Excersises per muscle group?

marine75023

marine75023

Awards
Still haven't set a workout plan. The last couple months I've just been going in the gym and doing whatever I wanted that day. I just began cycling to bulk. Think ok going to make a workout plan to run for the next 4-6 weeks. My question is how many different exercises do you guys recommend per muscle group? Right now I'm 5'8" 179 my goal is to blow up and put on lots of bulk. I do mostly free weight with some hammer machine and cable push downs for my tri's. So how many exercises should I do per muscle group and how do you guys run your muscle groups. Example Monday- legs and arms, the chest and back. How do you guys pair up your muscle groups for workouts?

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Alright so it could depend. I recommend compound lifts. You could do chest(bench press) legs(squat) arms(whatever you want) then shoulders (military press) then back (dead lift) after you're done with your most important lift that day add 3-5 accessory exercises of your choice to isolate that muscle group. Usually for bodybuilding accessory work you want to do 3-5 sets of 10-15 reps.

Diet is a huge factor so eat big focus on your strength on those compound movements because they are the most important. Look into the 5x5 for your compound movements.

Do some research into the exact split you want to do. But like I said always incorporate those compound movements.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A good rule of thumb in my experience:

Strength
10 to 15 total sets
Maximum 5 - 6 reps per set

Size
15 to 20 sets
10 - 15 reps per set

This is totally subjective though. I used this protocol with with all of my clients when they were just starting out with devoted programs. Afterwards you can run other programs, but they are good starting points.

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
5/3/1 with lots of food. Pick A template but boring but big is his bulker.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i dont train body parts, i train movements, so keep that in mind with my answer.

some workouts i will do 1-2 exercises. like the other day i did squats and deadlifts. some workouts ill just squat, or just bench, or just overhead work. if i do more than 2 exercises its to bring up a weakness in a movement.

as for how many sets, it depends. some workouts i work up to a single heavy set. other days ill do up to 20 sets. it depends on intensity and volume of that workout and i do self regulate. if i cannot complete the routine with the prescribed weight ill quit early. better to not miss a lift than to be constantly missing and injure yourself.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Still haven't set a workout plan. The last couple months I've just been going in the gym and doing whatever I wanted that day. I just began cycling to bulk. Think ok going to make a workout plan to run for the next 4-6 weeks. My question is how many different exercises do you guys recommend per muscle group? Right now I'm 5'8" 179 my goal is to blow up and put on lots of bulk. I do mostly free weight with some hammer machine and cable push downs for my tri's. So how many exercises should I do per muscle group and how do you guys run your muscle groups. Example Monday- legs and arms, the chest and back. How do you guys pair up your muscle groups for workouts?
Yea, if you're looking for a plan to follow, pick an existing proven one like Phat, 5/3/1 etc..... Find one that fits into your time frame that you workout in ie. 3, 4 or 5 day splits. Follow them for a good while to the letter and you'll see definite gains. And if you're looking to bulk, eat clean, and eat alot!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i dont train body parts, i train movements, so keep that in mind with my answer.

some workouts i will do 1-2 exercises. like the other day i did squats and deadlifts. some workouts ill just squat, or just bench, or just overhead work. if i do more than 2 exercises its to bring up a weakness in a movement.
This is similar to what I have done for a very long time because I work almost always in compound moves and very rarely will incorporate isolation work unless I feel it will help my compound lift. In fact, the only isolation work I think I have done for years has been calf work.

I typically do 4-5 movements per day.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
This is similar to what I have done for a very long time because I work almost always in compound moves and very rarely will incorporate isolation work unless I feel it will help my compound lift. In fact, the only isolation work I think I have done for years has been calf work.
im a powerlifter. just 3 lifts i need to focus on. if i do anything else its to improve those 3 lifts.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am of the opinion that if the OP, or anyone for that matter, wants to gain the most size and power, they need to focus on compound and oly style lifts. You can sit and do tri extensions, curls, leg extensions, etc til the end of time and it will never compare to big movement for gains. So rather than thinking about how many moves per muscle, think about well controlled, explosive multi muscle movement.

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
Number of exercises doesn't really matter...look into volume training & set count. The amount of time the muscle is under a load is what counts. 1 exercise or 10 exercise...you need to find what number of sets works best for you. For me my large muscle groups respond best to ~20 sets ....smaller muscle groups ~12-15. Sometimes I only do 2 exercises but still hit 2 sets. For instance, I did chest the other day & did 13 sets of bench starting with a 20 rep set up to my max then lowered back down to a 5-6 rep range for a few sets...The pump was incredible!! However I do have days (like today with shoulders) that I barely got 15 sets because I just wasn't into it. I believe Layne Norton has a vLog on volume training

Mystere3

Awards
I train for mass/symmetry and like to be around 4-6 exercises for 18-20 sets of 8-12 a day. Currently lifting 4 days a week.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I tried advanced 5x5 and it was incredibly tough.(tough is ok but this kicked my ass) I mean it really is something to do 5x5 at near max 3x per five days. With the inevitable deloading then it is more like a progressive program with short reps. I will tell you that at 49, I need those 72 hours of rest in longer split days(CST,BB,legs) before working those muscle groups again and 531 or 5x5 are 48hours of rest in between.

In a CST example:
I notice if I start with Barbell bench press and lift X amount of weight then continue with interweaving compound and isolation exercises if returning to bench press later in the workout than the amount lifted is X - Y. Always. The early lifts are the strongest. So always compound in the early lifts until degradation occurs. Then I switch to targeted(isolation) and return back to X-Y compound variation. Works out to about 9 different movements at 3-5 sets at 5-10reps. Mojo higher some days than others.

That is 3 CST compound, 3 tricep isolated, 3 chest isolated. I am done after that. The compounds are always the same. The isolation ones are varied from week to week.

But you know, we all different regarding tolerance level. Try everything with good form and you will see what works for you.

I would get off Hammer for pushing. I used Hammer for the first six months to get used to pushing weight. Then free weights. Intensity much, much stronger with DBs or BBs. Well worth it.

I still use Hammer for pulling.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
yazan Training Forum 14
ShockCollar Training Forum 1
Ectofighter Training Forum 3
Ectofighter Training Forum 3
Training Forum 48