Squats Really Hurt my Traps

Thatguy0101

Awards
It's really annoying me now. I can't squat as the pain is really uncomfortable with the bar resting on my traps. Even with a cushion thing on the bar it still hurts. My traps are big and well developed, probably the best developed muscle on my body so they not weak but it hurts with the bars resting on them. What can I do?

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How much weight are you using?

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Does it hurt your traps or shoulders? High bar squatting high weight isn't fun for everyone

Thatguy0101

Awards
Tried using a very low weight. 25KG each side just so I can get the form right before doing any heavy stuff.. Only just started trying squats, usually stick to deadlifts but want to add squats, but just 25KG each side hurt a fair bit even though it felt light as a feather.

EDIT: And in reply to other post, it's my traps that hurt, shoulders feel fine.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
YouTube so you think you can squat and watch all the videos

jball63

Awards
It's really annoying me now. I can't squat as the pain is really uncomfortable with the bar resting on my traps. Even with a cushion thing on the bar it still hurts. My traps are big and well developed, probably the best developed muscle on my body so they not weak but it hurts with the bars resting on them. What can I do?
Switch to low bar squatting! Bar is resting mid scapula

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
For high bar squats, I find the traps are most comfortable when my hads are as close as possible (pinky/ring finger on inside ring) so that everything's flexed up.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So, did this just start happening, or did you just only start to squat or what?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
can you get someone to take a pic of your squat from behind.

Tbryant6220

Awards
Why not give low bar squatting a shot and see if that makes it feel better, or front squats

johnny411

johnny411

Awards
I rest the bar just below my traps works for me, also it used to hurt but those muscles are now conditioned doesnt hurt no more, your not lifting the weight with your traps, just resting the weight their aint gonna hurt anything unless your pushing the bar on one of your vertibraes or something, just push through, your pain should be temporary

JSNeves

JSNeves

Awards
Just tough it out for a bit, you will get used to it!

Not a bad idea to make sure your form is solid, but that is likely not the cause of the pain unless you have the bar all the up at the base of your neck. I've helped many people start squatting, and all complained for the first few sessions. Hell I had to walk away from the weights for a couple months and 135 was a bit painful when I first came back, and I was squatting over twice that in the fall with zero discomfort.

Just tough it out

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Make sure your upper back is tight. Scaps pinched together, lats locked down, hands close to your shoulders, and elbows pulled under the bar. You say you have the shelf, make the shelf solid and you'll be fine. Just keep working it.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Despite the tampon being a ridiculous suggestion in the first place, OP said he already tried it.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
You can try Manta Ray/Sting Ray, google Squat Sting Ray

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
I didn't read back to see if someone suggested it, but grow bigger traps. And squat more often. I squat so often I have callouses on my back from the bar.