how to become a personal trainer. Any tips?

NASMTyler

Awards
I'm setting up to become a personal trainer. I would like to train mostly younger athletes and good-looking girls of course haha. I was wondering if you guys have any advice for me to get started. I have been reading up on this site that has a long guide on how to become a personal trainer. But I was wondering if you guys had any other advice for me. Thanks in advance!

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Age, Highest Education completed,Where do you plan on training? The demographics you choose should support your cert. Check the ages of that population and ensure your setting yourself up for success.

Do you have access to different facilities and centers around your current area to shadow other individuals? Do you like networking and the research side of exercise science? Choosing an organization must and should match the goals you have set out to accomplish. Also insurance is a biggie if your org. doesn't offer the option make sure your employer does. You working in gym or in-house?

Not a great deal of younger athletes out there nowadays unless working at a complex that specializes with a team IMO but they are out there. You search must start where you can commit to.

Im a NSCA fan myself and studying towards a CSCS cert.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
wanna be a trainer, i dub thee a trainer. seriously. that is all it takes. there is no governing body or required certs to be a trainer.

now if you want to work for a gym or other training facility they may have some sort of prereq's. look at where you want to work and find out what they require and go from there.

as for knowledge, learn it all! start with college level anatomy and physiology books. without those you will just as lame as all the other frat boy trainers that are out for poon. that was a joke. ;) not the lame part, just the frat boy part.

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm setting up to become a personal trainer. I would like to train mostly younger athletes and good-looking girls of course haha. I was wondering if you guys have any advice for me to get started. I have been reading up on this site that has a long guide on how to become a personal trainer. But I was wondering if you guys had any other advice for me. Thanks in advance!
"Would like to train mostly younger athletes and good looking girl?!?! Lmao.....that's cute, but not too realistic.....
U better have another job lined up...
;)

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Too add to the more realistic aspect, older people are probably more likely to need and to want a fitness program. Looking into older adults needs might very well help too. And at times need a bit more special needs because of compromised health situations.
As far as picking and choosing who you want, that is fine, as long as you understand you may limit your income potential a bit that way.
I am guessing the people who will be your clients will most likely be the ones who can afford a trainer, week after week after month after month.
Also, one of things we learned at ACE, (I took the course but let me say, I never went on to be a paid full time trainer) was "keeping" clients longer term. Keeping their motivation especially, goals and interests in sight and keeping things interesting. I think it also pays to be a pretty good listener (for some), since some people just need someone to pay attention to them and listen to their problems at times.
I also do not think one has to be limited to the gym, as I knew our teacher/trainer played tennis, basketball, jogged a track etc. with clients.

As you gain more experience, who knows NFL/NBA/MLB pro athletes etc. aim high!?!?

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Learning how to evolve programs is going to play a huge part in keeping clients which is ultimately going to pay the bills. If you're in it for the ladies I recommend a corporate gym and become good friends with the membership councilors. That way when a hot client comes in you know your buddy will link you two up and you can set the hook with a "free session".