Looking for a good training program

maxram

maxram

Awards
Hi, I'm sort of a newbie. I signed up last year but I haven't really browsed the forum.

I'm 29 years old, I'm a nurse. I'm pretty much sedentary at home after my shifts. I get tired easily.

I weigh 99kg, 5'8". I have a poor diet of eating fastfood at work and cafeteria food for the rest of my meals.

I'm attempting to change for the better but honestly I'm a bit clueless on where to start.

Hoping you guys will help.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First get your diet in check. Is your main goal fat loss or building muscle? How many days can you give at least 45 mins to workout?

maxram

maxram

Awards
I'm on a low carb diet that I started just a week ago because my doctor diagnosed me with developing insulin resistance recently.

I've started running. 30 minutes in the morning and afternoon depending on my shift.

I'm hoping to lose the fat and build muscle.

Thanks for the reply.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Long hours at work? A good place to start is with the diet as this will facilitate the weight loss process.

I recommend using myfitnesspal.com.

After creating an account, google TDEE caculator. This stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure and will give you a very rough idea of how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. Drop 250-500kcals from this number and use this as a starting point.

Now using MFP.com you can create custom goals that will allow you to insert this value.

For protein, aim for 1.6-1.8g per kilogram of bodyweight (multiply your weight by 1.6 or 1.8) and for fat a minimum of 1.2g per kg.
Theres no requirement for carbs so just add in what you want.

You can increase your fats, protein or carbs to meet the rest of your calorie needs.

Using the custom goal page on MFP, try setting the percentages to reflect these numbers.

Play around with adding foods to reach your calorie, protein and fat goal.

Once done we can help with a training plan

maxram

maxram

Awards
Rotating shifts. 8 hours a day. One nurse with 35 patients to take care of. Exhausting.

maxram

maxram

Awards
I chose light exercise 2,881 calories.

I also downloaded the mfp app. For my goals, it's telling me to consume 1,610 calories.

Should I go with mfp suggestion?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I chose light exercise 2,881 calories.

I also downloaded the mfp app. For my goals, it's telling me to consume 1,610 calories.

Should I go with mfp suggestion?
Use the TDEE calculator over the MFP one

maxram

maxram

Awards
I've decided to have my carbs at 100g, protein about 400g with the rest for fat.

Been following it for two days now.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I've decided to have my carbs at 100g, protein about 400g with the rest for fat.

Been following it for two days now.
Keep me updated. PM me for further help with a training plan.

PM me your goals and training history and i'll help you get a plan that works

maxram

maxram

Awards
Thank you very much. For now in trying to build my stamina. I'm doing great. It's been 1 week since i started and I'm now able to run around a basketball three times on my first wind.

A month ago, i could barely run around half the court before panting real hard lol

maxram

maxram

Awards
I'm losing about 2kg a week with just running and diet. Can't wait to hit the gym later this week.

maxram

maxram

Awards
I slowed down to 1kg a week but I guess it's because I started push ups and other isometric exercises.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I slowed down to 1kg a week but I guess it's because I started push ups and other isometric exercises.
1kg per week is a much better rate of loss than 2kg per week :)

maxram

maxram

Awards
Happy to report, now down to 93 kg! Slow and steady wins the race.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Great work Maxram! Just keep up the good work and make this part of your life so that you will stick to it forever. You will be amazed at how much easier it becomes.