Push ups

WontOutWorkMe

Awards
My pops has been a lifter his whole life. He recommends I do 200 push ups daily to gain some size on the chest. Question is.. Should i do push ups when my chest is sore from lifting?? I saw a video of a guy who recommended doing it. What do you guys think?

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Pushups are good for warming up. That's about it. If you have lots of upper body strength, pushups are kind of easy.

But 200 to start the day off would be okay. Or just 100. 100 Pushups, 100 Bodyweight squats, and 100 crunches. **** it.

Beefeater71

Beefeater71

Awards
Grab a weight vest (30kg). Good challenge, including incline, decline pushups. More challenging, but good for conditioning after intense chest workout.

ODoyle99

Awards
If you don't push it real hard it can function as an active recovery--or a warm up if done before chest workouts. I wouldn't start out doing 200 but it wouldn't be a bad idea to add some in

LiftingTins

Awards
One thing you might want to be conscience of is your hand positioning as well. If you have your hands closer together, it will hit your tricep, wide grip = chest. Hope that helps!

Warthog13

Awards
Pushups are good for warming up. That's about it. If you have lots of upper body strength, pushups are kind of easy.

But 200 to start the day off would be okay. Or just 100. 100 Pushups, 100 Bodyweight squats, and 100 crunches. **** it.
Maybe dips and pullups, too!

I do pushups and pullups in the morning (most mornings) and makes me feel ready to head off to the salt mines. Eventually, I'll add dips to the equation (or rotate with pushups).

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
Pushups can really blow up the chest. Underrated exercise IMHO. There is a guy at my gym that in constantly doing rapid, partial rep pushups. Huge pecs.

ChefJoey

ChefJoey

Awards

My roommate and I would get snowed in sometimes in college and do this.

100 push ups, 100 squats, 100 crunches.

Certainly passes some time and makes for a different workout.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Push-ups and body weight exercise are just overall good for the muscles and body ANDDD they can be done anywhere which is awesome

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Maybe dips and pullups, too!

I do pushups and pullups in the morning (most mornings) and makes me feel ready to head off to the salt mines. Eventually, I'll add dips to the equation (or rotate with pushups).
Yeah, that's the ticket.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My dad taught me the importance of bw work when I started lifting 20+ years ago and I credit that to never having an excuse to not get a good workout in. Pushups, dips, and pullups are a staple for me on days away from the gym.