My Unconventional Routine

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So I've been doing this routine that follows for about 10 months with a few changes to exercise selection, progression, etc. I just wanted to get some input to see what others think. Due to my current life circumstance, I can only work out twice a week, nor do I go to a gym. So, here goes. Also, the Monday workout I do at work in a warehouse With equipment I've assembled and use the forklift for dips and pull ups. The Friday workout consists of stuff from when I was training for a strongman competition.

Monday
Weighted dips 4-6 sets
Pull ups 4-6 sets
Upright rows 3 sets
BB Curls 3 sets
Planks 2 sets

Friday
Log clean and press 5 sets
Tire flips 3 sets
"Farmers" deadlifts 4 sets
Farmers walks 2 sets
Log rows 5 sets
Standing 1 arm DB press 2 sets
Log curls 3 sets

I just added in the dumbbell press to the 2nd workout for the first time because my log clean and press has been continuously losing strength each week... Not much, but enough to concern me. Sometimes the dips leave my front delts sore until Friday and it negatively effects the Friday workout. Everything else I'm steadily progressing nicely. Also, fwiw, I'm cutting at the moment.
I have a barbell and bumper plates, but I haven't pulled them out of storage yet. Haven't figured out where I'm gonna keep it in between workouts.

Any thoughts?

JCarney

JCarney

Awards
So I've been doing this routine that follows for about 10 months with a few changes to exercise selection, progression, etc. I just wanted to get some input to see what others think. Due to my current life circumstance, I can only work out twice a week, nor do I go to a gym. So, here goes. Also, the Monday workout I do at work in a warehouse With equipment I've assembled and use the forklift for dips and pull ups. The Friday workout consists of stuff from when I was training for a strongman competition.

Monday
Weighted dips 4-6 sets
Pull ups 4-6 sets
Upright rows 3 sets
BB Curls 3 sets
Planks 2 sets

Friday
Tire flips 3 sets
Farmers walks 2 sets
Log rows 5 sets
Log curls 3 sets

I just added in the dumbbell press to the 2nd workout for the first time because my log clean and press has been continuously losing strength each week... Not much, but enough to concern me. Sometimes the dips leave my front delts sore until Friday and it negatively effects the Friday workout. Everything else I'm steadily progressing nicely. Also, fwiw, I'm cutting at the moment.
I have a barbell and bumper plates, but I haven't pulled them out of storage yet. Haven't figured out where I'm gonna keep it in between workouts.

Any thoughts?
Two days doesn't seem like enough to me. Besides strength going down, have you noticed any other progress/declines?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yep; everything else is going up nicely. And I agree, I'd prefer 3 days a week. That's my sweet spot but due to current circumferences, can't at this moment.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Sounds like a good "Prison" style work out :)

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Monday
Weighted dips 4-6 sets
Pull ups 4-6 sets
Upright rows 3 sets
BB Curls 3 sets
Planks 2 sets

Friday
Tire flips 3 sets
Farmers walks 2 sets
Log rows 5 sets
Log curls 3 sets

Any thoughts?
If you are cutting, that may explain the strength loss in the presses, since most people push those exercises harder or more to peak than say lat or leg/hip work. (ie: more room there usually.)

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you are cutting, that may explain the strength loss in the presses, since most people push those exercises harder or more to peak than say lat or leg/hip work. (ie: more room there usually.)
Do you mean like if working near failure on some exercises and not others?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you mean like if working near failure on some exercises and not others?
In a way yes, but it seems to take more from trainees benching and pressing, than say rowing. Chins might be a different story, since guys seem to peak out doing chins to failure.
From my experiences most trainees hit the wall first on BP's or OHP's before say squats, deads etc.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
In a way yes, but it seems to take more from trainees benching and pressing, than say rowing. Chins might be a different story, since guys seem to peak out doing chins to failure.
From my experiences most trainees hit the wall first on BP's or OHP's before say squats, deads etc.
Gotcha. Thanks. Any thoughts or critiques on exercise order on the Friday workout?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't disrespect your legs. They see all this work you are trying to put in for everything else and they are feeling left out. Could be why they may not want to help out in your C+P anymore. If you have a log for that and DBs, then you can do makeshift fr squats (I say front because it likely isn't heavy enough for adequate back), walking lunges, split squats, etc.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Don't disrespect your legs. They see all this work you are trying to put in for everything else and they are feeling left out. Could be why they may not want to help out in your C+P anymore. If you have a log for that and DBs, then you can do makeshift fr squats (I say front because it likely isn't heavy enough for adequate back), walking lunges, split squats, etc.
If I were to add front squats with the log, where would I place it on the Friday workout?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gotcha. Thanks. Any thoughts or critiques on exercise order on the Friday workout

