Who uses full body workouts?

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
Anyone?

How are the gains compared to standard splits?

I am growing tired of the same old 4-5 day split, and feel that frequency is simply too low now. I have a friend who has been utilizing full body for the past few months and has seen fantastic results, just wondering if anyone else here has/does successfully use them

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have over the years on and off

Day 1
Deads (more emphasis)
Push Press (medium or higher rep work)
Rows
(arm or grip or abs)

Day 2 off

Day3
BP's (hard)
Squats (medium hard since I DL hard Monday)
Pull Dwns
(arm or grip or abs)

Day 4 off

Day 5
Same as Day 1 (but more emphasis on "Press " since I hit the deads harder on day 1 or would the speed work on the easy exercise say)

Day6 off
Day 7 off

Day 1
Squats (hard)
BP's (med)
Chins

Or something along those lines always hitting the main big lifts, starting within your abilities and adding weight weekly on the 2-4 main compound lifts. Did something like this with a few 20 rep squat cycles too. Woo hooo...! fun stuff
When I did a *Smolovesque dead routine a few years back, I started it hitting the stuff 2-3x per week depending on exercise.
Usually hit the entire body 2+x per
Worked quite well and certainly increased my work capacity and appetite as I think I gained a few pounds doing this (going from #230 to #240 at the time) , as at first I was used to splitting the leg/hips stuff and upper body shoulder/chest.

On the S-----v Mark II it was, first you take a few weeks and work up to you average 1RM, take a back off week, then take 70%-75% of that and start the 3 sets of x9...

*week...
1 3x9 (3 sets of 9)
add weight
Wk 2 4x7
add weight
Wk 3 5x5
add weight
Wk 4 6x3
Following week or weeks...
Work to 95% x2's and up to your max singles 100%- 103% maybe

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
I have over the years on and off

Day 1
Deads (more emphasis)
Push Press (medium or higher rep work)
Rows
(arm or grip or abs)

Day 2 off

Day3
BP's (hard)
Squats (medium hard since I DL hard Monday)
Pull Dwns
(arm or grip or abs)

Day 4 off

Day 5
Same as Day 1 (but more emphasis on "Press " since I hit the deads harder on day 1 or would the speed work on the easy exercise say)

Day6 off
Day 7 off

Day 1
Squats (hard)
BP's (med)
Chins

Or something along those lines always hitting the main big lifts. Did something like this with a few 20 rep squat cycles too.
When I did a *Smolovesque dead routine a few years back, I started it hitting the stuff 2-3x per week depending on exercise.
Usually hit the entire body 2+x per
Worked quite well and certainly increased my work capacity and appetite as I think I gained a few pounds doing this (going from #230 to #240 at the time) , as at first I was used to splitting the leg/hips stuff and upper body shoulder/chest.

First you take a few weeks and work up to you average 1RM, then take 70%-75% of that and start the 3 sets of x9

*week...
1 3x9 (3 sets of 9)
add weight
Wk 2 4x7
add weight
Wk 3 5x5
add weight
Wk 4 6x3
Following week or weeks...
Work to 95% x2's and up to your max singles 100%- 103% maybe
Thanks for the input.

I am thinking of implementing a 4 day split that, while not full body, will provide more frequency. Something like:

Mon - Chest, shoulders, tris
Tue- Legs, back, bis
Wed-Off (cardio and abs)
Thu- Chest, shoulders, tris
Fri- Legs, back, bis
Sat-off (cardio maybe)
Sun- off

The first two workouts of the week will be heavier, lower volume. The second two days will be higher volume, smaller rest periods. Also I will switch the exercises a bit. For instance, maybe on the first two days I do primarily barbells, and the second two days is more focused on dumbbells and machines.

I use to do something similar to this when I was younger and got pretty good results, but eventually I moved to a five day split and have been doing pretty much the same thing for four years now lol. Time to innovate.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tue- Legs, back, bis
Wed-Off (cardio and abs)
Fri- Legs, back, bis
Sat-off (cardio maybe)
Sun- off

The first two workouts of the week will be heavier, lower volume. The second two days will be higher volume, smaller rest periods. Also I will switch the exercises a bit. For instance, maybe on the first two days I do primarily barbells, and the second two days is more focused on dumbbells and machines.

I use to do something similar to this when I was younger and got pretty good results, but eventually I moved to a five day split and have been doing pretty much the same thing for four years now lol. Time to innovate.
Yeah, I have done something quite similar to that and also Wendler's Triumvirate, is kinda like that. Based more on PL stuff/lifts, but it works well IMO. Where the 2 leg days alternate between deads/scapular pulling and squatting.
The thing to remember when switching exercises and volume is to be able to "track the progress" ie: adding weight/reps to bar, otherwise one goes in and just lifts hard, but it is hard to detect where you are heading or if you progress is really more linear. I always picked the 3-5 lifts and then any added assistance did the higher volume and or switching.
But that is just me. Your goals may vary and allow different approaches.

