Am i hurting myself more than helping?

murrda

murrda

Awards
Ok I know that as you work out there is a 30 or so min. Window after work out to take protein. Lately my thinking has been if I don't eat or drink protein or any foods post work out then I would burn body fat and not what I put in my body. Now my workouts consist of lighter weight and high reps. Not really trying to build a lot of muscle right now but burn my body fat. I still eat and intake a lot of protein during my day but not post work out. Am I hurting myself more than helping?

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Ok I know that as you work out there is a 30 or so min. Window after work out to take in protein
Doesn't work that way

Ok I know that as you work out there is a 30 or so min. Window after work out to take protein. Lately my thinking has been if I don't eat or drink protein or any foods post work out then I would burn body fat and not what I put in my body. Now my workouts consist of lighter weight and high reps. Not really trying to build a lot of muscle right now but burn my body fat. I still eat and intake a lot of protein during my day but not post work out. Am I hurting myself more than helping?
Over thinking it bud. Just focus on daily nutrition goals

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Unless you train fasted or for a very long duration, that window to get in protein and carbs is not as small as once thought. There are several studies that show the length of time you stay in an elevated insulin state post meal (+-5 hours). This is in general and not know what you are actually doing for a workout or diet, take it for what it is worth. The point being, it is not detrimental to any gains if you don't get that protein immediately after- provided you are not working out in the morning after your nightly fast.

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

Mystere3

Awards
Yeah just get protein soon after your lift, it doesn't have to be a strict 30 minutes.

By the way, low weight high rep isn't necessarily going to burn more body fat, unless you're using that as metabolic conditioning ("cardio") and also lifting heavy.

murrda

murrda

Awards
Yeah just get protein soon after your lift, it doesn't have to be a strict 30 minutes.

By the way, low weight high rep isn't necessarily going to burn more body fat, unless you're using that as metabolic conditioning ("cardio") and also lifting heavy.
Ok, well the main thing I'm trying to figure is, am I hurting myself (muscles) by working out and going to bed with out eating or taking protein. In order to allow my body to feed on stored fat. I still get well over 100 grams in my day

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
IMO, yes. Your muscles need proteins and nutrients to feed on and grow while u sleep. Training then sleeping with no intake will stall progress

Mystere3

Awards
Ok, well the main thing I'm trying to figure is, am I hurting myself (muscles) by working out and going to bed with out eating or taking protein. In order to allow my body to feed on stored fat. I still get well over 100 grams in my day
Yeah eat some protein before bed.

tjbruno

tjbruno

Awards
you wan't to retain as much muscle as possible bro, it's not all about the # on the scale

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
While I like some kind of protein surplus while I sleep because being full as well as the comfort of knowing my bases are covered helps me sleep better, there's some evidence that you're fine so long as you've eaten within 24 hours. The 30/45 minute thing is just marketing hype to get guys to look like douchebags walking around with shakers at the gym. In short, so long as you feel good, you're fine; in the same regards, if you want to eat some, it won't hurt.

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/284/1/E76

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Hey I walk around with a shaker at the gym. But mine is full of water

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This changed from the first post until later in. If you are working out before going to bed, then I would definitely get in carbs and protein post workout.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Agree with most everyone here. You do not have to eat immediately post workout, I also think going to sleep when your body will do most of it's repair is important to have some food to feed the process. When it comes to your nutrition don't think in such minute areas as that because it really comes down to calories in vs calories out. Don't get me wrong macros are just as important for health and muscle building but in the end for weight loss it is the overall deficit you create and not trying to target one specific time. ----------------If anything you are doing the opposite of what i would do myself to lean up. I would concentrate my carb intake around my workout if that is post workout in the evening then that is when it is. You would do better to feed yourself when insulin sensitivity is high from the workout, not because it is more anabolic, but because your blood sugar goes back down to lower levels more quickly and you can get back into a catabolic state to lose fat. You simply can not be naturally anabolic and catabolic at the same time. So create an anabolic environment when it is most important post workout, which is also when you will soak up most of the blood sugar and return to a catabolic state for fat loss the quickest. ------------ If size is not the most important thing for you right now then you might want to look into Intermittent Fasting or Lean Gains style of eating. Extremely good for weight loss, quite easy to execute and you can still gain some muscle while doing it. I don't know that I would say it is the best for gaining muscle but for a good lifestyle diet to lose weight and maintain muscle mass it is hard to beat. There is a big long thread on it in the nutrition forum.DAMN EDITOR SCRUNCHED UP MY POST!