. Hold the position and lay back. Re adjust your lats to the pulled back position. Widen grip to shoulder width. Unrack the weight using your lats not your shoulders or triceps. Lower the bar ALL THE WAY DOWN to your nipples and press up. Do not press the weight towards your head. Repeat a million times.
All this except for the press towards your head. IMO, press towards your head slightly, but push yourself into the bench and not push the bar away from you.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
The fact that your not engaging your chest AT ALL and supporting all of the weight on your shoulder joints for the duration of the lift probably has a shyt ton to do with the shoulder pain.

Try to wrap your lats around the bench. This will disengage the shoulder to a great degree. The video with the closer grip takes pressure away from the shoulder because the triceps are handing the load instead of the shoulders and chest.

Sit up straight. Pull your lats back together. Hold the position and lay back. Re adjust your lats to the pulled back position. Widen grip to shoulder width. Unrack the weight using your lats not your shoulders or triceps. Lower the bar ALL THE WAY DOWN to your nipples and press up. Do not press the weight towards your head. Repeat a million times.
I try and pull the lats together, I have my shoulder blades together. How do I unrack the weight using my lats?

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I try and pull the lats together, I have my shoulder blades together. How do I unrack the weight using my lats?
Very similar to a straight arm push down. Everything should be solid so when you press upward to unrack the weight your lats will move it from above your head to above your chest.

Don't think about pinning your shoulders back that won't work. Imagine trying to hug someone with your back....If you can invision that. It's not your shoulders being pulled together by using the shoulders. You shorten the deltoid when you pull your back together around the rib cage. Not around your collar bones.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Very similar to a straight arm push down. Everything should be solid so when you press upward to unrack the weight your lats will move it from above your head to above your chest.

Don't think about pinning your shoulders back that won't work. Imagine trying to hug someone with your back....If you can invision that. It's not your shoulders being pulled together by using the shoulders. You shorten the deltoid when you pull your back together around the rib cage. Not around your collar bones.
Are you a taller lifter? I have really long forearms for my frame, which I read can be troublesome on the bench press.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you a taller lifter? I have really long forearms for my frame, which I read can be troublesome on the bench press.
I'm six one. Short legs long arms. That doesn't really matter in this case though. Do what I explained and shoulder pain will get better.

hulkish1

hulkish1

Awards
another thing to remember form is more important then weight perfect form

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I'm six one. Short legs long arms. That doesn't really matter in this case though. Do what I explained and shoulder pain will get better.
Alright, I'll practice. I'll need to find more videos though, I think I know what you mean though. Even when I learn I'm curious how much less does a close grip bench target the chest? I was thinking of trying close grip for awhile, while I learn to bench better with a wider grip. So that I'll learn with a close grip first and maybe do some dumbbell work in the mean time.

hulkish1

hulkish1

Awards
close grip focus is inner chest and tricep mainly and shoulder width is pectoral major and deltoids and wider then shoulder puts an emphasis on deltoids and pectoral minor

correct me if im wrong?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
close grip focus is inner chest and tricep mainly and shoulder width is pectoral major and deltoids and wider then shoulder puts an emphasis on deltoids and pectoral minor

correct me if im wrong?
There isn't an inner chest and all grips work the pec major. Elbow positioning will determine deltoid positioning as much as grip width.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There isn't an inner chest and all grips work the pec major. Elbow positioning will determine deltoid positioning as much as grip width.
This. The inside of the pec grows with overall chest growth. Some exercises can force more blood into the area though. Hex press and cable crossovers can do the trick there.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
So, does that mean, I'm fine just keeping the grip close?

M

Mystere3

Awards
I wouldn't, if you care about your rotator cuff anyway.

Depending on the amount of flare, obviously.
I have a slight flare; it's generally the natural way you would bring your arms down (not focusing on keeping elbows in) and have no rotator cuff pain at all with very high weight for very high reps.

OP,

Using a closer grip will involve your triceps more depending how close you are. You should really bring the bar all the way to your chest for optimum rom. You should still have tension on your chest at that level of depth.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

correct me if im wrong?
Welcome btw! :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It doesn't matter what it looks like with just the bar. There's not enough counterweight to set up properly and keep tension in the scapula.

That being said, you need to move the bar up on the rack. You have it way too low and whatever tension you have is lost.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
You lift the bar out of the rack instead of pulling it out. You also go too low with your bar path.
Any guides or video I can look at? I mean I keep looking at videos, but I cant seem to get the form down.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any guides or video I can look at? I mean I keep looking at videos, but I cant seem to get the form down.
You've been given all the advice you'll need, but you're not implementing it into the lifts.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
From the looks of it, it seems like I am trying to bench with a more powerlifter style.

reps4jesus

reps4jesus

Awards
From the looks of it, it seems like I am trying to bench with a more powerlifter style.
No you're not. Like said above you need to implement the changes these very experienced guys are giving you.

ditch the incline and learn how to flat bench press.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
No you're not. Like said above you need to implement the changes these very experienced guys are giving you.

ditch the incline and learn how to flat bench press.
I'll give flat a try. Last time I tried it was the same issue though.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No.

YouTube "So you think you can bench"

Why do you have the safety bars set so high?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
No.

YouTube "So you think you can bench"

Why do you have the safety bars set so high?
I watched that today. I didn't know where to set them, first time setting the rack up for flat bench.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Your wisest grip was too wide...don't do that again! Your heavy set was also too heavy, it was obvious you were not comfortable with the weight. Lower that and get comfortable under the bar. Also lower your rack pins 1

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I know you don't want to admit this, because you probably feel like you are weak or have something that you are fighting with your ego - but the people saying you should drop the weight are 100% correct. Start with the empty bar and get full reps. And don't just drop the weight, do a full rep and then say, "now let's see if I can do it with 10's on there?" - Just focus on the form. Your body has to learn the movement just like it needs to learn how to shoot a basketball. Practice the movement, not the weight.

You may need to do 1,000 reps before this movement becomes second nature. Do an empty bar - do 5 sets of 20 or 4 sets of 25 with PERFECT form. Then, the next week go to 55 and repeat. Then the next workout, add another 5 pounds. Do this for 10 workouts and you will be doing perfect sets with 95 pounds. At this point, the movement will be close to second nature, and you will have begun to build up your supporting muscles so that you don't have the same issues. The rotator cuff exercises could be good advice too.

After you do this, you will be ready to start lifting the heavier weights. Or you can keep banging your head against the wall trying to bench heavy weights that you can't move effectively, and that are hurting you and creating a potential for injury.