Injured- Keep Bulking or Start Cutting????

LB_Patriot

Awards
I have some nagging lingering injuries I cant and won't fight anymore. I've been bulking for a few months now and was planning on continuing until around May 1st but in light of reducing the frequency, weight load, and intensity of upper body workouts I was thinking about starting to cut now.

The question is whether I should continue to bulk or start cutting?

I'm thinking that If I keep a calorie surplus im going to to just add fat since I'm not creating protein synthesis and muscle breakdown stimulating repair by not training my upper body. On the other hand if I start to cut and do cardio/HIIT without weight training I could lose a lot of muscle. Kind of Mind ****ed right now cause my injuries are depressing the **** out of me, and holding me back from training. BTW, I'm on Doctor Prescribed TRT 100mg CYP E5D but no other Gear.

Thanks.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Numero uno: get healthy above all else. See a doctor, chiropractor, PT, whatever it takes. That's your best bet, to get back on the horse ASAP.

Number 2: why not eat at maintenance? Don't add fat or lose muscle. In an injury situation, the best you can hope for is to tread water. You may have to adjust your calories for inactivity.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What Herder^ said
I am guessing shoulders, since you mention almost exclusively upper body!?
Why not also take this time devoting work to lower body stuff and thus keeping the system tuned for growth etc.?

JSNeves

JSNeves

Awards
I vote for eating at maintainence and try to get things healthy... I was in the same situation and cut too quick and lost a lot in the process!

LB_Patriot

Awards
Numero uno: get healthy above all else. See a doctor, chiropractor, PT, whatever it takes. That's your best bet, to get back on the horse ASAP.

Number 2: why not eat at maintenance? Don't add fat or lose muscle. In an injury situation, the best you can hope for is to tread water. You may have to adjust your calories for inactivity.

Yea, good call, may just go maintnence for a month and then cut officially. My workout buddy thinks that the pain can also be contributed from water retention from bulking (eating surplus),Test Cyp (TRT), and Creatine which is causing more rubbing and in turn inflaming the muscle and tendon. I didnt train for a couple days and the days off my shoulders were tight and painful. After leg day today they feel ok, still got some inflammation but not too bad. I dont wanna completely back off from weight training because that will surely hinder repair due to lack of blood flow but I also dont wanna further injure the muscles and tendons. I go to PT and get ART, Graston Technique, Shockwave therapy and some traditional PT to help break up scar tissue and increase ROM (my rom is ****ed right now).

Was thinking of cutting out the Creatine to reduce the water retention and rubbing. And increasing cardio from 0-1 days per week to 2 (HIIT). Should I take a fat burner with it or wait until I officially cut?

Thanks for the input

Mystere3

Awards
You could try to figure out what sort of lifts hurt your shoulders; if the pain is impingement related there are options to find alternative exercises that won't hurt them.

LB_Patriot

Awards
You could try to figure out what sort of lifts hurt your shoulders; if the pain is impingement related there are options to find alternative exercises that won't hurt them.

Coo. It's without a doubt partial impingement. Also tendonosis/itus. The pain is primarily in the rear delt, infra/supra and teres

Mystere3

Awards
A lot of people have success with using dumbbells or a smith machine rather than a barbell. Also close grip is better for your shoulders than wide if you were to use a barbell.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you're retaining water, your joints are about as happy as they can be. Once you shed fat and water, they'll really be in hell.

LB_Patriot

Awards
If you're retaining water, your joints are about as happy as they can be. Once you shed fat and water, they'll really be in hell.
Yes thats true but also if theres too much water in one space it will cause impingement and then in turn inflammation.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I dont wanna completely back off from weight training...
Well, you don't really have to IMO. Don't see it as if you would have to take a few weeks or so off, you will lose everything. It doesn't work that way really. And worse case scenario is, if you did lose some it comes back much easier than it took to gain it in the first place.
Personally, I have never met many lifters who have not gone thru periods of shoulder aches/pains and have had to take some differing approach for a little while.The longer you play the game the more apt you will hit roadblocks. Learning to navigate them is the real key.
It may also be a time to get another area up in strength and mass.
If I would have never injured my cuff BPing, I would most likely have never discovered how great deadlifting & squatting has been and done for my overall mass and strength.
Just saying not to look at it from a bad point, but a new angle.