Intermediate split

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
So, this is my third year of lifting.. I usually go on a 4 days split hitting each muscle twice per week.. Sometimes I go 3 times per week hitting 3 times each muscle.
I think I got pretty "standard" results, nothing impressive.. in the last 18 months I gained about 15lbs of lean muscle.

I'm talking about natural bodybuilding, since I'm intermediate is it still better going to hit each muscle multiple times per week?
I usually make my own programs, right now I'm on a Push/Pull+Legs 4days split.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Probably your best markers are going to be, if you are still adding weight to the bar on the big exercises and or recovering properly?
I have trained hitting most areas 2x+ per week over 25 years now.
A few things to remember is...,
-The closer you get to your natural potential, the harder to keep gaining muscular size. (at least without adding more cals and maybe some extra body fat)
- Are you still moving making gains in exercises and body changes?
-Where are your main lifts. ie: BP's, Squats, Deads, OHP's? Some "average" trainees have used the #300 , #400, #500 markers
-After one does reach pretty much full natural potential (at a certain BW) lifting to maintain, is still something one must do to keep those gains in check.

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
Yea I still keep adding weight.. Not every workout but I do..
I wanted just to change a bit my routine because I'm getting used to it and it's becoming a bit boring..

I still like to use different techniques during my wo (supersets and drop sets are my fav).
Going on about 8-10sets for bit muscles and 5-6 for small ones. Each workout ofc

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yea I still keep adding weight.. Not every workout but I do..
I wanted just to change a bit my routine because I'm getting used to it and it's becoming a bit boring..
I hear ya. I think boredom can be one of the hardest things on gains really.
Even if you add bi-weekly to the big exercises that is 25 weeks in year and if you only added 2 pounds, that is still nearly #50 on some big exercises. Not bad really.

Nothing wrong with a bit of experimenting, just be careful or mindful of looking for a magic routine. The magic in any routine, will be in your efforts and how much your head is into the routine.
That said guys have made gains doing more and also doing less. Sure they may not go one forever, but look at it as a lifelong endeavor and you do not have to marry any kind of routine for more than 6-8 weeks, really.
Above all, have fun going in there, because if it gets like a job, your gains will dry right up, believe me.
If that is you in ur avatar, you're doing damn well IMO...!

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for advices.
Yea it's me in the avi, dec 2012. Had 10lbm less but honestly I don't look that much bigger now

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Had 10lbm less but honestly I don't look that much bigger now
Depending on where you put that mass on ie: (legs add some BW, but don't show much upstairs), keep in mind, (and Joe Weider was a master of illusion for greats like Arnold et al), that a cut or defined bodypart, even though it measures smaller, will look larger from the lines and definition. A cut 16" arm, looks bigger than a smooth no lines 18" one. Fact.
Look at Zane, not a large man, but could stand on stage and pretty much wipe anyone with his perfect symmetry.
I think Weider told Belnap, to cut his hair short and his shoulders got wider...! Ha ha ha

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
I agree.. When i was 155lbs but very lean (7% bf) my arms were looking bigger than now.. 35cm vs 38.5