Training program for a 45 year old

Looseunitwa

Looseunitwa

Awards
Hi champs
Need a good solid work out program to build good solid muscle with good recovery time.
I am 46 years old. 85 kilos.
I've been lifting for a few years now and hit a plateau.
Past month been training basically one body part each day for 5 sets of 4 exercises.
Just getting too sore and I now know just have over trained.
Any suggestions and/or lead me in the right direction.

Cheers

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Try this:

1) Upper-Vertical press and involved muscles (shoulder or chest, back, bi/tri)
2) Lower-Deadlift, hams, quads
3) Upper-Horizontal press
4) Lower- Squat variant

or a 3-Day:

Week 1
1) Vertical press
2) Deadlift
3) Horizontal press
Week 2
1) Squat
2) Pressing movement
3) Deadlift
Week 3 rotate again

Both provide plenty of recovery time and an emphasis on movements and effective muscle groups. Take your main movements, and then train the muscles that are involved with those.

Example:
Bench press
Cable Row
Tricep exercise
Facepulls or rear delt exercise

Deadlift
Good mornings
Lunges

Vary your intensity and volume of each lift how you deem it fit. Others here will chime in with their great ideas too.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like Sean's recommendations ^.

A few things since you are 46...
Have you been doing on a reg basis the big leg moves like squats, deads etc.? (do not be embarrassed to say either way, since at 46 yo, you might want to try a pgdl (parallel grip deadlift like suitcase lift, at first anyway) to get more used to that fuller body hip, low back and leg work.

Question when you say too sore!?, is that DOMS as in muscle soreness, or joint aches?
If it is muscle/DOMS, lighter moves in the same exercise on other days thru the week can help recovery.
For instance, if I squat heavy every other week, I will at times be sorer, than if I squat more frequently and ease into heavier work thru that cycle. Ending up getting in more volume and the same or even higher loads in that cycle.
It can work like a callous, or a blister. Ease in to get the callous, as too much at once can give you a blister.
As far as joint aches, sometimes less is more. For me at 55, I go by feel at times or taking a little more time to grease my joints with lighter moves, fish oil etc.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sean has a good layout posted. Age does not matter, you need to make certain to keep and concentrate on compound movements.

compudog

compudog

Awards
At your age, height, and weight, I would say you probably need to train for strength rather than size. So to reiterate what's already been said, you'll probably want to stick to the basic compound movements as the core of your routine; deadlift, squat, bench press & overhead press. The schedule Sean posted would probably work well for you, 3 days a week, MWF should give you ample recovery time.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Why would you say that he should train for strength and not size?

Looseunitwa

Looseunitwa

Awards
Try this:

4) Lower- Squat variant

or a 3-Day:

Week 1
1) Vertical press
2) Deadlift
3) Horizontal press
Week 2
1) Squat
2) Pressing movement
3) Deadlift
Week 3 rotate again

Both provide plenty of recovery time and an emphasis on movements and effective muscle groups. Take your main movements, and then train the muscles that are involved with those.

Example:
Bench press
Cable Row
Tricep exercise

Deadlift
Good mornings
Lunges

Vary your intensity and volume of each lift how you deem it fit. Others here will chime in with their great ideas too.
Many thanks Sean
Will give your three day a week program a go.
On each exercise though, how many sets and reps do you recommend?

Looseunitwa

Looseunitwa

Awards
I like Sean's recommendations ^.

A few things since you are 46...
Have you been doing on a reg basis the big leg moves like squats, deads etc.? (do not be embarrassed to say either way, since at 46 yo, you might want to try a pgdl (parallel grip deadlift like suitcase lift, at first anyway) to get more used to that fuller body hip, low back and leg work.

Sometimes but not regular.

Question when you say too sore!?, is that DOMS as in muscle soreness, or joint aches?
If it is muscle/DOMS, lighter moves in the same exercise on other days thru the week can help recovery.
For instance, if I squat heavy every other week, I will at times be sorer, than if I squat more frequently and ease into heavier work thru that cycle. Ending up getting in more volume and the same or even higher loads in that cycle.
It can work like a callous, or a blister. Ease in to get the callous, as too much at once can give you a blister.
As far as joint aches, sometimes less is more. For me at 55, I go by feel at times or taking a little more time to grease my joints with lighter moves, fish oil etc.
Soreness is definately the muscles. Recovery the problem so starting to understand doing too much I think?

I train at home and only utilise dumbells.

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
Try this:

4) Lower- Squat variant

or a 3-Day:

Week 1
1) Vertical press
2) Deadlift
3) Horizontal press
Week 2
1) Squat
2) Pressing movement
3) Deadlift
Week 3 rotate again

Example:
Bench press
Cable Row
Tricep exercise

Deadlift
Good mornings
Lunges

For the alternate week or day workout you posted would it make more sense to put in a pulling movement instead of additional deadlift?