Workouts to gain more width in legs?

DangerFit84

DangerFit84

Awards
I'm 6'6 so you can imagine its tough putting big size on my legs because they are so long. I have pretty good depth but I want wider quads, the kind that Bow out. Any tips or exercises would be helpful.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
skwatz and milk

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm 6'6 so you can imagine its tough putting big size on my legs because they are so long. I have pretty good depth but I want wider quads, the kind that Bow out. Any tips or exercises would be helpful.
Chances are if you're not getting thickness in your legs you're not training legs hard enough, you're under recovered, or you're not eating enough calories. Don't use long legs as an excuse. I'm 6'5 and I can go pretty heavy. Squats x3 sets. Leg press 5x and lunges 4x . There's my quad routine excluding warm ups.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You got legs like that from 3 sets of squats and leg pressing?

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
You got legs like that from 3 sets of squats and leg pressing?
3 sets of squats , 5 sets of Leg press and 4 sets of lunges. That's more than enough to stimulate growth.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
3 sets of squats , 5 sets of Leg press and 4 sets of lunges. That's more than enough to stimulate growth.
How many reps per set? With legs, I try to keep my reps around 15-20.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
How many reps per set? With legs, I try to keep my reps around 15-20.
6 to 15 on squats. 15 to 25 on leg press(I am doing single leg atm.) and 10 to 20 lunges...Each side. You will walk funny the first time you do this. Throw in a warm up set of just the bar squats or leg extensions. Don't ****ing pre exaust. Just warm up. 15 at the least to warm up.

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
For you maybe...don't forget everyone responds differently to various stimuli. I have to use volume training & do at least 30+ sets for my legs at various rep ranges with the high end at 20 & low end 5...and on a good day I do 1-2 50 rep sets. I'm 6ft & my legs are pretty well developed. However with calves low reps don't work so the low end is 10 & goes up from there.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
6 to 15 on squats. 15 to 25 on leg press(I am doing single leg atm.) and 10 to 20 lunges...Each side. You will walk funny the first time you do this. Throw in a warm up set of just the bar squats or leg extensions. Don't ****ing pre exaust. Just warm up. 15 at the least to warm up.
This is about a 1/3 of my leg routine and I would never respond like you. I have to hit both the 8-12 and 2-5 range to really see growth and keep the explosiveness. My legs are what I love the most and it took a crap ton of work to get them here.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
For you maybe...don't forget everyone responds differently to various stimuli. I have to use volume training & do at least 30+ sets for my legs at various rep ranges with the high end at 20 & low end 5...and on a good day I do 1-2 50 rep sets. I'm 6ft & my legs are pretty well developed. However with calves low reps don't work so the low end is 10 & goes up from there.
question on your claim of everyone response differently. if that was true, how? why? can you explain the mechanisms behind the difference?

also, if we are all homo sapien, have the same anatomy and therefore the physiology, how is that even possible?

not trying to bash or be rude, i am seriously curious. people say that a lot and i would like to understand why. most people have no idea which to me is a big deal and makes me even more curious.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I seem to remember you having this question in the past several times, unless I am thinking of someone else. To answer your question with a question- do you feel everybody should or does respond to the same training in the same manner? Your question is one that could be found with individual research and investigation, so it would seem that you are trying to make the poster feel like they need to back up a simple comment.

Cut and paste this into Google to start:
does genetic makeup determine response to weight training

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
question on your claim of everyone response differently. if that was true, how? why? can you explain the mechanisms behind the difference?

also, if we are all homo sapien, have the same anatomy and therefore the physiology, how is that even possible?

not trying to bash or be rude, i am seriously curious. people say that a lot and i would like to understand why. most people have no idea which to me is a big deal and makes me even more curious.
Show me your research that everyone should train like you do. Remember you made the general statement first. Plus did you ever think as to why there are so many different ways to workout? If we only needed one way than all the other types of workouts would be useless.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Show me your research that everyone should train like you do. Remember you made the general statement first. Plus did you ever think as to why there are so many different ways to workout? If we only needed one way than all the other types of workouts would be useless.
im not making a claim of any sort. i am asking a question to learn more. i want to better understand why we all need a different workout yet have the same mechanisms for muscle stimulus and adaptation. or as i usually put it, we have the same anatomy and therefore the same physiology.

it is not a challenge, as most people take it. it is a serious question. why? i would really like to know. you were the one that actually made a claim on 4/22 at 8:12pm central time. so i wanted some clarification. if you dont know i will understand. as another poster above has mentioned, i have asked this question before and rarely does anyone even attempt to answer. most people just think im bashing or calling people out or trolling, of which i am not trying to do any of those.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
I seem to remember you having this question in the past several times, unless I am thinking of someone else. To answer your question with a question- do you feel everybody should or does respond to the same training in the same manner? Your question is one that could be found with individual research and investigation, so it would seem that you are trying to make the poster feel like they need to back up a simple comment.

