What to do after starting strength?

Tbryant6220

Awards
Hello everyone my name is Taylor,

I am not a regular poster to these forums NOR am I a regular visitor, mostly I use anabolicminds to read the countless articles they send me every week. I am posting here as I felt it necessary to see what others would recommend doing after my first run of "Starting Strength". I have 2 years prior experience lifting and decided to run this program to get as much out of linear progression as I possibly can. One big problem I have is what to do afterwards? I am aiming to achieve a good looking physique by next summer and I am skipping cutting this year to make it happen.

My current stats are 6'1" and 188 lbs after the first month. I want to achieve a muscular look and am not afraid of fat or muscle gain. I will not be using any illegal or banned substances so I'm more than certain I won't get too bulky. I'm assuming that I will run starting strength for around 4-6 months ending it around July-September.

Would it be better to run a program more solely focused on mass or strength afterwards to reach my goal more easily?

My current idea is to do bill Starr's 5x5 and continue with the strength gains until sometime in January and to cut for summer.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wouldn't put a cap on your run of Starting Strength, rather, ride the linear progression wave until it grinds to a halt. After that, 5/3/1 is an excellent choice for an intermediate program, as you can tailor the assistance to your goals.

Tbryant6220

Awards
Yes I shouldn't put a cap on it, I was just giving an estimation to further plan the next year or so. So with your suggestion I should continue to follow a strength program afterwards?

When would it be necessary to add in a higher volume program such as HST or a bodybuilding type routine?

Also when I'm nearing spring of next year what would be a good program to follow to minimize strength lose while cutting fat? I will follow a cutting diet but everytime I cut calories I lose my overall strength

Tbryant6220

Awards
Also will using a strength routine over a bodybuilding/mass routine have any significant outcomes in my physique come summer time?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm biased toward strength training because it's what I do, but I don't think it will make a huge difference in your physique when you're already in need of more mass. Just use the Boring But Big template on 5/3/1 and you'll get hypertrophy. Also, the best way to not lose strength on a cut is to cut very slowly and realize that having less bodyweight is going to make your numbers go down.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hello everyone my name is Taylor,

I am not a regular poster to these forums NOR am I a regular visitor, mostly I use anabolicminds to read the countless articles they send me every week. I am posting here as I felt it necessary to see what others would recommend doing after my first run of "Starting Strength". I have 2 years prior experience lifting and decided to run this program to get as much out of linear progression as I possibly can. One big problem I have is what to do afterwards? I am aiming to achieve a good looking physique by next summer and I am skipping cutting this year to make it happen.

My current stats are 6'1" and 188 lbs after the first month. I want to achieve a muscular look and am not afraid of fat or muscle gain. I will not be using any illegal or banned substances so I'm more than certain I won't get too bulky. I'm assuming that I will run starting strength for around 4-6 months ending it around July-September.

Would it be better to run a program more solely focused on mass or strength afterwards to reach my goal more easily?

My current idea is to do bill Starr's 5x5 and continue with the strength gains until sometime in January and to cut for summer.

Starting Strength has forums. They do tend to be a little "holier than thou" over there though they do know what they are talking about. Just google and you will find the forums.