Monday
Weighted dips 4-6 sets
Pull ups 4-6 sets
Upright rows 3 sets
BB Curls 3 sets
Planks 2 sets

Friday
Tire flips 3 sets
Farmers walks 2 sets
Log rows 5 sets
Log curls 3 sets
Well, just off hand, it looks to me like Friday's work/sessions are tougher and uses more of the entire body (especially hips/legs) than say Monday. ie: you have tire flips (are you going deep to use entire hips and quads etc. to squat the tire up?) then you also have a clean and press (which is certainly more full body) farmer walks and farmer deads in the same session, along with rows a large back exercise and then some more standing pressing.
Whereas Monday is mostly upper and I am going to guess the dips and pull ups are going to be the biggies.
I might try to even a bit more of the hip and leg work onto some Mondays as well!? But that is just me.
Maybe put some farmers deads or the clean and presses in on Monday or a bending exercise (suitcase parallel grip deadlift maybe), on Monday, and nix one of the farmers or one or so of the fuller body work on Friday!?
This way IMO, you get more frequency on the whole body ie: hips/legs and hit the large mass of it 2x per week.
I also think the simpler you keep it and the less overall exercises, the more apt one is to stay focused and work harder on just the handful of stuff.

Of course you can alternate the intensity of each session hitting the dips hard one week and medium on the deads then say Friday hit the bending work harder and the upper mediumish.
Just sayin'
It is of course what you get your head into and around and what your bottom line goals are!???

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Right at the beginning.

Fr Squats
db split squats

Do you have a box of any sort that you could do step ups on? You could incorporate DB and the log. You could also take the DB (don't know the weight of yours) and work in explosiveness with a take on the kettlebell swing. This will work your core, glutes, hams, quads, and delts. All of which will assist in that lagging clean.

Or try to find a way to add in a 30min to another day. Surely that is possible somewhere.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Sadly I can't change much of the workout on Monday since it's literally using stuff at work such as a 70ish lb piece of metal for upright rows and curls. I'll work on trying to find something I can use to squat with or something in the warehouse.

I also really do need to add a 3rd day somehow Too but haven't figured that part out yet. If I did add a 3rd day though on Wednesday, perhaps that could be used for power cleans and deadlifts To free up Fridays workload a little.

Its been a long time since I did dumbbell snatches or swings.... I should add those back in.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Changed up my routine, moved a couple exercises around and added a third day. Still working out outback so exercise selection is a little limited.

Monday
Weighted Dips 4 sets
Pullups 4 sets
Weighted Pushups 2 sets
Horizontal Pullups 2 sets
Hanging Leg Lifts 3 sets

Wednesday
BB Deadlifts 5x5
Clean Pulls or Tire Flips 4 sets
Farmers Walks 4 sets

Friday
Log Clean and Press 5x5
1 Arm Standing Overhead DB Press 4 sets
Upright Rows 4 sets
Log Rows 3 sets
Bentover Lateral Raises 3 sets
BB Curls 3 sets

When I get the chance to start going to a gym again, I'll be adding squats to the Monday workout. But otherwise, anyone have any thoughts?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When you say outback, you mean like the aussie outback or what? Do you have time to get to a gym for a normal routine or will this be your way of life for awhile? Just asking because I have ideas.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
When you say outback, you mean like the aussie outback or what? Do you have time to get to a gym for a normal routine or will this be your way of life for awhile? Just asking because I have ideas.
Lol I literally mean out back of my house where I have a bunch of strongman equipment (log, tire, kegs, atlas stone, farmers handles and a barbell with a couple dumbbells). For the next 2 or 3 months it'll be like this at least. I'm game for suggestions!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
LOL!! I never know because people are from all over on this board.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Lol gotcha.
What did you have in mind for ideas?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
for advice on 2 day workouts look up dan john and pavel tsotsouline. they write a lot of workouts and articles with 2 days a week.