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
Yeah, I have done something quite similar to that and also Wendler's Triumvirate, is kinda like that. Based more on PL stuff/lifts, but it works well IMO. Where the 2 leg days alternate between deads/scapular pulling and squatting.
The thing to remember when switching exercises and volume is to be able to "track the progress" ie: adding weight/reps to bar, otherwise one goes in and just lifts hard, but it is hard to detect where you are heading or if you progress is really more linear. I always picked the 3-5 lifts and then any added assistance did the higher volume and or switching.
But that is just me. Your goals may vary and allow different approaches.
I agree completely on the point of tracking progress. I plan on keeping a log.

My goals are primarily slow lean gains and fat loss. This is not a gotta get ripped or big quick type plan, rather one for the long haul.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the input.

I am thinking of implementing a 4 day split that, while not full body, will provide more frequency. Something like:

Tue- Legs, back, bis
Wed-Off (cardio and abs)
Fri- Legs, back, bis
Sat-off (cardio maybe)
Sun- off

It is a take on PHAT, which has always been pretty popular. Over the years, I have come down to 3-4 routines that I move between depending on my mental state and physical need.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
If u wanna try full body, just do 5x5 madcow style. You're not gonna want to go more than 3 times a week when u start squatting every day

Unless you're already really strong in the barbell movements. If that's the case, nvm

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
If u wanna try full body, just do 5x5 madcow style. You're not gonna want to go more than 3 times a week when u start squatting every day

Unless you're already really strong in the barbell movements. If that's the case, nvm
I'm pretty strong with da bell lol. Deadline 565, bench 365, squat is only 405 max :( but I tore both my meniscus several years back. When I was on gear over a year ago, those numbers were much more impressive lol. Butttttt...I'm done with the drugs.

Although, I feel like the plan I outlined above may suit me better. Still allows for focus on individual parts twice a week.

jball63

Awards
I'm pretty strong with da bell lol. Deadline 565, bench 365, squat is only 405 max :( but I tore both my meniscus several years back. When I was on gear over a year ago, those numbers were much more impressive lol. Butttttt...I'm done with the drugs.

Although, I feel like the plan I outlined above may suit me better. Still allows for focus on individual parts twice a week.
Some good numbers on your lifts. Trying to get on that level some day, but without the gear

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
Some good numbers on your lifts. Trying to get on that level some day, but without the gear
Thanks. Yea I haven't been on a cycle in over a year so where I'm at now (those numbers) are natural again. Doing steroids was fun lol...but it's not healthy and I just feel better off them permanently. Except for the insane 24/7 boners...those felt good lol.

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
Those are great numbers, but you don't need any gear for that.
Exactly. Now, when my numbers were more like 405 x 5 on bench and 565 x 8 on deads, I don't think I'll be able to hit those numbers again naturally...at least not if I want to stay lean and not get fat and strong lol.

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
That is a ridiculous bench!
Yea, when I was around 218, juiced and bloated, I was strong as **** lol! I mean, I've always been pretty strong, I don't think that 365 on bench at 198 is horrible, but obviously it pales in comparison to my lifts when I was heavier.

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
It is a take on PHAT, which has always been pretty popular. Over the years, I have come down to 3-4 routines that I move between depending on my mental state and physical need.
Man, I did legs, back and bis today, heavy, and holy **** lol. I did deads, leg press, calf raises, wg pull ups, bent over rows, seated close grip rows, straight bar curls, then supersetted machine preachers with alternating hammer curls....then supersetted reveres curls with high rep wrist curls. I am so spent. Too much lol.

I think that I will change the layout to:

Mon, Thur - Chest shoulders tris
Wed - Legs
Tue, Fri - Back and bis

It always takes me several days to fully recover from doing heavy legs, and tbh I have pretty thick upper legs as it is lol (not that bigger wouldn't be better ;)).

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, nothing that any sleeping aids have on a good back or leg workout. I always feel so accomplished after that.

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
Yeah, nothing that any sleeping aids have on a good back or leg workout. I always feel so accomplished after that.
For real lol! I am so damn sleepy. Which is making writing this MASSIVE research paper (roughly 10,000 words) a real pain in the ass haha.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ha! I plan my day around a 15-20 min power nap. If I know it can't happen, I switch days.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm currently reworking my program, but I typically do full body workouts twice a week. I love barbells and complex, functional movements. I now do them with high volume, and it's great for gains. I used to follow HST years back, then I was powerlifting (starting strength and then 5/3/1 w/periodization method), but now I've switched back to more of an HST type workout.

I stick to barbell only for my main lifts, and then use ancillary exercises for lagging body parts only.

johnny411

johnny411

Awards
Yes there definetly is a place for full body workouts, my experience is working up to them, starting with mabee 2 muscle groups workout being 30 min 3 times a week, working upto 5 times a week 5 groups for 2 hrs at a time, Ive only lifted bench 245, squat 315 but ive had sparing partners in mma that could bench over 500 and been competitive, and mma is a great full body workout youll be sore in in every crevis of your body, great for conditioning and sports

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Full body workouts can be extremely useful if you're trying to recover from strains or slight pains because you only lift once a week (depending on the program) HIT can be very beneficial with these workouts

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
Full body workouts can be extremely useful if you're trying to recover from strains or slight pains because you only lift once a week (depending on the program) HIT can be very beneficial with these workouts
Ye I could definitely see that. When I get sick or injured, I usually just do 2 light full body routines the week I come back.