Cybex Leg Press vs Squat

Chemist63

Board Supporter
Awards
How close does the Cybex Leg Press compare to doing actual squats? I can press a lot more than I can squat. Can I just do them in place of squats?

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
There is no comaparison, squats are way harder. You can do them instead if you want, but if you want to get as strong and as much development as possible do the squat. The easiest way to learn to squat correctly is to start box squatting, it is hard as hell, but after a couple of months you will be much stronger. Leg press is for weenies lol.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Nate dawg is right. what I did was strip the bar, go ass to ground and work up from there. Best thing I ever did for legs.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Leg Presses have their place, but there is no replacement for squats.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
No way man, leg presses all the way!~

:rofl: just kidding. The only leg press machine I would advocate is the sled style, and only for people who are trying to bring up lagging quads (proper squatting isn't a huge quad lift - if you are primarily using your quads you are damaging your knees) or if you have a lower back injury that squats aggrevate.

rjones

Awards
If you are also trying to avoid working your glutes, then go with heavy leg presses. It's not a bessing to have your ass be your fastest growing muscle.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Hey man, if you have the genes for black bubble booty, go with it :D

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I can definately feel squats working my whole core. Exnihilo is right when he says quads are not the only part work. Balancing the weight bringing it up requires your whole body pretty much. Leg press has it's place if you are injured for squats or you're just a pussy, but try to stick to the major compound freeweights whenever possible!

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
Me personally I use the cybex to go heavy and pre-exhaust the legs. Then I do low weight squats. I have a lot of missing cartilage in my back and a turn any wrong way on squats and Im out for atleast a week. I got no plans to be a powerlifter and I grow better when not injured so I see nothing wrong with swapping the two as long as you do some exercises to help strengthen the core.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I'm hating the fact that I'm going to have to go to the leg press :( We have several different types at my gym though (different styles, hack squats, sled types, angles, etc). I injured my lower back 2 weeks ago and haven't been lifting since. It was the end of an HST cycle, and I injured it doing squats, went back a week later and did shrugs and hurt it again, so next week I may start back again with the leg press.

With that all said, it should imply that squats are the way to go if you can!! You don't "have" to do them, but given the choice I will always pick squats if possible, they have yielded MUCH better leg development for me than other exercises (just leg extensions or presses, etc).

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
Not so sure about the whole "squats are the way to go if you can". If we were all powerlifters or played sports I would say always choose squats but we're not. The main reason most of us here lift weights is either health or vanity reasons and not sport specific. I think it was Dorian Yates who actually quit doing squats in favor of leg presses. Dont get me wrong I think squats are an excellent exercise but I just dont see a need for a bodybuilder who does other core exercises such as deads for them to be the base of your leg routine. There risk of injury is greatly reduced while more weight can be added.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
ironviking: "There risk of injury is greatly reduced while more weight can be added."

This is true, but IMHO it is like comparing smith bench presses (ego trip) with freeweight bench. The added weight doesn't really mean anything since it's not even the same exercise, and injury can be avoided with squats with the proper form and knowing your limits with the weight and raising it responsibly.

I lift for vanity as mentioned before, but I figure as long as I'm putting all this work into bodybuilding I might as well have a functional physique too. What good is being able to lift a bunch of weight on a machine if you can't do this same motion in real life without getting injured because your supporting muscles aren't developed?

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
ironviking: "There risk of injury is greatly reduced while more weight can be added."

This is true, but IMHO it is like comparing smith bench presses (ego trip) with freeweight bench. The added weight doesn't really mean anything since it's not even the same exercise, and injury can be avoided with squats with the proper form and knowing your limits with the weight and raising it responsibly.

I lift for vanity as mentioned before, but I figure as long as I'm putting all this work into bodybuilding I might as well have a functional physique too. What good is being able to lift a bunch of weight on a machine if you can't do this same motion in real life without getting injured because your supporting muscles aren't developed?
This I agree with. The additonal "risk" of squats can be avoided if proper form is used. It is more than likely the only reason I injured my lower back is because I was not using proper form with heavy weight. :eek:

I agree we do not "need" squats in a BB'ing program. I do, however, stand by the fact that they will be a better choice than leg press if no complications interfere.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
Wait a sec I emphasized working the core muscles as well. The cybex leg press works on a cam so the movement does work some of the supporting muscles as well such as the IT Band, and the sartorius, as well as the glutes, hams, and quads. This only applies if you do full ROM same as with the squat and alot of people can actually gauage their ROM better on the leg press than the squat.

