Need a bigger bench

tcdawg32

Awards
I consider myself a moderately experienced lifter, I have been lifting for 5 years and am relatively satisfied with most of the lifts for the time being. The main exception to this is my bench, my bench is terrible and has always been my weakest lift by far. So my goal for this summer is to increase my bench as much as possible. Currently my max is 260, and I can get 6 225 reps, my goal is to double those reps by August which would put my calculated 1rm around 320.

I haven't yet decided what my workouts are going to be so I am looking for suggestions of any plans that center around increasing the bench. I am not worried about increasing my other upper body lifts right now and want focus all of my upper body accessory work on helping my bench. In the past most of my workout plans have been football specific but I have also done 5/3/1 and did DeFranco's version of the westside system, both worked good but I really want something that can help my bench go up FAST.

Any suggestions or tips/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Film your bench and I'll break down your technique.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
One thing is to add some more body weight. Ive gone from 290 to 310 and my bench went up 10 lb

throneof

throneof

Awards
  • Established
Film your bench and I'll break down your technique.

Hey, bro. Would you mind breaking down my bench? I'm not achieving the same amount of depth/stretch on the right side as I am on the left. If you see the travel of the bar, it's never a linear smooth plane of motion. I've played guitar my whole life on the right side, and I'm sure this is the culprit for my issue. I do mash, stretch, etc, but the issue is not 100% corrected. Any pointers?

http://youtu.be/9t9BLXIP5_8

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I consider myself a moderately experienced lifter, I have been lifting for 5 years and am relatively satisfied with most of the lifts for the time being. The main exception to this is my bench, my bench is terrible and has always been my weakest lift by far. So my goal for this summer is to increase my bench as much as possible. Currently my max is 260, and I can get 6 225 reps, my goal is to double those reps by August which would put my calculated 1rm around 320.
Well, this may depend on your rep to singles ratio too!? Personally, if I want my single to go up, I do have to work in areas at or above 80%-85% of the 1RM.
I also feel the reg 531 template is not great for BP's as the volume and frequency is a bit low for my tastes. I feel one can BP 2-3 times per week (on say a HLM scale), but need to use manageable progressions to move the top single upwards. Going in week in and week out and doing failure sets, always stagnated my BP.
Increasing the intensity and dropping volume thru the weeks always worked pretty great for me...
Example thru the weeks...
70% 6x6 (volume)
75% 6x5 ... (6 sets of 5 reps)
80% 5x5 ...
85% 4x5 ...
87% 4x4 (intensity)
90% 3x3 ...
92% 2x2 ...
95% 2x2 ...
100% 1-2x2 ...
105% new PR

Using some assistance work for say triceps, shoulders, lats etc.
If you are 6'2" then taller longer armed guys have a harder time with BP, (since it is a longer stroke) and that can make a difference in workloads and or TUT.
10"-12" Rack lockouts or something too on 2nd day, can help get some strength moves in, but still a short enough move as to not totally zap all you pressing energy.
Lots of ways to program it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey, bro. Would you mind breaking down my bench? I'm not achieving the same amount of depth/stretch on the right side as I am on the left. If you see the travel of the bar, it's never a linear smooth plane of motion. I've played guitar my whole life on the right side, and I'm sure this is the culprit for my issue. I do mash, stretch, etc, but the issue is not 100% corrected. Any pointers? http://youtu.be/9t9BLXIP5_8
This looks like an issue somewhere in the RC. I wouldn't be surprised if the area is "locked" up and it's causing too much internal rotation in the area.

tcdawg32

Awards
Example thru the weeks... 70% 6x6 (volume) 75% 6x5 ... (6 sets of 5 reps) 80% 5x5 ... 85% 4x5 ... 87% 4x4 (intensity) 90% 3x3 ... 92% 2x2 ... 95% 2x2 ... 100% 1-2x2 ... 105% new PR
I am planning on benching twice a week so would you go 6x6 twice the first week or 6x6 first workout and 6x5 the second?

throneof

throneof

Awards
  • Established
This looks like an issue somewhere in the RC. I wouldn't be surprised if the area is "locked" up and it's causing too much internal rotation in the area.
Probably just have to be diligent with mashing huh?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am planning on benching twice a week so would you go 6x6 twice the first week or 6x6 first workout and 6x5 the second?
Try this for twice per week...
(Be honest with your self on your percentages of reg. anytime max. If you start to high, you will most likely gas out before you hit a higher peak)
Week 1 day 1...
70%x2
75%x2
80% 6x2 (6 sets of 2)

Day 2
70%x2
75%x2
80%6x3

Wk 2
Day 1
(same w/u's thru out)
80% 6x2

Day 2
80% 6x4

Wk 3
Day1
80% 6x2

Day 2 80% 6x5

Wk 4
Day1 80% 6x2

Day 2 80% 6x6 (volume highest here)

wk 5
80% 6x2

day 2
85%* 5x5 (upped the weight)

Wk 6
80% 6x2

day2
90%* 4x4

Wk 7
80-% 6x2

day 2
95%* 3x3

Wk 8
80% 6x2

Day 2
100%* 2x2

wk 9 80% 6x2

day 2 105%-107% 1x1 new PR

Keep the 80% 6x2 (6 sets of 2 reps) like a recovery day and to bump volume and work capacity
Along with doing your assistance and perhaps OHPs.

tcdawg32

Awards
Try this for twice per week... (Be honest with your self on your percentages of reg. anytime max. If you start to high, you will most likely gas out before you hit a higher peak)
appreciate the help, I think I'll give this a try.

JSNeves

JSNeves

Awards
Look up ed coans bench routine... it got me to my biggest bench and has worked for many others. Just make sure your getting sufficient upper back work in as well. Also extra body weight is a sure fire way to up your bench as has already been mentioned