Cut and paste this into Google to start:
does genetic makeup determine response to weight training
i have been googling and using google scholar for many years. i am forming an opinion on the mechanism, mainly that something that appears to be so simple is deemed as massively complicated. mainly based on the usual response of aggression and not an answer to the question itself. it seems people just dont know why we are all different yet the same. well, most people that is. there are tidbits out there but little to confirm its validity.

the topic has definitely become an interest. a hobby i guess. i am still very much in the info gathering stage still though. i hope to someday go beyond opinion and form a hypothesis. i doubt i will be lucky enough to ever form an opinion. maybe if it was my job as researcher and not just just a hobbyist/enthusiast.

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
im not making a claim of any sort. i am asking a question to learn more. i want to better understand why we all need a different workout yet have the same mechanisms for muscle stimulus and adaptation. or as i usually put it, we have the same anatomy and therefore the same physiology.

it is not a challenge, as most people take it. it is a serious question. why? i would really like to know. you were the one that actually made a claim on 4/22 at 8:12pm central time. so i wanted some clarification. if you dont know i will understand. as another poster above has mentioned, i have asked this question before and rarely does anyone even attempt to answer. most people just think im bashing or calling people out or trolling, of which i am not trying to do any of those.
First off...stating the day & time I made a post makes you sound like a troll stirring up trouble (and including "central time" makes ya sound like an a$$)...if you have always responded this way no wonder no one has ever answered your question. Secondly, all you have to do is search "variation in workouts" and you'll get a TON of proof. If you do the SAME workout EVERY day your body will adapt & it will never change. Sure you will still get exercise & burn calories which is better than nothing. But if you are on this forum then I'm assuming you actually want your muscles to GROW. "Muscle Confusion" is another term to research. We also can not forget the mental aspect...everyone doesn't have the same goals...you adapt your workout to meet your goals.

You very well may not have meant your comment as a challenge or trolling game...but 2 people in the same thread have taken your response this way which tell me if you are serious about getting an HONEST answer you need to start your own thread & word it better...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I tend to agree with this. Granted, I'm genetically lucky in the thigh department, but too many people focus on just sets and reps and neglect frequency and intensity. Also, leg extensions and leg curls are a waste of energy and are better spent on unilateral thigh work.

First off...stating the day & time I made a post makes you sound like a troll stirring up trouble (and including "central time" makes ya sound like an a$$)...if you have always responded this way no wonder no one has ever answered your question. Secondly, all you have to do is search "variation in workouts" and you'll get a TON of proof. If you do the SAME workout EVERY day your body will adapt & it will never change. Sure you will still get exercise & burn calories which is better than nothing. But if you are on this forum then I'm assuming you actually want your muscles to GROW. "Muscle Confusion" is another term to research. We also can not forget the mental aspect...everyone doesn't have the same goals...you adapt your workout to meet your goals.

Muscle confusion is a myth.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
I tend to agree with this. Granted, I'm genetically lucky in the thigh department, but too many people focus on just sets and reps and neglect frequency and intensity. Also, leg extensions and leg curls are a waste of energy and are better spent on unilateral thigh work. Muscle confusion is a myth.
P90 bro. #tonyhorton #middleagedhousewives

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
I tend to agree with this. Granted, I'm genetically lucky in the thigh department, but too many people focus on just sets and reps and neglect frequency and intensity. Also, leg extensions and leg curls are a waste of energy and are better spent on unilateral thigh work.

Muscle confusion is a myth.

