Best 5/3/1 approach...

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
I came across the below calculator... all looks good to me, although I'm a bit stumped as to what the best 'Assistance Template' should be? 'Triumvirate' seems a good all rounder. Any thoughts? I know some people will probably say it doesn't matter, just focus on the big three lifts, which I know are what really matter most. Does a specific approach depend greatly on what my lifts currently are though? I've been doing RPT for ages now, and recently started a slow bulk so want to change things up. I've seen some people say RPT can be effective on a bulk too, but far more saying 5/3/1 is the way to go.

blackironbeast.com - 5/3/1 Calculator

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I favor the Periodization Bible template. Don't get caught up in adhering 100% to assistance templates. Vary your intensities and volume with it to address your weaknesses.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I favor the Periodization Bible template. Don't get caught up in adhering 100% to assistance templates. Vary your intensities and volume with it to address your weaknesses.
Solid advice. Don't get married to having to do assistance exactly as it's laid out in the book. Your extra work should be related to your goals, weaknesses, and overall training plan. Dave Tate had a monster article this week elaborating on this if you want a good read. :)

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Solid advice. Don't get married to having to do assistance exactly as it's laid out in the book. Your extra work should be related to your goals, weaknesses, and overall training plan. Dave Tate had a monster article this week elaborating on this if you want a good read. :)
Can you post the link to the article?

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
BBB for motor learning on the big lifts

Hurts like a muther****er when you have to do squats though

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established