Scapular stability training

HATE

Awards
Completed physical therapy a couple weeks ago. Had good results. The pt gave me the go ahead to do my regular lifts but start over at a light weight and progress slowly back to heavier. I was told that my rotator cuff is strong but my scapular stabilizers are weak. My mid and lower traps need a lot of work and my pecs need loosened up. I was told to at least twice a week work on scapular stability by using planks(side and prone). Also on these days I'm supposed to work other core exercises and pushups, I started with incline pushups at pt and then I progressed to regular. I was only dong one set of 10 at pt but I guess I can progress them now. I chose to do my regular lifts on two other days of the week and I train full body those days. I'm also supposed give a lot of focus to machine rows. I discovered that my right mid trap wasn't reacting as fast as the left during the rows so I have to really focus on retracting it and going really slow on the eccentric part of the lift to make it do its job. As of right now I'm using 35-40 pounds on the machine for 15 reps for two sets. Another exercise I'm to do is a prone extension and that involves laying on something with my arms hanging over the edge with my hands pronated, then I do a rowing motion and twist my hands to thumbs up and externally rotate my arms and then extend them straight out for 10-15 reps (working my mid and low traps) and I'm having a hard time finding a good place outside of pt to do them. That's the main bulk of my "at home pt." I was doing various band exercises that included pull aparts and external rotations and unsheathing the sword but I was told I dint really have to continue those anymore unless it feels neccisary. Also My regular lifts are front squats and farmers walk and I do rows on those days. It's not the greatest lifting regime but I'm trying to do what I can. Does anyone have any opinions/thoughts on how I should progress from here or anything else I should add to my routine?

Strongman Ian

Strongman Ian

Awards
Sometimes when I'm doing BB or DB rows I feel it more in my mid back as opposed to upper. Face pulls with bands and lat pulldowns are when I feel it best. For pulldowns, I lean back slightly and focus on squeezing my shoulder blades together. Bent over raises could be effective too. Just spit balling here.

HATE

Awards
Ok. I still do band pull aparts. There is also this other exercise I've been trying and its called the pivot prone pull, for the lower traps. There is a video of it on youtube. I do it with bands bc I don't have access to that machine. Also are there any exercises you guys think I should avoid right now? I'm staying away from benching and overhead pressing. I thought about adding dips or the landmine press but im really unsure about that.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Full dips actually aggravated my back. The scapular ones done with locked elbows were comfortable, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucj5HZFfXes I'm sure it'll be individual - if you want to dip, I suggest keeping your foot on a bench or something in case you need to bail.
Heavy curls might irritate you, too. I found preacher curls to be quite painful.
Light, strict military presses might be useful to you.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Face Pulls and Cable rows where you pull the handle into your abdomen worked for me. I did lighter weight high (like 20-30) reps for the rows, and I usually do 5 X 10 on Face Pulls.

HATE

Awards
Face pulls really dont go well for me and it seems to be because my rear delts take over the movement and my humerus hyper extends. For the scapular dip, what is the proper form? Like during the movement do you keep the scapulas retracted?

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
There's really only so much room for them to move when your arms are in that position. Stay upright, face forward, pause a sec at the top of your range of motion. It can also be done on a bench if your grip is weak - butt next to bench, legs straight, arms locked upright witrh palms down on bench.

HATE

Awards
Ok I'll give the scapular dips a try. Thanks for all the advice guys

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established