Provide the research

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
For what? That muscle confusion is just a snazzy term that somebody made up? Your muscles don't get confused.
For what? That muscle confusion is just a snazzy term that somebody made up? Your muscles don't get confused.
If the following things don't change your body will NOT grow:

1. Intensity (Degree of Effort)
  2. Volume (weight x sets x reps)
  3. Density (volume/time)
The OP that asked this question asked why can't everyone do his workout...you do need to vary this three things in order for muscular growth to occur. Yes everyone could use the same exercises but there HAS to be variation in intensity, volume & density. Since ever person is at a different level of fitness, we all can't train at the same intensity or life the same weight or same reps/sets, etc. Maybe me using the term "muscle confusion" was a bad choice for what I want trying to say. But doing the same thing every single day without some variation will cause stagnation in muscle growth. No your muscle do NOT get "confused"...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If the following things don't change your body will NOT grow: [*]Intensity (Degree of Effort) [*]Volume (weight x sets x reps) [*]Density (volume/time) The OP that asked this question asked why can't everyone do his workout...you do need to vary this three things in order for muscular growth to occur. Yes everyone could use the same exercises but there HAS to be variation in intensity, volume & density. Since ever person is at a different level of fitness, we all can't train at the same intensity or life the same weight or same reps/sets, etc. Maybe me using the term "muscle confusion" was a bad choice for what I want trying to say. But doing the same thing every single day without some variation will cause stagnation in muscle growth. No your muscle do NOT get "confused"...
I agree, but that's known as overload. Muscle confusion as it is colloquial known, however, is a myth.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards

You very well may not have meant your comment as a challenge or trolling game...but 2 people in the same thread have taken your response this way which tell me if you are serious about getting an HONEST answer you need to start your own thread & word it better...
i am not asking or even implying that we should do the same workout all the time. i asked for clarification on your post, that we all respond differently. this is isnt about me, this is about your post. yes, i have an interest and therefore i am trying to learn more about it. but it does seem that you are not sure yourself. at least you have not been able to give me the mechanisms of why. you just mention for me to do a google search. i have done that dozens if not hundreds of times over the years i have been looking for an answer. you seem to want to bash me for trying to learn more. like im an idiot for asking questions. scientists ask questions all the time. even when they find an answer they still ask, is it the right answer. thats how we get things like peer reviewed.

at least twice now you have tried to say i made a claim which anyone that can read can see i did not. you have tried to put words in my mouth as well. you are the one being negative and giving the appearance of bashing. i just asked a question and you got all butt hurt. it seems you cannot answer the question. i get that. it seems to be a massively complicated question.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Since ever person is at a different level of fitness, we all can't train at the same intensity or life the same weight or same reps/sets, etc.
see, thats an answer to what i was asking. although nothing that is not common knowledge on the topic.

it could be that simple, i would love to find out. and i guess i will keep searching elsewhere. thank you for your time.

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
i am not asking or even implying that we should do the same workout all the time. i asked for clarification on your post, that we all respond differently. this is isnt about me, this is about your post. yes, i have an interest and therefore i am trying to learn more about it. but it does seem that you are not sure yourself. at least you have not been able to give me the mechanisms of why. you just mention for me to do a google search. i have done that dozens if not hundreds of times over the years i have been looking for an answer. you seem to want to bash me for trying to learn more. like im an idiot for asking questions. scientists ask questions all the time. even when they find an answer they still ask, is it the right answer. thats how we get things like peer reviewed.

at least twice now you have tried to say i made a claim which anyone that can read can see i did not. you have tried to put words in my mouth as well. you are the one being negative and giving the appearance of bashing. i just asked a question and you got all butt hurt. it seems you cannot answer the question. i get that. it seems to be a massively complicated question.
Are you BLIND? I answered you and then some! And of course you need to refresh your memory on what YOU wrote because you DID state that EVERYONE should do YOUR workout! If anyone is butt hurt it's you!

If you can't contribute anything USEFUL to this post then don't post. I'm done with you and will report anymore BS from you to the mods...

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I see a lot of argument over my comment in here. I responded to his question . Leg width. I figure he's not worried about calves, hamstrings or glutes. I left these out.

I don't just go in there and do 3 different exercises for my legs. To get quad width however....do those and your quads will grow.

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
see, thats an answer to what i was asking. although nothing that is not common knowledge on the topic. it could be that simple, i would love to find out. and i guess i will keep searching elsewhere. thank you for your time.
Why are some people allergic to peanut butter but I would eat an entire jar of it when I was younger?

