Overtraining Mike Rashid!

G

gibbons2

Awards
I've been watching the Mike Rashid videos and he explains overtraining as a great way to build muscle and all the good stuff. I'm wondering what you guys thought about it, if it's good/bad etc.

J

JD261985

Banned
Awards
I've been watching the Mike Rashid videos and he explains overtraining as a great way to build muscle and all the good stuff. I'm wondering what you guys thought about it, if it's good/bad etc.
If you're eating enough calories and you start to feel entirely sluggish, aches/pains, loss of sex drive, strength decrease , overall decreased performance then I could not see overtraining as a good thing. Maybe he doesn't understand what overtraining actually means. Overtraining comes with a host of side effects and is probably rare to be honest

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
I do basically what they are saying most of my workouts....work up to a heavy weight then drop down & rep out...However this is NOT "over-training" and I think they are misusing the word in this video. Over-training is just that...training your body beyond it's recovery abilities. There are days when going for a 1 rep max just doesn't "feel" good so I back off. Listen to your body. BUT the times I do work up to a 1 rep max then rep out it is some of the best workouts I do!!

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You have to remember that he is apart of the MASSterplan mentality and program. He speaks more to the general public than anything else and uses common words people relate to and basically it sells lol. If you actually check out CT Fletcher and Mikes Pages not many people seem to agree with their total volume approach thus the idea "Overtraining". As with the symptoms described by JD these would be what to look out for and is a rare thing. Im no expert but use your own judgement your body wont steer you wrong.

Fav idea from them "Overtraining is individualized"

G

gibbons2

Awards
I agree. I think overtraining varies from person to person. it is different for everyone, but I think overtraining is when your body doesn't recover and you aren't eating enough nutritious food

J

JD261985

Banned
Awards
I agree. I think overtraining varies from person to person. it is different for everyone, but I think overtraining is when your body doesn't recover and you aren't eating enough nutritious food
Good way to sum it up

reps4jesus

reps4jesus

Awards
He looks at overtraining as training his butt off, an not spending 5 min in the gym. He's explained it before.

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
He looks at overtraining as training his butt off, an not spending 5 min in the gym. He's explained it before.
I understand that but I think the word "over-training" is a bad word to use. Someone new to training will get mixed messages because when MOST trainers use the word "over-training" it's a bad thing. Muscle Exhaustion might be a better term for what he is doing...

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, (their own definition might make it differ from person to person, or some lifters may have more room than others to reach that state) but, an actual overtrained state is systemic and probably effects the central nervous system and all the physical and emotional stresses that go along. At this point, glands/hormones/ throughout the body is compromised and as stated by one poster, there are other physical/mental effects besides simple plateauing and not making standard gains.
One can be totally out of room or plateau to gain on the BP, but have lots of room to gain in the squat or deadlift, so they are not actually in an overtrained state. Just perhaps under recovered or overreaching on a certain body part, to stay balanced with the rest of the body.
And this is pretty much my own opinion but, most of the true overtrained states, comes from the largest exercises like squats, deads, and other big full body exercises and using loads, volumes and frequencies in excess of the body's ability to keep recovering from the constant (perhaps longer term) beatings.

M

manup

Awards
He doesnt mean over training laterally he lights 2 go beyond limits I train sort of like that 2

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Overreaching, yes, but not overtraining. EVERYONE should program some form of overreaching into their training followed by appropriate deloads.
Yes this. The deload part is the hardest for people to grasp, but it has such a huge impact on growth and progress.