Now lets talk real world
say your in a car crash and the doors are stuck closed and you need to kick the windshield out - leg press movement

your cruising around on your ATV and it flips over on you, you need to kick it off - leg press movement

your breaking into a house and they got a deadbolt, you need to kick in the door - leg press movement

Only joking on that last one. But seriously I'm not puting down squats at all but for our purposes why cant leg presses be the base of the leg routine and squats be an ancillary.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
leg presses certainly can be the base of a leg routine IMO, but I would not opt for that first choice, that's what I'm stressing ;)

as for ROM.... if we are talking "real-world".... cmon' man, most people's ROM on leg presses is utter ****. The same can hold true for squats, but leg presses I've seen many guys go as low as 6" or so :rolleyes:

rjones

Awards
leg presses certainly can be the base of a leg routine IMO, but I would not opt for that first choice, that's what I'm stressing ;)

as for ROM.... if we are talking "real-world".... cmon' man, most people's ROM on leg presses is utter ****. The same can hold true for squats, but leg presses I've seen many guys go as low as 6" or so :rolleyes:

Yeah, but you sure look like a stud if you're leg pressing all the weight that will fit on the press, even if you're only slightly nudging it around. I think we've all seen "this guy" too.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
True most guys dont train legs with proper form on any machine but I would rather do full ROM on leg presses (knees into the armpits) than 1/4 squats any day. I was up to over 400 on squats and my left knee and back weren't happy about it, I can go up over 1000lbs on the cybex with no knee or back probs and that is with full ROM. If I go heavy on squats now it seems I'm more worried about hurting myself than going all out on the set. For some people I just dont think the body mechanics are there for the squat and for these people the leg press is a much better choice. IMHO

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Now lets talk real world
say your in a car crash and the doors are stuck closed and you need to kick the windshield out - leg press movement

your cruising around on your ATV and it flips over on you, you need to kick it off - leg press movement

your breaking into a house and they got a deadbolt, you need to kick in the door - leg press movement.
You dont want to look like a wussy and be a real man - Squat (J/K:poke:)

I understand what you guys are saying about the injuries and the leg press making it easier and less aggravating to those injuries, then you should probably leg press if squat hurts so bad. Although, lots of people make the excuse that it hurts them to squat, because the squat is just such a hard lift, if it was easy more people would be doing it. It really shouldnt be that hard to learn proper squatting technique as long as you have a box to squat to and do some research, having someone that knows how to squat properly would help to. Box squatting is the fastest way to learn good form. The leg press does have its place in leg hypertrophy, but if it comes down to which one is overall the better leg exercise, and the person is capable of squatting, squatting is the way to go.

BTW, ironviking, are you sure that your location is "in the squat rack about to puke"....did you just get done with a really hard set of leg presses or what:p? Sorry man, just giving you a hard time, I saw it and had to say it.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
LOL that is funny. Thats when I was actually doing some heavy squating, when my back and knee could handle it. I think my problem is I've gone past the point of squats being uncomfortable and them actually causing pain and injury, yes the injury is probably caused by things other than squats but hey you work with what you got.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Heh, if you can't do squats for whatever reason that's cool, but why you would choose an exercise that works much less muscle and doesn't develop stabilizers if you had the choice is beyond me. My 2 cents.

mghoodlum

Awards
Squats = full body exercise

Leg press = leg exercise

When i work out i like to use exercises that i get the "most bang for my buck." The squats work all the major leg muscles plus lower back and abs and stabilizers. I would think only doing leg presses could result in some major muscle inbalances. So If I could only due one i would choose squats because i think it is a more effiecient exercise. I will also add, I hate to squat:frustrate but i still do them:cheers: .

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
Travelling DB lunges!!!

I find travelling dumbbell lunges to be a suitable replacement for squats for those who can't do squats. Definitely they are better than leg press.

Crotalus

Awards
I agree with the squats over LP here but seems to me the BEST thing for quad development is speed skating, LOL. I was just watching it the other night and it reminded me that I've never seen a speed skater , male or female, without incredible thigh deveopment.

The camera was right in front of them and that was all you saw coming at you was thighs and arms ... just bulging quads on all of them.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the squats over LP here but seems to me the BEST thing for quad development is speed skating, LOL. I was just watching it the other night and it reminded me that I've never seen a speed skater , male or female, without incredible thigh deveopment.

The camera was right in front of them and that was all you saw coming at you was thighs and arms ... just bulging quads on all of them.
I think they look big mostly in comparison to the rest of them...

Lone Wolf

Awards
I wouldn't say leg press is for weenies. Some people, for whatever the reason can't do things like squats or deads. I've seen many a big person wyho never did those two exercises, and yes, they did have well developed legs. And hey, at least theya re doing something for their legs.

Me personally, I am down to just deadlfiting and not squating. After nearly ten years my body isn't what it use to be.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
If your injured then leg press. But Squats are waaay more effective at helping you get bigger. Not only is your whole body having to hold the weight, therby building the stabilizers, the squat also gives you a huge spike in hormone levels. So for me squats are a much more effective exercise.

weeenisss

Board Supporter
Awards
i alternate between the two exercises and find it works out pretty well

mmorpheuss

mmorpheuss

Awards
  • Established
IMO the chances of being injured are greatly reduced the moment one decides whether they want to be a bodybuilder or a powerlifter.

Too many egos out there lead to injuries more often than not. When in the long run great strength can be the byproduct of concentrating on form and feel.

Oh yea, got to bump the box squats comments. I couldnt recommend those enough.

Swole2

Awards
Squats are the way to go. Try doing 10 sets of 10 reps 2min intervals, with 185lbs. German Volume training, not meant to be done every leg day, and I've gotten awesome results. Keep on liftin'.