Our endocrine and nervous systems aren't identical and respond differently.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
But who was hamstrings?

Oh nvm read above post lol

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Muscle confusion isnt real man. They dont know no different

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Are you BLIND? I answered you and then some! And of course you need to refresh your memory on what YOU wrote because you DID state that EVERYONE should do YOUR workout! If anyone is butt hurt it's you!

If you can't contribute anything USEFUL to this post then don't post. I'm done with you and will report anymore BS from you to the mods...
I love how you're new here, are abusive yet think you are in the right.

Ozzie wasnt being rude, yet you are. Whose side do you think the mods will take?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
We also can not forget the mental aspect...
This is probably a more important point, but no one really knows how to put this into the equation or under the microscope, (in comparison to each other) so it gets little attention as to the effects of gains or approaches. The CNS might have more to do with "will" than "way"!?
If the OP at 6'5" cannot get his head into the volume of a shorter guy, then sure, but all of us can pretty much use the same exercises and the majority of load rates @ 70%-85% of maxes for multi sets/reps.

The other differences might be ROM's ie: Coan can perhaps do more direct leg and chest work/volume/frequency because of a shorter stroke with limb length, than say Gillingham as he is much taller.
I see thin, tall guys, trying to copy the routines of thick, shorter guys all the time and wonder why they fall short.

It may have also have to do with FT and ST fibers, (as far as training approaches, but exercises are still the same IMO) as sprinters/explosive athletes tend to have bulkier quads and they have more FT fibers.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It may have also have to do with FT and ST fibers, (as far as training approaches, but exercises are still the same IMO) as sprinters/explosive athletes tend to have bulkier quads and they have more FT fibers.
This is the biggest thing, IMO. Yes, the exercises may be the same, but that would explain why one person benefits more than another. They would need to tailor their workouts to get the same results because they are not suited for the same workload. Genetics also play into how a person utilizes oxygen and generates ATP, which comes into play with the length of time they can train and what the best approach would be.

mikespe

mikespe

Awards

Ozzie wasnt being rude, yet you are. Whose side do you think the mods will take?
I love how you aren't contributing anything positive either. ...2 of us called him out and he continued. He's trolling period since he hasn't asked his question in his own thread....hijacked 2 threads already...why don't we ask the mods?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I love how you aren't contributing anything positive either. ...2 of us called him out and he continued. He's trolling period since he hasn't asked his question in his own thread....hijacked 2 threads already...why don't we ask the mods?
Go ahead lol.

He's asking a legit question. Are you one of those people who tattle on even the most trivial of details?

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
Go ahead lol.

He's asking a legit question. Are you one of those people who tattle on even the most trivial of details?
I will not be drawn into a trolling war...period. Take this to PM if you want to continue and stop cluttering the thread!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Whose side do you think?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Whose side do you think?
Neither.

I was thinking that ozzie was asking some good questions; things are often parroted without an attempt at looking for a source and seeking clarification or data is a move forward imo

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I consider the side of reason. State your case. You can't force your opinion or fact on anyone. Unfortunately that is what happens on the boards. If this were face to face would you stalk me and force me to consider or accept your statement? No. You may try to...once! :)

You walk away unless you're an ******* and then we can both devolve to stupidity.

No different here. State your case and walk away. No one is require to embrace your opinion or fact regardless.

Get along or move along.

Thanks. :)

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Several of us have referenced this and it is a very well known fact as well as answering the question regarding why so people respond differently. So I guess I have been missing what the actual question/argument is. In any case, always appreciate when you join a thread, Dunn.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Several of us have referenced this and it is a very well known fact as well as answering the question regarding why so people respond differently. So I guess I have been missing what the actual question/argument is. In any case, always appreciate when you join a thread, Dunn.
I prefer to contribute positively rather than moderate controversy.

Obviously we are not all genetically or physiologically the same so how in the world can the same stimuli produce the same results in everyone? Do you or I have a difinitive answer? Not I. I'm not a geneticists nor a physiologist nor do I believe any here are either.

If I happen to see something substantive and evidence based then I would surely welcome the education.

