Deadlifts without bleeding

merph

merph

Awards
I've been having a problem lately with my shins bleeding every time I deadlift. Anyone got advice on how to fix that? I'm going to go a couple weeks just using a trap bar for deads and let my shins heal up and see if that works.

Before anyone says use the search button if this is a common question I'm working 12 hour shifts 6 days a week and Sunday is spent prepping food and doing laundry. I searched a little but don't have a whole lot of spare time.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Long socks. Sweats, or shin guards. They make shin guards just for deadlifting at meets

You can also switch to sumo

Do you wear flat footwear or deadlift barefoot?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good suggestions^

Also check your form. If the bar is too far away or hips too low or too much forward shin angle, you're gonna grind em.

Sumo still catches my shins but just a different part. Baby powder on you will help the bar slide better too. You'll just be an ******* in the gym with baby powder everywhere. I've also seen a guy put a strip of duct tape down his shin.

merph

merph

Awards
Thanks. I think I'm going to just try pants. Its better to bleed on my pant legs than the bar. And I just wear regular running shoes in the gym.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Thanks. I think I'm going to just try pants. Its better to bleed on my pant legs than the bar. And I just wear regular running shoes in the gym.
Try barefooting it once next time you deadlift. And by barefoot, I mean leave your socks on

merph

merph

Awards
I'll give it a try. Any benefits from being barefoot?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Without seeing a heavy work set form vid (and I know I hit mine a bit too) I'm with Unjun and Sean. Some guys even put tape up the shins.

Strongman Ian

Strongman Ian

Awards
I'll give it a try. Any benefits from being barefoot?
I used to deadlift barefoot, and still do occasionally. But I'd recommend trying to pull in Chuck Taylors. The height difference is minimal and you feel much more stable during the pull. That's what I've found anyway. And shin scraping is fairly common on pulls, so I wouldn't be overly concerned.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I only DL in socks. Even my 0 rise don't feel as good as having my feet on the ground.

Also, I am finding that I am becoming more of a rarity in that I take pride in beat up shins. They are destroyed from years of heavy bag work anyway, but I still don't mind seeing some blood there.