Leaning out but keeping muscle

smithscott

Awards
Hello all,

I'm a 41 year old male, 6'2, 218lbs. I'm looking to lean out a bit and keep muscle. I was hoping someone here can offer some advice or point me in the direction of a workout/diet plan for this.

Also how often/long should I be doing cardio.

Thanks in advance and forgive me if my question is a bit basic; I'm looking to learn.

jbingham

Awards
I'd take a look into Intermittent Fasting. It's a system I've used and love. Search for LeanGains Guide and or rippedbody.jp Both are excellent starting guides. You don't need cardio, you need a caloric deficit in your diet. If you're 300-500 calories per day below maintenance levels, you'll start to lose weight. Stay high in protein in to protect the muscles you do have. Intermittent Fasting... I swear by it. Went from 15% BF to about 10.5% in 45 days and didn't lose any muscle.

smithscott

Awards
Thanks JBingham...makes sense, I'll look into it.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm looking to lean out a bit and keep muscle. .

Nearly everything I have heard on the subject (and doing it naturally) is to lose the weight slowly and over some time.
That way you can keep more lean tissue and let your body use the fat stores more efficiently.
Maybe try for #1-#2 a week. Just slowly adjust your diet and eat a little less each week.
The more defined you get too, the more muscular you will appear, even if your measurements are a bit smaller.
A cut 15" arm will look bigger than a smooth 17" one.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yep, slow and steady wins this race. Eat at a small, small defecit and keep working out hard. As for cardio, look into HIIT to blast some fat

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
start with LISS or HIIT. Do one for like 3x 20-30mins a day up to 4-6 days a week. when weight loss stalls, switch cardio types

smithscott

Awards
Love the info everyone, much appreciated.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
HIIT has been shown to be superior for overall fat lose and muscle sparing....LISS has been shown to have negative impact on overall muscle

make sure to keep lifting heavy, what i like doing is 2-3 sets between 8-15 reps and 1 set not paying attention to reps but go as heavy as possible, usually between 3-5 reps

I'm also a huge fan of something like Compete or Bcaa's during training especially when on a calorie deficit

jbingham

Awards
I'm also a huge fan of something like Compete or Bcaa's during training especially when on a calorie deficit
This! If you're going to be in a caloric deficit, BCAA's will help if taken before and after training to keep your muscles with a steady supply of fuel even if you're cutting!

Logey1111

Logey1111

Awards
Does anyone else find it impossible to control their appetite when doing HIIT? I lift very intensely 6 days a week and tried incorporating HIIT to ramp up fat loss and literally could not control myself. I gained 5lbs in two weeks while doing HIIT. Also while doing HIIT I could smell ammonia in my nose and from researching it found out that means I was burning amino acids and that is taking in 250grams of carbs per day. I stick with a light walk post workout and have dropped 30lbs and 5 inches off my waist in 4 months while maintaining strength.

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
Does anyone else find it impossible to control their appetite when doing HIIT? I lift very intensely 6 days a week and tried incorporating HIIT to ramp up fat loss and literally could not control myself. I gained 5lbs in two weeks while doing HIIT. Also while doing HIIT I could smell ammonia in my nose and from researching it found out that means I was burning amino acids and that is taking in 250grams of carbs per day. I stick with a light walk post workout and have dropped 30lbs and 5 inches off my waist in 4 months while maintaining strength.
Take out a lifting day and put in HIIT....What are your macro ratios? Don't forget muscle weighs more than fat so you might have gained muscle mass and weighed more...

Logey1111

Logey1111

Awards
Take out a lifting day and put in HIIT....What are your macro ratios? Don't forget muscle weighs more than fat so you might have gained muscle mass and weighed more...
currently I take in 75-190 fat 150-250 carbs 175-250 protein. I cycle them depending on the intensity of my workout and have found that works beat for me. I did consider the lean mass gain but 5lbs in 2 weeks? Also, what do you think about the ammonia smell? I got it pretty consistently after doing HIIT. My appetite increased dramatically as well. I would love to incorporate HIIT for the increased fat loss. Any tips?

Logey1111

Logey1111

Awards
currently I take in 75-190 fat 150-250 carbs 175-250 protein. I cycle them depending on the intensity of my workout and have found that works beat for me. I did consider the lean mass gain but 5lbs in 2 weeks? Also, what do you think about the ammonia smell? I got it pretty consistently after doing HIIT. My appetite increased dramatically as well. I would love to incorporate HIIT for the increased fat loss. Any tips?
sorry 100g of fat not 190 hah

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
Others may have better advice but when I'm cutting I try to keep my macros at 50/30/20....protein/carbs/fat....but I tend to be more sensitive to carbs. When I eat over 350g I soften up big time. I'm also lactose intolerant so no dairy for me...which made a big difference for me in cutting. I'm 47 years old so trying to stay ahead of my metabolism slowing down! LOL

As for the "ammonia" smell I really don't know...maybe others can offer some ideas? For HIIT I have a couple "go to" exercises & I want to try some new stuff starting this week. But during the winter I put the treadmill on about a 3% incline & speed about 5mph and speed walk (no running) for a 1/4 mile...then I jump off & do as many pushups as I can...rest for 1 minute then repeat....I do about 4-6 sets and I'm spent! In the warmer months I try to go to a high school track & I sprint the 100m straight away then drop for as many pushups as I can do then walk the curve & repeat at the back straight away...I do 8-10 sets of these and then run the bleachers for about 15 minutes....

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
HIIT sometimes has the opposite effect on me, especially during the warmer weather....leaving the gym barely able to breath in the hot weather leaves it hard to eat right after sometimes

But i always do have either compete or bcaa's with me and i'm still able to drink a protein shake post workout, especially an isolate like Isotean that tends to be lighter than a lot of other whey shakes

tallman69

Awards
These are some excellent tips guys, i see a lot of people recommending HIIT for cardio but what if you're not able to do hiit due to injury is steady state cardio going to get the job done? Just wondering