New Workout Split

RyGuy14

RyGuy14

Awards
Hey guys, been doing a push/pull/legs 2x per week split for the past 4 months. Looking to change some stuff up, specifically lowering total volume since my cut is making it a little more difficult to get through 6 workouts per week.
My intent with this workout: I plan on doing this workout for the next 8-10 weeks as part of my cutting and maintainence phases. I will also be using it as the intro for my reverse diet/bulking for probably 2-3 weeks

I'm thinking of going with a 4-day muscle split with 1-day of a crossfit/interval training day

Day 1: Chest and Biceps
Flat Bench: 3x5-8
Incline Bench: 3x5-8
Cable/DB Fly: 3x10-15
Standing Curl: 3x6-12
SUPERSET 1: Incline Curl: 2x8-10
SUPERSET 1: Hammer Curl: 2x8-10

Day 2: Back and Triceps
Rack Pulls: 3x3-8
Row (T-bar/BB/DB): 3x8-12
Weighted Pull-ups: 3x6-10
Skullcrusher/Weighted Dips: 3x6-10
SUPERSET 1: Cable Pushdown: 3x8-12
SUPERSET 1: DB Overhead Extension: 3x8-12

Day 3: Legs
Squats: 3x6-8
Leg Press: 3x8-15
RDLs: 3x8-10
Leg Curl: 3x8-15
Calve Press/Smith Calves: 4x10-15

Day 4: Shoulders, Traps, Abs
Overhead Press (DB/BB/Assisted): 3x8-12
Lateral Raises: 3x10-15
Reverse Fly: 3x10-12
Shrug (Smith/DB): 4x12-15
SUPERSET Circuit: 3x Windshield Wipers (8-10)
SUPERSET Circuit: 3x Decline Oblique Sit-up/Crunch (12-20)
SUPERSET Circuit: 3x Bicycles (Failure)

Day 5: Cardio Crossfit/Stretch
I'm considering a complex downward pyramid-type workout with the following exercises, starting with 6 reps down to 1:

Deads
RDLs
Bentover Row
Clean
Front Squat
Overhead Press
Back Squat
Good Morning

90 second rest, 6 reps, 5 reps, ... 1 rep. Done.

Day 6 and 7 are for resting, but I may only take 1 day off then start the cycle again.

Thoughts? Comments?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
why not do a proven program? and why change the program when diet is key to shedding fat?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It's light on upper back work. Consider adding in more rows and pull ups.

I think you would be better suited on your cardioday with something a little less resistance training orientated. Flip some tires, pull some sleds, carry some heavy implements, etc. Leave the barbells for lifting.

Accomodation and stagnation typically occur after 3-6 sessions (in your case 3-4 weeks) of the same stimuli. Consider modifying the set x rep range on a bi-weekly basis (gives you 1 chance to beat last weeks workout) and the exercises every 4 weeks.

RyGuy14

RyGuy14

Awards
why not do a proven program? and why change the program when diet is key to shedding fat?
I like doing my own program thats tailored to me.
I'm switching because the volume of my current program was more orientated towards hypertrophy, and I am finding it difficult to complete each workout successfully given my calorie reduction.

It's light on upper back work. Consider adding in more rows and pull ups.
Perhaps something like:
Day 2: Back and Triceps
Rack Pulls: 3x3-8
T-Bar Row: 3x8-12
Weighted Pull-ups: 3x6-10
Bent Over Row: 3x8-10
Skullcrusher/Weighted Dips: 3x6-10
SUPERSET 1: Cable Pushdown: 3x8-12
SUPERSET 1: DB Overhead Extension: 3x8-12

I think you would be better suited on your cardioday with something a little less resistance training orientated. Flip some tires, pull some sleds, carry some heavy implements, etc. Leave the barbells for lifting.
My gym doesn't have that kind of equipment, but I am a fan of HIIT so I might end up doing that instead.

Accomodation and stagnation typically occur after 3-6 sessions (in your case 3-4 weeks) of the same stimuli. Consider modifying the set x rep range on a bi-weekly basis (gives you 1 chance to beat last weeks workout) and the exercises every 4 weeks.
I'm just looking to keep my strength and minimize some inevitable loss during my cut, but thank you for the input. I have some other workouts I can use as time goes on.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
The back work looks a little better. Every shoulder exercise should be matched with a pull up type movement, and every chest exercise should be matched with a row or rear delt type movement.You can pick up a parachute fairly cheap, which can add some resistance to your sprint training. Before I bought a sled I used to get together with a buddy and we'd push my car. When he wasn't around, I'd have a neighborhood kid steer it for me.You don't need to make drastic changes to your training, but you will stagnate after doing the same thing over and over again for 4 weeks. And I can almost garauntee you'll get mentally bored of it after 3-4 weeks.