5/3/1 Volume on a Cut?

rangestormer

Awards
I used to do 5/3/1 Boring But Big while on caloric surplus, but now I am cutting fat and I am wondering how much volume might be too much. I workout 6 times per week - 3 or 4 time weightlifiting, 2 or 3 times Muay Thai.
So, while on deficit, I decided to drop BBB, and go for something like this:

5/3/1 Main lift sets
3x10 assistance exercise
3x10 assistance exercise
3x10 either ab work, biceps or triceps

I am having hard time determining if that is enough, not enough or too much.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
you are the best gauge on how much work you can handle and how well you will recover.

i would at least do the main lift then any accessory work will be self regulated. so maybe one day you feel good and do an arnold-esque 20 sets of accessory work. another day you are spent after the main lift. just let it happen as it does.

gauge your recovery by resting heart rate, grip strength, sleep patterns, etc. if those are off from the norm, back off the workouts.

basically, do something jim says all the time, dont major in the minors. do the main lift and everything else is fluff.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
you are the best gauge on how much work you can handle and how well you will recover.

i would at least do the main lift then any accessory work will be self regulated. so maybe one day you feel good and do an arnold-esque 20 sets of accessory work. another day you are spent after the main lift. just let it happen as it does.

gauge your recovery by resting heart rate, grip strength, sleep patterns, etc. if those are off from the norm, back off the workouts.

basically, do something jim says all the time, dont major in the minors. do the main lift and everything else is fluff.
I think that is a pretty wise post ^.
IMO, one gotta figure this stuff out in ways by themselves with some trial and error. Sure stick to guidelines but, you are not always gonna be right and that is usually when you learn something about yourself and it sticks better too.