I'm still too young to know it all :D

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
So...anyone?
Fiber types can convert to other types (or take on the characteristics of) http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00572189

And further http://link.springer.com/article/10.2165/00007256-200434100-00004

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-201X.2001.00781.x/abstract;jsessionid=002175E1EAC5C754AE791225209A01AD.f02t02?deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00426141

As Bbers tend to hypertrophy both type I and type IIa and type IIx can convert more readily to type IIa; is muscle fiber type really AS limiting as we think?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fiber types can convert to other types (or take on the characteristics of) http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00572189

And further http://link.springer.com/article/10.2165/00007256-200434100-00004

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-201X.2001.00781.x/abstract;jsessionid=002175E1EAC5C754AE791225209A01AD.f02t02?deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00426141

As Bbers tend to hypertrophy both type I and type IIa and type IIx can convert more readily to type IIa; is muscle fiber type really AS limiting as we think?
Yes. I saw that as well. Its well above me to know or understand.

Ecto, endo, meso...? Any relevance?

Calves don't grow - ever. Yet again, have I exhausted all means, methods and effort? Nah!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yes. I saw that as well. Its well above me to know or understand.

Ecto, endo, meso...? Any relevance?

Calves don't grow - ever. Yet again, have I exhausted all means, methods and effort? Nah!
I tend to avoid those terms as people are rarely ever just one type and often use those terms to explain a poor diet or training habits. If you put all 3 people on a similar training plan and diet they will all of course put on muscle at varying levels, however if the training plan is good, I would expect all to increase LBM to some degree. We train most of our elite lifters using similar programs but just change things dependant on where they are n the training cycle. All of them are genetically different but all train using the same rep ranges and all are heading to various championships.

In relevance to OP; Genetics play a role, but I try break that term down to actually mean something, I.e pathophysiologically low T levels, higher than normal estrogen or decreased muscle insulin sensitivity as examples; then of course limb lengths, muscle tightness and other things will come into play but if we are talking increasing quad size, the most important factor is including some form of overload in order to create a new stimulus for growth.

Calves are a tough one but some good exercises are farmers walks on toes and pushing a prowler on toes. I know some plans advocate to train calves daily as well.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Its well above me to know or understand.
I think too much science gets in the way of working really hard, for some people. For them, no matter what kind of news you give them, they may never really reach fuller potential, because you need to focus the energy, work and determination, more so than being concerned about proper ATP receiving. So there is less at work, intellectual wise.
Ozzie's statement about squats and milk, will IMO go farther in putting mass on the legs and all over the body and pos chain, than some more complicated less big body worked programs. Since he went right to his simple point and did not write say, parallel squats (because he is quite tall) 12-15-20 rep squats, 2x per week adding #5 a week for 10 weeks+ and eating like a horse...it seems to get passed for more BB'er followed or magazine article blitz and bomb articles. I think of Platz and how much he just squatted and his huge odd looking legs.

I also think it is rather normal for (especially novices), to think the more they know about the inner workings of the cells, CNS and using all kinds of angles etc. etc. makes a big difference, but to get a thick strong base of big mass, it doesn't really form my experiences.

Also, measuring how uncomfortable one can stand to be, does not seem to be a part of the equation either, as it is too hard to measure, but I think the most elite athletes (after just being totally genetically gifted), are among the hardest working or most intense.

I would guess too that if the OP is 6'5" he is build more for pulling!?, so even doing a quad dominant type pull (like trap bar deads or a PGDL/DBs suitcase lift with a slight heel) will focus work on his quads, if that is what he is after. Leg pressing can work good too for taller guys.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In the end, we have spent 3 pages discussing this amongst ourselves and still don't know what the OP does to train and eat right now. Also, we have never heard back.

Fun discussion, though.

As far as calves, I used to work them 2x week and now for the last 5 years it is 4 days a week and it is the only thing that has grown them. I went from 15.5" to 18.5" and that took almost 20 years. They are a bitch to grow.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In the end, we have spent 3 pages discussing this amongst ourselves and still don't know what the OP does to train and eat right now. Also, we have never heard back.

Fun discussion, though.
isnt that always the case...

As far as calves, I used to work them 2x week and now for the last 5 years it is 4 days a week and it is the only thing that has grown them. I went from 15.5" to 18.5" and that took almost 20 years. They are a bitch to grow.
Same here - 2x a week does nothing.

I play mens senior baseball and I catch so much of my leg work is conditioning and functional as opposed to aesthetics. I would love the calf to bi ratio to be 1:1 but that will require considerable growth to my calves :(