5x5 help

Matt 258

Matt 258

Awards
Hi I'm currently 5''11 179 12% bf and trying to cut down to 8%. I need an exercise routine that will help me get there. I've been lifting for 6 years and I know a decent amount of workouts. Someone recommended a 5x5 routine can anyone suggest or link me a routine works a compound muscle Group twice a week.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
2x per...
Day 1 (full body...) Monday
Squat 5x5
BP's 5x5
Rows 4x8
Arms
Abs

Day 2 Thursday
OHP's 4x8
Deads 3x5
Chins or Pull Dwns 4x6-10
Abs
Arms

4x per...
4 Day (Upper Lower Split...)
BP's
OHP's
Horz Pull
Arms
Abs

Day 2
Squats
Hypers or Lunges
Calves
Grip work

Day 3
Off

Day 4
Dips or Inclines
DBOHP's
Chins or Pull Dwns
Arms
Abs

Day 5
Deads
Leg Presses
Calves
Grip work

Day 6-7 off
Repeat

Lots of ways you can split it up
Use the big compounds first and foremost

As far as cutting weight and BF%'s, that is pretty much, food intake and good diet.

Strongman Ian

Strongman Ian

Awards
Agree with previous poster. BF is adjusted through diet, not training. Lifting will, however, up your metabolism. Stay away from a lot of iso work. Compound lifts are what give you the biggest spark. If your body can handle it deadlift twice a week, maybe max 3 one day and max 8 three to four days later. Nothing stokes the fire like heavy pulls. When pressing, do standing overhead. Gives you more bang for your buck than benching. Push presses or push jerks are my personal favorite.

Matt 258

Matt 258

Awards
2x per... Day 1 (full body...) Monday Squat 5x5 BP's 5x5 Rows 4x8 Arms Abs Day 2 Thursday OHP's 4x8 Deads 3x5 Chins or Pull Dwns 4x6-10 Abs Arms 4x per... 4 Day (Upper Lower Split...) BP's OHP's Horz Pull Arms Abs Day 2 Squats Hypers or Lunges Calves Grip work Day 3 Off Day 4 Dips or Inclines DBOHP's Chins or Pull Dwns Arms Abs Day 5 Deads Leg Presses Calves Grip work Day 6-7 off Repeat Lots of ways you can split it up Use the big compounds first and foremost As far as cutting weight and BF%'s, that is pretty much, food intake and good diet.
Thanks for the workout I'm going to try out the second one you suggested!

Matt 258

Matt 258

Awards
Agree with previous poster. BF is adjusted through diet, not training. Lifting will, however, up your metabolism. Stay away from a lot of iso work. Compound lifts are what give you the biggest spark. If your body can handle it deadlift twice a week, maybe max 3 one day and max 8 three to four days later. Nothing stokes the fire like heavy pulls. When pressing, do standing overhead. Gives you more bang for your buck than benching. Push presses or push jerks are my personal favorite.
Yeah we'll all these years I've been only focusing on ISO workouts. Never really went hard on the compound workouts. I started this week and my body is already sore.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah we'll all these years I've been only focusing on ISO workouts. Never really went hard on the compound workouts. I started this week and my body is already sore.
Start light, don't let your ego or other gym personalities effect your programming. Learn the lifts well (especially the big hip, back and leg ones) and add small weekly amounts. You may be surprised the momentum you gain along with workout weights over thew months and size and strength gains.
Are you keeping a log?

Strongman Ian

Strongman Ian

Awards
Haha. Welcome to the world of strength athletics. You should try a Strongman contest for fun. Or better yet, I'm running a Highland Games show in September. If you're on the east coast :)

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5x5 is great but can be taxing on the body so don't be discouraged to take a couple weeks off from 5x5 with lighter machine weight.