AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am following PHAT. My bench has seemed to stall. I do not think I need a deload because all of my other lifts are still going up in weight and/or reps. Does anyone think it would be beneficial to swap my bench for OHP? I do OHP anyways, but in the rep range of 6-8 and bench is 3-5. Should I try OHP 3-5 and bench 6-8 for a while?

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you're stuck in a bit of a rut, definitely can't hurt to switch it for a bit! I've had to do similar in the past with certain lifts lagging while others progress well

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds like a technical issue is the likely culprit here.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am following PHAT. My bench has seemed to stall. I do not think I need a deload because all of my other lifts are still going up in weight and/or reps. Does anyone think it would be beneficial to swap my bench for OHP? I do OHP anyways, but in the rep range of 6-8 and bench is 3-5. Should I try OHP 3-5 and bench 6-8 for a while?
Well, you should be in both ranges anyway with PHAT.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Do dumbbells for a bit.
This.
Focus on form, dumbells allow for better ROM and more variations to hit the muscle. Just make sure you're really feeling it hit the chest.

Allows you to throw in the twist press as well, new angle to hit. I will press, twist in the upper ROM, bring the dumbells together and squeeze until you feel the stretch then reverse.

When I run PHAT I actually use a barbell on power chest day and dumbells on hypertrophy

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When I run PHAT I actually use a barbell on power chest day and dumbells on hypertrophy
I do this already. I think I am going to switch up my 3-5 rep range exercise to OHP for a little while. Instead of doing flat bench for 6-8, I might do incline. I was always stronger with incline anyways. I have to think about that switch though.

As far as form, I try to keep everything tight and elbows in. It is difficult to do this with a heavy weight and no lift off. I am not going to blame that though. Another possible form issue is my negative might be too slow. I know My negative is very controlled, maybe too controlled. I have never had confidence benching and I had a heart transplant so I get nervous about a small bounce and splitting me chest open lol. It is completely healed and not possible, it's just a mental thing.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Or you could try eating more since your 5'9 140lbs

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
I'm sitting at 150 now and was able to put on about 15 pounds post surgery about 18 months ago. Thank you though.
Good job. Bt your still light and could add more beef to your body

Out of curiousity, what was the surgery for? Could it be messing up your progression?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good job. Bt your still light and could add more beef to your body

Out of curiousity, what was the surgery for? Could it be messing up your progression?
I know I can and I am trying to. Slowly. I was prepping for a bodybuilding show at the time I got sick. Needless to say, I could not compete. I want to compete within the next 18 months or so. So instead of putting on lost of weight and having to potentially cut a lot, I'm trying to add about a pound a month. I am not too concerned on strength since I want to compete in a bodybuilding show, but I still do want to get stronger. I think I may be asking for too much in terms of keeping my bodyfat and gaining strength. I have to focus on one or the other, but I am trying to improve on both things.

Mystere3

Awards
What caused your heart failure, was it known? Viral?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What caused your heart failure, was it known? Viral?
Genetic mutation. They found three mutations, but ruled one out. I had a heart condition since high school, nothing serious though, then I started feeling like crap all of a sudden. It runs on my dad's side, but I have never had contact with that side of the family, so the doctors cannot find which mutation and why. They would need a sample from someone on that side of the family.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This.
Focus on form, dumbells allow for better ROM and more variations to hit the muscle. Just make sure you're really feeling it hit the chest.

Allows you to throw in the twist press as well, new angle to hit. I will press, twist in the upper ROM, bring the dumbells together and squeeze until you feel the stretch then reverse.

Do dumbbells for a bit.
I did DB's instead of BB for about a month and just crushed my BB bench PR.